Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need a Backbone
hope 07:22 AM 11-25-2014
I give a discount for my teachers and specifically state in my contract that the discount is given because teachers are to keep their children home when they do not have school. I am still yo be paid. This works to my favor for the most part. I have a much lighter load for fall winter and spring break and I still get paid.
Schools have a half day tomorrow and I have only one teacher scheduled. Yesterday at pick up she said to me that her husband may be keeping the kids home Wednesday bc his family would be flying in that day and he would take the day off work. She said he may decide to go to work and if so she wouldn't pick up when she got off of work bc it would be in the middle of her children's nap time. True. I don't really mind having them here while they nap but I would like her to pick up as soon as they wake. Her children are my most difficult. Dcm is by far my most difficult parent. She lingers and nit picks her child's day here. She told me she would let me know about Wednesday. I replied the same and she looked confused. This morning she said the kids are coming. I just nodded. I want to tell her to pick up at 3 but anything I say to this dcm turns into a big discussion and I am quite the wimp. Any suggestions on how I can tell her this and how to follow through to put a stop to a long debate by her? I am trying to get a backbone here. Always hard with this particular dcm.
Unregistered 08:07 AM 11-25-2014
Maybe asking "So are you wishing to switch the regular non discounted rate that my non-teachers pay? If so, I can get a new contract printed up."

or let her know of an hourly rate that will be charged for time after the school is closed and the children are still in care.
Indoorvoice 08:12 AM 11-25-2014
When she comes to pick up today, I would just say as she walks out the door, "I'll call you tomorrow as soon as the kids wake up so you can come get them! Plan on around 3:00!" If she tries to question it, just say, "oh, well your discounted teacher rate is only for when you keep the kids home when you're home, so if you need me to watch them the full day, it will be $xx. Thanks!"
Kimskiddos 08:15 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
When she comes to pick up today, I would just say as she walks out the door, "I'll call you tomorrow as soon as the kids wake up so you can come get them! Plan on around 3:00!" If she tries to question it, just say, "oh, well your discounted teacher rate is only for when you keep the kids home when you're home, so if you need me to watch them the full day, it will be $xx. Thanks!"

hope 08:35 AM 11-25-2014
If I call her she will take an hour and use the snow we are going to get as an excuse. Her normal pick up time is 3:30 but like I said before....she lingers. Part of me feels like having an uncomfortable discussion over a half hour is not worth it. I could say nothing and tell her I am busy at pick up so she doesn't linger. On the other hand, I feel like I need to speak up bc she takes advantage.
Unregistered 09:43 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I give a discount for my teachers and specifically state in my contract that the discount is given because teachers are to keep their children home when they do not have school. I am still yo be paid. This works to my favor for the most part. I have a much lighter load for fall winter and spring break and I still get paid.
Schools have a half day tomorrow and I have only one teacher scheduled. Yesterday at pick up she said to me that her husband may be keeping the kids home Wednesday bc his family would be flying in that day and he would take the day off work. She said he may decide to go to work and if so she wouldn't pick up when she got off of work bc it would be in the middle of her children's nap time. True. I don't really mind having them here while they nap but I would like her to pick up as soon as they wake. Her children are my most difficult. Dcm is by far my most difficult parent. She lingers and nit picks her child's day here. She told me she would let me know about Wednesday. I replied the same and she looked confused. This morning she said the kids are coming. I just nodded. I want to tell her to pick up at 3 but anything I say to this dcm turns into a big discussion and I am quite the wimp. Any suggestions on how I can tell her this and how to follow through to put a stop to a long debate by her? I am trying to get a backbone here. Always hard with this particular dcm.
How far into nap time would she pick up of she picked up when she was off work?
rosieteddy 11:23 AM 11-25-2014
Tell her to pick up at 3 pm .Have the children up and coats on ready to leave.I would not do snack and have your coat on and be ready to walk out with her.Even if you just walk to mailbox or yard be ready .If she says she won't then charge a late fee.I always find it easier to give a note at the end of the day (chicken I know) spell it out Your closing at 3 pm pick up on time or late fee applies.
TheGoodLife 11:45 AM 11-25-2014
If I call her she will take an hour and use the snow we are going to get as an excuse.
Snow excuse= "yes, you might need to leave earlier to make sure you can make it here by 3. At least you should miss heavy traffic, that'll be so much safer for you guys!"

Lingering= "Great, well I have to get back to the kids. Have a nice night!"
hope 12:45 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How far into nap time would she pick up of she picked up when she was off work?
The latest she gets out is one and her child goes down at one. She works 20 minutes away. I really wish I had spoken up when she first talked about it and said that I can keep her up the 20 minutes.
I have been advertising like crazy bc I can't stand the way this dcm acts. Right now I can't afford to lose her.
lovemykidstoo 12:53 PM 11-25-2014
The latest she gets out is one and her child goes down at one. She works 20 minutes away. I really wish I had spoken up when she first talked about it and said that I can keep her up the 20 minutes.
I have been advertising like crazy bc I can't stand the way this dcm acts. Right now I can't afford to lose her.
I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm confused. Tomorrow is an off day for her and she wants the child to come? She would normally have paid you for that if the child stayed home? How much do you charge until 3:30?
hope 06:12 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm confused. Tomorrow is an off day for her and she wants the child to come? She would normally have paid you for that if the child stayed home? How much do you charge until 3:30?
Tomorrow is a normal day for me to have this dcms two children. She is a teacher. I have a reduced rate for teachers BUT they have to agree to keep their children home when they are not teaching in school (half days and school closings) paid to me. So tomorrow she has a half day but doesn't want to pick up till her regular time because she doesn't want to interrupt nap time. We'll she gets out at 1pm and nap time is 1 pm. I can easily hold nap off for the 20 minutes it would take her to get here. I didnt speak up when she first mentioned it and didnt want her to argue. Anyway, I solved the problem.
My DD has a half day also. I normally pay my sub to pick dd from school. Sub can't tomorrow so I told dcm she had to pick up as soon as she is done with work so I can pick up dd. I expected her to argue and I would have then showed her the signed contract but she is having her husband pick up at lunch time. Ya!
lovemykidstoo 06:22 PM 11-25-2014
Tomorrow is a normal day for me to have this dcms two children. She is a teacher. I have a reduced rate for teachers BUT they have to agree to keep their children home when they are not teaching in school (half days and school closings) paid to me. So tomorrow she has a half day but doesn't want to pick up till her regular time because she doesn't want to interrupt nap time. We'll she gets out at 1pm and nap time is 1 pm. I can easily hold nap off for the 20 minutes it would take her to get here. I didnt speak up when she first mentioned it and didnt want her to argue. Anyway, I solved the problem.
My DD has a half day also. I normally pay my sub to pick dd from school. Sub can't tomorrow so I told dcm she had to pick up as soon as she is done with work so I can pick up dd. I expected her to argue and I would have then showed her the signed contract but she is having her husband pick up at lunch time. Ya!
OK, got ya. That makes complete sense. So glad that worked out for you!!! I definately would hold dcg up till she got there too instead of a nap. You had a pretty easy out on that, so it worked out awesome!!
My3cents 11:28 AM 11-26-2014
When a parent picks up early it is like a bonus to you. I would not do a discount rate. I would do a rate that is for the child's spot in my care. I also have a clause that states, if you are not working or in school your child should be with you- Your weekly payment reserves a spot for the week for your child's care for when you can not be with your child for care, no matter if the child is here or not. No discount. I don't give discounted care! Make it clear to your teachers when they are done work or off they need to be with the child unless you like to give them breaks- and I do that. but when everyday becomes a mental health day- no no no! You need to be able to anticipate a weekly income.

If a teacher wants the spot come fall, they need to pay you year round to keep the spot. Over the summer if they want to come a few days great- but I need to know in advance what that schedule is going to be so that I can plan.
Tags:backbone
Reply Up