Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent On Daycare Assistance Sending Kids In On Her Day Off
Akd2016 05:56 AM 01-27-2017
I have 3 kids that are on daycare assistance. The mom works Monday through Thursday and off Friday. She sent 2 of the 3 in today. The youngest is 4 months old. The 2 and a half and 3 and a half year old were dropped off by the girl's boyfriend. I thought daycare assistance was to pay for the parents to work or go to school or to look for work. Not a place to stick kids when you want a day to yourself. It wouldn't make me upset but her kids are absolutely terrible (no discipline what do ever at home). They make the day so long! What would you guys do?
Poptarts22 06:03 AM 01-27-2017
Maybe mom has a job interview. Maybe she has a dr appt for a work related injury. Unless you know mom is blatantly scamming the system I would go about my own business and let mom worry about hers.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:06 AM 01-27-2017
I would not accept them or send them home. Not sure, but if she is not working, the state isn't obligated to pay, so you could end up being out that money if she doesn't pay you. I would just let her know that they can only come if she is working bc that is what is allowed to get assistance.
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by Akd2016:
I have 3 kids that are on daycare assistance. The mom works Monday through Thursday and off Friday. She sent 2 of the 3 in today. The youngest is 4 months old. The 2 and a half and 3 and a half year old were dropped off by the girl's boyfriend. I thought daycare assistance was to pay for the parents to work or go to school or to look for work. Not a place to stick kids when you want a day to yourself. It wouldn't make me upset but her kids are absolutely terrible (no discipline what do ever at home). They make the day so long! What would you guys do?
Sounds to me this issue isn't really about assistance but more about having to care for a couple kids that are difficult.

If you don't have this family scheduled for Fridays, then why are you accepting the kids into care just because they showed up? You have the right to expect a schedule and for the family to follow that schedule.

YOU accepted them into care but YOU have the power to say no too...

As far as assistance goes, any questions you have about what time/days the state pays for should be directed to the parent or to your state's assistance program contact person. Most states are pretty good about educating/informing providers what circumstances are covered and what aren't.

If this is a day the state isn't going to cover then you are going to have to collect payment from the family and if that is the case it should have been done PRIOR to actually providing the services.
thrivingchildcarecom 11:56 AM 01-27-2017
Is the assistance a contract between you and the agency? I used to have clients on assistance, however I no longer accept them for these and other reasons. Anyway, it should state in the contract or paperwork what days and times are covered. If they are not covered for certain days, inform the parents that they can not be in attendance at those times. Parents will try this, but honestly if they are not supposed to be there then legally it could be a liability for the provider. I would nicely state that they need to either get the contract changed or keep them at home on the off days.
Leigh 12:35 PM 01-27-2017
I can only get paid from assistance for the hours that the parent is at school or work, along with 30 minutes travel time each way. I WILL watch their children for other days, but they must pay cash in advance for those days, since the state will not pay (they'd make ME pay it back in the case of an audit).
Mom2Two 02:15 PM 01-28-2017
So the mom is paying for the day in advance, right? So it's not really anything to do with the state. If you don't want to offer care for that day, then just say you don't want to.

You could tell mom that you want Friday to be an easier day with a lighter load of children, but that if her work schedule changes, she can let you know through the regular way, where you give a quote on the state form (or however it works in your state).
Meeko 05:29 PM 01-29-2017
I guess it depends on your state. In Utah, the state pays the full time rate, in advance, as long as the parent is scheduled to work at least 30 hours a week. So I am paid my full time rate by the state regardless. So state moms sometimes drop of when they are not working...just like the self-pay ones do. If they work less that 30 hours, they have to make up the difference of my weekly rate anyway as I don't give part time rates....so I am always paid my full amount.

If you only get paid when the mom is actually working....that's different and you should tell the mom that you will only provide care for work hours.
Play Care 06:07 AM 01-30-2017
In my state they only pay if a parent is working.
I don't care if they need a kid free day to get things done, but I do need to know so I don't put in for those days. I know providers who have been arrested when they do crackdowns because they act as though the provider is complicit in the fraud.
As another poster suggested, it's best to call and find out exactly what your laws are regarding state pay/assistance.
Tags:parents - don't want kids
Reply Up