Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The future of my group.......
daycare 01:37 PM 11-14-2012
Right now I have some really strong leaders in my group. They are all the older kids in my group and everyone of them will age out this coming fall.

they all posses strong leadership skills and are very helpful to my group over all.
One of them is my own child.

Today while out on a field trip, I thought to myself, what is going to happen to my group when my strong leaders leave. I look at the kids that will still be here and think there is NO way that these children will ever live up to the amount of leadership that these older ones have. I know that is not fair to say and I will do everything in my power to help them become strong leaders, I just know in my heart of hearts that they will not be.

What are some lessons you teach to help children become strong leaders. Also, these children that will become the future leaders of my childcare, have a LOT of behavioral issues.
Blackcat31 02:50 PM 11-14-2012
You'd be surprised at how a child can learn to adapt and step up to the rules and expectations placed on them. What you see now as a follower, may just prove to be an excellent leader when all the other older kids are no longer present.

Also for every leader we have in the world, you need a follower or two or the leader would not be a leader...kwim?

The dynamics of a group are so unpredictable and complex that you would be doing yourself and them a great diservice to think that they won't or can't step up to the plate when the time comes.

I have had several DCK's that I thought were surely going to fail or not be all they can be, only to find out that they did not fail and were much more than I gave them credit for! Kids I thought would be shy and meek in school turned out to be the ones who were bossy and in charge while kids who were really great leaders here turned into shy, quiet and reserved children with a new group of peers and a new environment.

The variable in every environement are so different and ever changing that one just never knows what the future holds! Just keep encouraging them and you just might see bigger stronger and even more talented leaders!
daycare 02:56 PM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You'd be surprised at how a child can learn to adapt and step up to the rules and expectations placed on them. What you see now as a follower, may just prove to be an excellent leader when all the other older kids are no longer present.

Also for every leader we have in the world, you need a follower or two or the leader would not be a leader...kwim?

The dynamics of a group are so unpredictable and complex that you would be doing yourself and them a great diservice to think that they won't or can't step up to the plate when the time comes.

I have had several DCK's that I thought were surely going to fail or not be all they can be, only to find out that they did not fail and were much more than I gave them credit for! Kids I thought would be shy and meek in school turned out to be the ones who were bossy and in charge while kids who were really great leaders here turned into shy, quiet and reserved children with a new group of peers and a new environment.

The variable in every environement are so different and ever changing that one just never knows what the future holds! Just keep encouraging them and you just might see bigger stronger and even more talented leaders!
very good post BC, I never expect less.....lol

I guess it is because when I do have these kids in their own age groups, I struggle to see their abilities to lead. Instead I find that they lead in negative ways instead of ways that are positive or helpful.

I do plan to encourage each and every one of them to be the best that they can be, leader or not.

I do find that in each age group that there is one strong leader, just leading bad advice or activities to others.

I guess I have to just wait it out and see.... Trying to look into the future now, I just see one hot mess....lol
Reply Up