Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CACFP Question
KBCsMommy 01:51 PM 12-11-2011
So I just started the food program this week.......

Is it only 1 year olds and up that you serve a fruit AND a vegetable at lunch?

And all kids under a year get either a fruit OR vegetable........or do we serve them both a fruit and vegetable too like the over 1 year olds?

YKWIM?!!!
caring4kidsinSD 04:28 PM 12-11-2011
Over 1 it's both -

Under 1 it's your choice(I usually serve fruit with breakfast, and the veggie with lunch for the babies)
Unregistered 04:54 PM 12-11-2011
I have served meals of '1 veggie AND 1 fruit' as well as '2 veggies and NO fruits' to kids over 1 yrs old and have had no issue with credibility with that combination. I have never heard of the rule that they must have fruit with every meal.

I sometimes serve fruit for a.m. and p.m. snacks but only veggies with breakfast and lunch.

Strange how different states/agencies have such differing rules.

If I were you, I would call my food program coordinator so that you are sure you are meeting the requirements of your program.
KBCsMommy 06:54 PM 12-11-2011
Caring4kids....Thank you so much!!!!!
Abigail 08:55 PM 12-11-2011
I just joined the food program this month and thank goodness I call all the time to ask questions or I would have forgot to send in my monthly claim. In November I only had one girl here one day as a drop in so it wouldn't be a big deal if I messed up and couldn't claim it. The food program lady asked if I meant to submit my claim for only one child one day and i said yes. She laughed because she's never sent out a $2 check ha ha. The way enrollment is going this month it looks like I will be lucky to get a check from the food program...January will be my first good month to work with them. Definately call and ask questions or get an email and email even if it's just one question. Better now than months into it or they may question your past meals.

For babies 8 months on up we need to give one or the other too for the meal and formula/bm. Not both frut and vege until they're on regular table food at age 1.
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 12-12-2011
http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/Pro...ld_LunchSupper

Here is a link to the USDA guidelines. You are only required to serve 2 fruits OR 2 vegetables OR 1 of each.

Lunches and suppers do NOT require a fruit to always be served.

The only requirement is there be 2 components (fruits OR vegetables).
KBCsMommy 08:34 AM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have served meals of '1 veggie AND 1 fruit' as well as '2 veggies and NO fruits' to kids over 1 yrs old and have had no issue with credibility with that combination. I have never heard of the rule that they must have fruit with every meal.

I sometimes serve fruit for a.m. and p.m. snacks but only veggies with breakfast and lunch.

Strange how different states/agencies have such differing rules.

If I were you, I would call my food program coordinator so that you are sure you are meeting the requirements of your program.
Its only for lunch!!! Food program guy said for lunch the kids must have a fruit AND a vegetable.

I told him thats conflicting to what the CACFP handbook says because it says AND/OR fruit or vegetable. Its not worded correctly!!!

I think thats the only thing California is set on!!! I kept asking him questions about preparing the food and such....he kept saying as long as you serve the kids according to the meal plan thats fine and more not less is always best!!!
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
Its only for lunch!!! Food program guy said for lunch the kids must have a fruit AND a vegetable.

I told him thats conflicting to what the CACFP handbook says because it says AND/OR fruit or vegetable. Its not worded correctly!!!

I think thats the only thing California is set on!!! I kept asking him questions about preparing the food and such....he kept saying as long as you serve the kids according to the meal plan thats fine and more not less is always best!!!
Is he telling you to do something different than the CACFP book/rules are saying to do? I would tell him you want to see that in writing.

Otherwise, I would stick to what your CACFP handbook says. At least you have something concrete to back you up that way. I think that is the safest route to go IMPO.
KBCsMommy 08:40 AM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/Pro...ld_LunchSupper

Here is a link to the USDA guidelines. You are only required to serve 2 fruits OR 2 vegetables OR 1 of each.

Lunches and suppers do NOT require a fruit to always be served.

The only requirement is there be 2 components (fruits OR vegetables).
Thank you so much Blackcat!!
caring4kidsinSD 11:04 AM 12-12-2011
Our programs says we have to serve 1 of each -1/4 cup of each but have to have a fruit and a veggie each lunchtime
Tags:cacfp, food program - california
Reply Up