Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>More Nap Time Help
Unregistered 07:15 AM 10-24-2017
What do you do for kids that continuously stand in pack n play? All the kids do it. They aren't crying though, just standing there. They are sleepy! I go in, lay them back down without saying anything and leave the room. Immediately, they are back up. It goes on and on and on. I can't do separate rooms for nap time. These babies need to sleep and I need break. Any advice? 10 months and 11 months.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:38 AM 10-24-2017
At that age I'd let them stand. If they are feeding off each other, position something so they can't see each other. I can't imagine they'll stand for hours everyday. Just let them be, it may take awhile at first, but they'll catch on. Take your break close by, but I wouldn't stress over going back in and laying them down.
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 10-24-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What do you do for kids that continuously stand in pack n play? All the kids do it. They aren't crying though, just standing there. They are sleepy! I go in, lay them back down without saying anything and leave the room. Immediately, they are back up. It goes on and on and on. I can't do separate rooms for nap time. These babies need to sleep and I need break. Any advice? 10 months and 11 months.
I start with a sleep sack (tough to stand in them so most don't) and teach them (via routine and consistency) from the very beginning to not stand up in the PNP or crib.

After nap I enter the room and if they are sitting, I pick them up. If they are standing I will greet them in a cheery voice and remind them to sit. If they don't take the cue (we do this from day one so my kiddos all know the next step) I will gently have them sit and then pick them up. I never ever pick them up out of the PNP or crib from a standing position.

If it's time to go to sleep and the are standing I just go in and lay them down. Over and over and over until they stay laying down. I start with gentle words "Sit down Billy" and remove their hands from the sides and lay them down. Each time I go in I would lay them back down and gradually decrease the conversation until you are no longer saying anything....just laying them back down.

I would do this for as long as it takes to get them to understand the expectations. For some it can takes days and others "get it" fairly quickly but basically the best way to teach any child in infancy or toddler-hood is via routine and consistency.

Hang in there!
Unregistered 07:43 AM 10-24-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
At that age I'd let them stand. If they are feeding off each other, position something so they can't see each other. I can't imagine they'll stand for hours everyday. Just let them be, it may take awhile at first, but they'll catch on. Take your break close by, but I wouldn't stress over going back in and laying them down.
Thank you! I rearranged the room over the weekend so they aren't SO close to one another but they can still see each other and unfortunately there is no way to avoid it. Moving them around didn't seem to help as I had hoped. It's a pretty small room. I wish I could separate them...
Unregistered 07:46 AM 10-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
After nap I enter the room and if they are sitting, I pick them up. If they are standing I will greet them in a cheery voice and remind them to sit. If they don't take the cue (we do this from day one so my kiddos all know the next step) I will gently have them sit and then pick them up. I never ever pick them up out of the PNP or crib from a standing position.
I like this a lot! Thanks!
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 10-24-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you! I rearranged the room over the weekend so they aren't SO close to one another but they can still see each other and unfortunately there is no way to avoid it. Moving them around didn't seem to help as I had hoped. It's a pretty small room. I wish I could separate them...
Could you hang a clothes line like rope or string up towards the ceiling so you can have "curtains" to separate during rest periods? That way they can't see each other.
Tags:nap time, pack n play
Reply Up