Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Time/Space Question
slorey 08:48 AM 01-11-2014
I decided this year to follow the school calendar, so was closed the entire months of July and August. I filed paperwork with my state to be inactive for those 2 months, so I was unable to take children, even if I wanted to. How do I calculate my time/space? I am thinking I would subtract the total hours of july and august from the year's total and use that number as the total possible hours for the year. Is that correct? And, if I do that, can I count any additional hours I worked doing daycare stuff (planning for fall, rearranging my space, organizing toys, etc) those 2 months or not?

Or is it more beneficial to just claim the full year of hours, so I don't have to prorate my yearly bills (mortgage, interest, etc)? My time space percentage if I include July and August's hours is only about 13%, but without them, I assume it wouldn't be much higher (my t/s %is usually 20% or less because of all the time I get off for school breaks).

Not sure what way I am supposed to do it and want to make sure I am right!
Familycare71 09:27 AM 01-11-2014
I calculate t/s by taking the years total hours and the hours I actually worked. Plus the space I have total and the space I use for daycare.
If you are closed over the break I wouldn't think you could count that time unless you were doing childcare related activities...
Hth
slorey 10:04 AM 01-11-2014
I know I wouldn't count it as working time, but wasn't sure if I should change the year's total because I wasn't open those 2 months. Wasn't sure if it was the same type of situation as someone who is not open the full year, because I was open before and after those 2 months, but technically wasn't open the entire year. I hope that makes sense?
TomCopeland 07:15 AM 01-12-2014
Originally Posted by slorey:
I decided this year to follow the school calendar, so was closed the entire months of July and August. I filed paperwork with my state to be inactive for those 2 months, so I was unable to take children, even if I wanted to. How do I calculate my time/space? I am thinking I would subtract the total hours of july and august from the year's total and use that number as the total possible hours for the year. Is that correct? And, if I do that, can I count any additional hours I worked doing daycare stuff (planning for fall, rearranging my space, organizing toys, etc) those 2 months or not?

Or is it more beneficial to just claim the full year of hours, so I don't have to prorate my yearly bills (mortgage, interest, etc)? My time space percentage if I include July and August's hours is only about 13%, but without them, I assume it wouldn't be much higher (my t/s %is usually 20% or less because of all the time I get off for school breaks).

Not sure what way I am supposed to do it and want to make sure I am right!
Here's an article I've written about this: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2013/...he-summer.html
slorey 05:47 AM 01-13-2014
Thanks Tom! So from the article, it seems like I would calculate t/s using the total hours for the year, rather than the reducing the yearly total by taking out the hours for those 2 months. That means a lower T/S percentage, but I was prepared for that anyway, being closed for 2 months. Thanks for clarifying for me! Now just waiting for your tax book to come in the mail so I can finish my taxes
Reply Up