Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tamper Resistant Outlets??
mim 12:33 PM 05-30-2014
So with summer break going on and my own SA's home, they are constantly keeping me on my toes. They remove the electrical outlet covers to plug in their tablets and such and then forget to put the covers back in. And my DH vacuums and forgets to put the cover on. So 50 times a day I have to walk around to make sure all outlets are covered.

Anyways to the point and my question.
Does anyone have or know anyone who has tried the

Leviton brand
Model # R62-T5320-00W
15 Amp Tamper-Resistant Duplex Outlet - White

I am wondering how good they are because our local DIY home improvement store has them for $1.19, but amazon has them for $5.29

I am kond of afraid to buy from out DIY store, because DH says the cheap outlets are the ones that catch your house on fire.

Any reviews or suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Crazy8 12:45 PM 05-30-2014
I don't have those but have the slide kind because I hated dealing with those little plug in covers. These are the ones I have I think…. http://www.amazon.com/Kidco-Universa...+outlet+covers

Wubby 01:02 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I don't have those but have the slide kind because I hated dealing with those little plug in covers. These are the ones I have I think…. http://www.amazon.com/Kidco-Universa...+outlet+covers

Yep this is what I use. Love, Love, Love them.
mim 01:07 PM 05-30-2014
Thanks. I have not ever seen those ones before. That will probably make DH feel better.
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 05-30-2014
I use ones similar to Crazy8 but mine swivel instead of slide sideways.

Like this:

LysesKids 01:12 PM 05-30-2014

Ditto… this is what I have
TwinKristi 01:14 PM 05-30-2014
The Leviton TR outlets are the best thing you can do. My dh has installed them in preschools, nurseries and homes. They pass fire inspection regulations for centers/preschools.
craftymissbeth 01:17 PM 05-30-2014
How funny, I was just thinking about replacing the outlets in my playroom with those!

For those who have them, do you not need outlet covers at all? And is the fire marshal ok with that? I'm going to call Monday, but I was just curious.
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
How funny, I was just thinking about replacing the outlets in my playroom with those!

For those who have them, do you not need outlet covers at all? And is the fire marshal ok with that? I'm going to call Monday, but I was just curious.
Our licensing agency approves them.

If they want to argue, I can have my 22 month old DCG gather up the all plastic covers they normally want us to use so they can "see" how well they work.

She takes them out in 2 seconds flat but does NOT have the small motor skills to figure out the slide/twist ones.
TwinKristi 01:56 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:

The Fire Marshall requested them actually. And no, no cover needed. There has to be even pressure applied to both slots simultaneously to open. Not just a toy shoved in.
Second Home 02:04 PM 05-30-2014
We bought these to put in our basement when it is finished .
My dh is an electrical engineer , if he feels they are safe I don't think they will be a problem . He would not use anything electrical that is not safe .
TwinKristi 02:18 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
We bought these to put in our basement when it is finished .
My dh is an electrical engineer , if he feels they are safe I don't think they will be a problem . He would not use anything electrical that is not safe .
Link
These are not only safe, but required in some areas of new homes now!
craftymissbeth 02:22 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
These are not only safe, but required in some areas of new homes now!
That's what I've seen. I'm going to call both licensing and the fire Marshall on Monday. My town is a small, backwards town and nothing ever makes sense here. I have to check my rear with everything.

Now that I think about it, I had one outlet uncovered in my laundry room (inaccessible to dcks) and my licensor didn't mention it until it came time at the end of the visit to tell me everything I missed. She never even asked if it was a tamper resistant plug and you can't see inside the prong holes(don't know what those are called lol). All you can see from where it's located is that it's uncovered.
Leigh 03:23 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I use ones similar to Crazy8 but mine swivel instead of slide sideways.

Like this:

I use these, too. LOVE them.
SillyGrl 05:15 PM 05-30-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our licensing agency approves them.

If they want to argue, I can have my 22 month old DCG gather up the all plastic covers they normally want us to use so they can "see" how well they work.

She takes them out in 2 seconds flat but does NOT have the small motor skills to figure out the slide/twist ones.
The only time my kids mess with outlets is when they have those covers on them. And I haven't found a kid yet who doesn't pull it off within seconds.
Childminder 07:47 PM 05-30-2014
I have some of the Levitron and DH got them from Home Depot, they work well and Licensing said nothing about them either way so i don't know if she checked them or not.

I also have/do utilize some of the swivel kind and like them well enough. One issue though I have had is sometimes they don't spring back with out a little help.
TwinKristi 01:49 AM 05-31-2014
They have TR on them to specify that it's tamper resistant.
Josiegirl 11:07 AM 05-31-2014
Stupid question but can a totally inept homeowner put them in herself?
TwinKristi 11:22 AM 05-31-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Stupid question but can a totally inept homeowner put them in herself?
No way. This isn't just changing the cover plate like those swivel ones. This is the actual plug itself.
Childminder 12:19 PM 05-31-2014
I am very competent building and repairing most everything, in fact I've been called a combination of Mary Poppins, Bob Vila and Martha Stewart, and I won't attempt to put one in. I have a big fear of electricity.

If you do try it make certain you turn the power off at the breaker!!!!
Josiegirl 01:10 PM 05-31-2014
http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Plate-Ele...productDetails

But these say they're simple to install; you just replace the covers?

I don't think we're talking about the same ones. I hope.
TwinKristi 01:25 PM 05-31-2014

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Plate-Ele...productDetails

But these say they're simple to install; you just replace the covers?

I don't think we're talking about the same ones. I hope.
These are the same products but the one the OP specified (Leviton brand Model # R62-T5320-00W 15 Amp Tamper-Resistant Duplex Outlet - White) is called a Tamper Resistant outlet by Leviton and is an actual plug with a built in protection mechanism. The ones above go over your existing plug and can be installed yourself but the actual outlets need to be installed by a professional. Since my dh is an electrician and I know a bit, I could probably do it myself with the power shut off, but I would be nervous. LOL It requires connecting wires to the outlet and such which can cause a short and other issues if not done properly. The ones above are not the same as the ones required in homes and pass a fire Marshall inspection.
Josiegirl 01:29 PM 05-31-2014
Thanks Twink, that's what I thought. Yeh, I don't do anything that's connected to wires.
But the other ones much better than the plugs that toddlers can get out themselves right? Licensing approved? When I was inspected, I had the simple plugs(which I hate!) and nothing was said?
Margarete 06:00 PM 06-01-2014
I think that switching these out are pretty simple... I am a bit of a do it yourself-er, and have several electricians in the family, but after you have done one, you will think it's easy too.
It's easy to test if you have the correct circuit turned off, by plugging something in and waiting to see if the light turns out, you don't even need a voltage meter if your working with undamaged outlets, and can test them. After that is done you can switch out the wires without fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfZAE1VQPEY
Reply Up