Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2-Year-old Terror
originalkat 11:27 AM 01-25-2010
I am mostly venting here...but any advice/encouragement is welcome!!!
I have had one little boy since he was 5 mo. old. He is a good little boy but has needed firm guidance all the way along. When he was One he would CONSTANTLY be getting into things he shouldnt directly after I corrected him. It took months of firm and consistent discipline for him to "get it". Well, now he is 2 and the youngest and only boy out of 6 kids in my group. He has become a terror. Okay maybe not THAT bad...but he is driving me crazy. He looks for the other kids and hits and pulls hair on purpose!!! He already put a knot on one child's head from banging a toy on on them!

What should I do to make this constant hitting stop!???!!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:09 PM 01-25-2010
when you catch him, right away let him know it's naughty (with a firm no, or naughty) and put him in a 2 min. time out. If he won't sit still for time out, use a playpen. He needs to know that hitting/pulling hair will come with a consequence. Good luck...my youngest was like that when she was that age. It takes a lot of persistance.
gbcc 02:47 AM 01-26-2010
Have you spoken to the parents? What has been their reaction and support with this? Parental support and acknowledgement of the problem is very important in
stoppin the behavior.

I had this problem in the past and with no parental support at home it became a very dangerous situation. The entire family needed counseling and I let them go before another family gave me the altimatum to get rid of him. This boy was attacking (yes, not just hitting but attacking) girls only. That made me suspicious about his home life. He actaully started running one day so quick I didn't even know what was going on. He ran straight towards this 18 mth old girl and clotheslined her.

Be careful with him causing harm to other children. I was worried about liability. My lawyer told me that if I know he has these behaviors and he injures another child then the right sue happy person could find me negligent and they would win.
Tags:discipline, hitting, pulling hair, time out
Reply Up