Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did You Know That Rapidly Multiplying Open Sores On The Face And Hands Is From....
SunshineMama 12:47 PM 03-27-2012
TEETHING?

Because dcd just text me that is his hypothesis as to why dcb is sick today and I didn't really have to call them to pick him up.

Yes... that actually happened just now..

OK LADIES: Throw em out there....

What was the BEST teething diagnosis you have gotten from a dcp?

The herpes-like, rapidly multiplying in one day open facial sores today has to be my #1.
saved4always 12:57 PM 03-27-2012
Yeah..besides "teething" fevers and irritability, I've got nothing. No way I can top yours....lol!!!!
Heidi 12:57 PM 03-27-2012
I can't top that one!

I did have a mom tell me once that I should not exclude her 18 mo from dc for diarrea, since adults go to work with it all the time....arg
daycare 01:00 PM 03-27-2012
Hmmm don't know, but I just sent a child home that has melescum infection???? Never heard of it... I looked online and it says that it is contagious, but then says children should not be excluded... I don't do any kind of rash of any kind with out a written diagnosis from a doctor. I don't do can return to care or not contagious. I want to know what i am dealing with and getting myself into......

Wow that sounds really bad...Hope you are not going to be up all night having to clean like I am......
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 03-27-2012
My 23 month old little DCB threw up last week. Two days after mom was home with the flu/stomache bug.

Mom called after she went in to the Dr. and told me the doctor was pretty sure he threw up due to teething.
daycare 01:21 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My 23 month old little DCB threw up last week. Two days after mom was home with the flu/stomache bug.

Mom called after she went in to the Dr. and told me the doctor was pretty sure he threw up due to teething.
I fell off my chair............lol OMG that is soooo funny

I had a parent tell me one time that the reason her 5 year old was not potty trained was because of a "LAZY" genetic disorder......Now that was funny

I was like if they pay disability for that disorder I know a lot of "lazy" people who could benefit......UGH
SunshineMama 01:36 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Hmmm don't know, but I just sent a child home that has melescum infection???? Never heard of it... I looked online and it says that it is contagious, but then says children should not be excluded... I don't do any kind of rash of any kind with out a written diagnosis from a doctor. I don't do can return to care or not contagious. I want to know what i am dealing with and getting myself into......

Wow that sounds really bad...Hope you are not going to be up all night having to clean like I am......
Oh yes, I am sure I will go through a few bottles of Lysol! I usually opt for a more natural cleaning agent but today I'm going for the big guns!
daycare 01:37 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Oh yes, I am sure I will go through a few bottles of Lysol! I usually opt for a more natural cleaning agent but today I'm going for the big guns!
gosh and I hate the mental aspects of it...Im super itchy now....lol What is wrong with me....
SunshineMama 01:50 PM 03-27-2012
Seriously! My palms are tingling right now. I want all these kids to hurry up and go so I can de-germ.
countrymom 02:25 PM 03-27-2012
I fell off my chair............lol OMG that is soooo funny

I had a parent tell me one time that the reason her 5 year old was not potty trained was because of a "LAZY" genetic disorder......Now that was funny

I was like if they pay disability for that disorder I know a lot of "lazy" people who could benefit......UGH
don't laugh but I've gotten this one too.
daycare 02:28 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
don't laugh but I've gotten this one too.
hahahhahahh was the kid from california?? ahahhahahahahaa REALLY PEOPLE.....its called parenting......
skittles 02:43 PM 03-27-2012
ok runny nose, diarhea, low grade fever, cranky when awake, sleeping more than usual (infant). Refusal from parent to pick up, texts they themselves are sick and wants to know if sibling can still come to daycare the next day. OMG come on!
skittles 02:43 PM 03-27-2012
oh they are sick but their baby is "teething"
SunshineMama 03:01 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by skittles:
oh they are sick but their baby is "teething"
I dont understand how parents can be this ignorant about illness. I SHOWED dcm 9 different lesions on the child's hands and mouth, explained that they got worse throughout the day, and were multiplying.

How the heck can teething cause small pimple like lesions that multiply and turn into blisters that crack open... in one day- no, in 1/2 a day!?! Does that even make sense?

I would blame it on them being first time parents, but isn't is usually the opposite- small things are huge for first time parents. Not these people. Nothing phases them.

It's kinda scary actually.
daycare 03:03 PM 03-27-2012
Oh god I hope its not hand foot and mouth
did you tell DCM that the DCK needs to go to the doc and have note of diagnosis before child can return??
SunshineMama 03:13 PM 03-27-2012
Oh god I hope its not hand foot and mouth
did you tell DCM that the DCK needs to go to the doc and have note of diagnosis before child can return??
I am pretty sure it IS hand foot and mouth.

I did not tell the mom I needed a doctors note. I do not know what was wrong with me when they came to get him. I had this whole speech I was going to say- to use my backbone, etc. I was so floored that she kept just saying it was teething that my whole mind just went blank on me and then another parent came to pick up their child and the mom whisked the kid out of the door before I said anything.

This is the same 1 year old I was talking about in the other post about reducing my numbers. I think it is a no-brainer to term at this point. I am waiting to hear back from dh tomorrow about his discussion with his boss for a raise (fingers crossed). I hope they give him a good one. I HOPE they give him a $20,000 raise and I dont have to do daycare anymore (Hey, I can wish right).
daycare 03:20 PM 03-27-2012
I am pretty sure it IS hand foot and mouth.

I did not tell the mom I needed a doctors note. I do not know what was wrong with me when they came to get him. I had this whole speech I was going to say- to use my backbone, etc. I was so floored that she kept just saying it was teething that my whole mind just went blank on me and then another parent came to pick up their child and the mom whisked the kid out of the door before I said anything.

This is the same 1 year old I was talking about in the other post about reducing my numbers. I think it is a no-brainer to term at this point. I am waiting to hear back from dh tomorrow about his discussion with his boss for a raise (fingers crossed). I hope they give him a good one. I HOPE they give him a $20,000 raise and I dont have to do daycare anymore (Hey, I can wish right).
hey we can all wish..

If it is hand foot and mouth you need to let all the parents know.
DCK cannot come back until the rash has scabbed over and free of fever without the aide of meds...

UGH that stuff is highly contagious....
SunshineMama 04:46 AM 03-28-2012
DCM called me early this morning to let me know they decided to take him to the doctor. YAY! Finally!

She said, that, while he only had one more spot appear (Um- ONLY one more spot- if the spots are increasing is that not a sign that something is amiss?) he had a diaper rash that they have never seen before.

I am just waiting for her to call or text me later on and tell me that its Hand Foot and Mouth

She was sure to mention, however, that hopefully it is just teething and he will be back later if so.
godiva83 05:02 AM 03-28-2012
The teething excuse is just plain ignorant, and disrespectful in my opinion. I think some parents believe we are so stupid.

I have one DCB I should have termed from the get go he has brought so much illness into my home because of his 'teething'
This boy must have 60+ teeth by now and has been ill since he has started over a year
nannyde 05:06 AM 03-28-2012
Hey friend,

Lysol doesn't kill the hand foot and mouth virus. It won't do you any good to Lysol the toys.

I did a ton of research on this four years ago and only found bleach and one hospital grade disinfectant that killed it. Now maybe lysol has changed their formula in the last few years but if you google lysol and check the viruses it kills I don't think you will find it on there.
C'est la vie. 05:14 AM 03-28-2012

I am SO insanely familiar with Mollescum (mollescum CONTAGIOUSUM), note the word contagious in there. Unfortunately you really can't exclude for several years which is what it takes to be rid of this infection. It is contagious, but though I worked with it for years, I only know one staff who ever caught it, and she had it burned off immediately and didn't have any other issues. So though sibs and cousins may pass it to each other, it's not likely to be passed to you. It's hard to handle though since the warts either have to be burned off or kept covered to make sure. It's contagious, just not highly so.

As for hand foot and mouth, and impetigo... so familiar with those. After my last job I feel like a skin doctor. Children at my old centre were riddled with mollescum, lice, impetigo and hand foot and mouth because of overcrowding in homes. I miss my old work, i don't miss the maladies though.
SilverSabre25 05:15 AM 03-28-2012
That is a really lame thing to blame on teething.

I have seen teething legitimately cause low-grade (99ish) fevers, often just before the tooth breaks through. I've seen teething (usually eye teeth) cause a slight runny nose. I've seen teething cause a slight case of diarrhea.

BUT I know for a darn fact that teething doesn't usually cause MAJOR symptoms. Well, except crankiness. Majorly cranky? Sure...that's teething through and through especially if you're my son.

I guess by those parents' logic I should be blaming my son's 102 fever, diarrhea, and vomiting since Saturday morning on the tooth that's also about to break through.

Don't worry, I'm not...I know that he's sick :P I'm not that dumb.
SunshineMama 05:28 AM 03-28-2012
OH NOOOOO! Lysol doesn't kill Hand Foot and Mouth! Darnit! Ok, looks like I am going to have to get out the bleach! My house is really going to stink now
MrsB 06:08 AM 03-28-2012
Oh there have been so many laughable excuses over the years, I think I may have forgotten most of them.

This one was pretty funny to me though that happened a few weeks ago.

I called everyone Monday morning to say I had a stomach bug, but was well enough to do daycare. Parents choice on wether they want to expose them or not. One parent chose to bring their 21 mos old daughter. Moms excuse, dad and I are home from work sick. I figured it would be better to expose her to you rather than 2 of us sick at home!

I nearly died laughing, I just couldnt help it! I was laughing so hard, it couldnt even say anything. It just plain tickled me. She had no idea why I was laughing so hard. She ended up walking out totally bewildered.

oh wait.... wait.... it gets better.

On moms way out at pick up a receipt dropped out of her pocket. It was for buffalo wild wings dated that day at 12:43pm. Hmmmmm. I ran it out to her as she was getting in her car. "Oh this dropped out of your pocket. Hmmmm must have been feeling better huh? or did you decide that it was better to stay away from the house so you didnt contaminate it for little Jane."

nannyde 06:52 AM 03-28-2012
OH NOOOOO! Lysol doesn't kill Hand Foot and Mouth! Darnit! Ok, looks like I am going to have to get out the bleach! My house is really going to stink now
I hate bleach.

I can't stand the smell of it. It's wicked toxic to me.

I just bought a bottle of flavored smelling bleach so I'm praying it doesn't stink as much as regular bleach.
dEHmom 06:57 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

A few weeks ago, I had one dck throw up during nap time. Phoned and got picked up.

Another threw up and exploded diaper, phoned, got picked up.

The third threw up, wicked fever and diarrhea, phoned got picked up.

1 of the 3 went to doc first thing next day.

ALL parents said teething.

mmmmhmmmmmmm.......The next day I was sick and the following few days my children sick. Teething huh?! who knew teething was contagious.
SunshineMama 07:16 AM 03-28-2012

Just got the call from dcd:

Yup... it's Hand Foot and Mouth

Does anyone know if you can catch the SAME HFAM virus twice? I know there are different strains but is it possible to get the same strain more than once?

Ick!
Crystal 07:41 AM 03-28-2012
Here is a fact sheet on HFM:

http://ucsfchildcarehealth.org/pdfs/...Mouth_0509.pdf
Tags:infection, open sores, teething
Reply Up