Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice With a 2 YO
newtodaycare22 10:57 AM 09-14-2011
Ok, I've posted on this a few weeks ago. I just threw in two 2 year olds with my older group (all 4s or about to be 4). One 2 is older and is doing fine. The other has a few behaviors that I'm trying to manage and understand how to discipline. Can someone offer an idea to solve this issue:

Everyday we come back from the park and come inside. Kids stop at the door, take off their shoes, and head to their cots to set them up before lunch. I don't actually expect my 2 year olds to do the setting up but they help friends with blankets and such.

The first weeks with my 2 yo were fine until the past 2 days. Yesterday, she sprints into the kitchen and I see her taking off her shoes. Fine. When I go to help a kid with something else I see her, out of the corner of my eye, take a juice cup on the table (with a tiny bit left from snack) and dump it upside down on the floor yelling I WANT JUICE. Then she throws the cup. I told her "NO, NAME. That is not how we ask for juice." She was stuck in her booster with me while I prepared lunch. She was not a happy camper.

Today, she springs into the kitchen acts like shes about to unstrap her shoes. Ok, I'll give her one last chance here, because she really did take her shoes off yesterday. I turn around for a second and the next thing I know she's in the food cabinet ripping the top off the goldfish container. They go EVERYWHERE and then she starts stuffing them in her mouth. When I say, "NAME, that is NOT OK. You do not get your own food. You need to sit by yourself for a few minutes and think about that." She cried hysterical and then I made her wait with me at the table again while I prepared food.

Any advice? This is the youngest kid I've had and I don't have any of my own. Should I give her an older kid as a buddy to make sure she takes off her shoes and stays out of trouble when we come back? She moves so fast and there are 5 other kids! This all happens within 30 seconds. Thanks!
laundrymom 11:01 AM 09-14-2011
I would put a gate up in the kitchen doorway until you could supervise, I wouldnt let her just run. Or I would keep her beside me instead of letting her run free. As for her grabbing things off the table or out of the cabinet. I would not have been so nice,.. SARAH STOP!!!! NO TOUCH!!!! Come HERE.

??? thats what I would do.

Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Ok, I've posted on this a few weeks ago. I just threw in two 2 year olds with my older group (all 4s or about to be 4). One 2 is older and is doing fine. The other has a few behaviors that I'm trying to manage and understand how to discipline. Can someone offer an idea to solve this issue:

Everyday we come back from the park and come inside. Kids stop at the door, take off their shoes, and head to their cots to set them up before lunch. I don't actually expect my 2 year olds to do the setting up but they help friends with blankets and such.

The first weeks with my 2 yo were fine until the past 2 days. Yesterday, she sprints into the kitchen and I see her taking off her shoes. Fine. When I go to help a kid with something else I see her, out of the corner of my eye, take a juice cup on the table (with a tiny bit left from snack) and dump it upside down on the floor yelling I WANT JUICE. Then she throws the cup. I told her "NO, NAME. That is not how we ask for juice." She was stuck in her booster with me while I prepared lunch. She was not a happy camper.

Today, she springs into the kitchen acts like shes about to unstrap her shoes. Ok, I'll give her one last chance here, because she really did take her shoes off yesterday. I turn around for a second and the next thing I know she's in the food cabinet ripping the top off the goldfish container. They go EVERYWHERE and then she starts stuffing them in her mouth. When I say, "NAME, that is NOT OK. You do not get your own food. You need to sit by yourself for a few minutes and think about that." She cried hysterical and then I made her wait with me at the table again while I prepared food.

Any advice? This is the youngest kid I've had and I don't have any of my own. Should I give her an older kid as a buddy to make sure she takes off her shoes and stays out of trouble when we come back? She moves so fast and there are 5 other kids! This all happens within 30 seconds. Thanks!

newtodaycare22 11:03 AM 09-14-2011
Baby gate-I think that's what I'll do. Thanks. That seems obvious now but without any small ones before her, I never thought of it!
Meeko 11:17 AM 09-14-2011
Gate your kitchen.

I did a few years ago and I LOVE it. It adds safety and it also makes inspections go much faster as it's an off limits area to the children, so doesn't need to be inspected. My licensor just peers in and can see everything is clean and neat. She doesn't have to go in and check every cupboard etc.

It keeps out the "grabbers". I've had a few of those over the years too!

My kitchen is open to the dining area and I could not find a gate that was wide enough AND sturdy enough. The few we found that were wide enough, were wobbly and the kids would shake it.

My dining area of the house (I don't live here) is also the kids lunch room and my office. So I just moved my VERY heavy file cabinet into the kitchen opening and use a regular gate. We do have to hop over it, but it doesn't bother us. When serving meals, I hand everything over the counter to my assistant.

I'm posting a photo as it sounds weird in words alone!
Attached: kitchen gate.jpg (121.7 KB) 
Happiness 11:29 AM 09-14-2011
I do love your idea though about having a BUDDY.... I do that as well with my little ones.. I have three 4 year olds and three 2 and under and my 4 year olds are always helping out with the younger ones shoes and coats... it really teachs caring as well as helping you out too...

I think I would try that and try the gate...
Happiness 11:29 AM 09-14-2011
I do love your idea though about having a BUDDY.... I do that as well with my little ones.. I have three 4 year olds and three 2 and under and my 4 year olds are always helping out with the younger ones shoes and coats... it really teachs caring as well as helping you out too...

I think I would try that and try the gate...
Ariana 11:33 AM 09-14-2011
What's causing the behavior? is she hungry or thirsty? how about packing a little snack to give her before you come inside? Or you could direct her before you come inside on what you want her to do. Get down to her level and tell her what you WANT her to do once she gets inside.
kendallina 02:01 PM 09-14-2011
It sounds like she might be really hungry and is just reacting to that hunger?? Not sure, but if that's it, it may help to pack a little snack for her and have her eat that either at the park or when she walks in the door, she goes right to her booster to have her little snack.

Or yeh, gating the kitchen would prevent her from getting into the food...
nannyde 02:29 PM 09-14-2011
She's just telling you she needs really close supervision at all times. She needs to be with you... by your side.. minute to minute during ALL transitions.

When she has the choice to do the wrong thing she takes it so take away the opportunity.

When we do transitions we stage their movement from one area to the next.

They all come up the stairs one at a time and sit at the second landing about five feet away from the stairs. Then one by one they go thru the kitchen to the rug in the living room. Then they go out the door one by one to the stroller.

They are all in visual shot at all times. If we have to do three staged areas for them to go to and sit to keep all of them in sight... then that's what we have to do.

It would be easier just to send them one by one from the basement to the spot in the living room but we add the extra stop to keep everyone within eyeshot at all times.

WE decide who moves when and at what times. We have them go one by one based on age. The oldest to the youngest.

They learn their order so they know when they are next BUT they don't move from one point to the next without being called.

We teach them to SIT in between each movement so they can wait for all the friends to get to that area before the next move. When they sit they must stay and be still. They aren't allowed to flail around and switch spots.

Little kids really like order. I would organize the ins and outs so she knows where she is to go and when. I would build in "sit and stay" into every movement so she accepts that she must be active... then settle... be active... then settle.

The "settle" time gives them time to "take in" and watch what YOU are doing so they learn YOUR ways.

And.. gate off the kitchen.
newtodaycare22 10:12 AM 09-15-2011
ahh the gate worked great today. Thanks guys.

P.S. She's seriously not THAT hungry or thirsty. We eat snack at 10 and then go to the park. They bring water thermoses. We get back at 11:45. I don't bring snacks anywhere. Not a fan of constant snacking. I've seen the end result with some kids who ALWAYS need something in the car, walking to the car, in the store, etc.

Anyway, thanks again!
newtodaycare22 10:16 AM 09-15-2011
Oh, one more thing...

suggestions about keeping the gate from scratching paint off my doorway?

I got a safety first plastic can and the ends are rubber (I guess, but not super soft). Should I put foam on them to soften the blow on the wall?
laundrymom 10:17 AM 09-15-2011
ahh the gate worked great today. Thanks guys.

P.S. She's seriously not THAT hungry or thirsty. We eat snack and 10 and then go to the park. They bring water thermoses. We get back at 11:45. I don't bring snacks anywhere. Not a fan of constant snacking. I've seen the end result with some kids who ALWAYS need something in the car, walking to the car, in the store, etc.

Anyway, thanks again!
Awesome!!! Glad it worked. I think more than anything shes probably used to no limits, no patience, and being in control.
momofsix 11:52 AM 09-15-2011
Oh, one more thing...

suggestions about keeping the gate from scratching paint off my doorway? I got a safety first plastic can and the ends are rubber (I guess, but not super soft). Should I put foam on them to soften the blow on the wall?
I'd like to hear any ideas for this! All my doorways with gates are absolutely shot-they look horrible
Reply Up