Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Repurpose PnP?
Nisaryn 05:41 AM 04-01-2016
Hello all! All my kids are now over the 1yr age mark. I believe they should be transitioning to cots correct? I live in CA by the way. I don't really want to get rid of my PnPs and can't really afford the cots. I've seen images of PnPs that were converted into beds be cutting out the net on one side...do you think licensing would be ok if I did this? I won't be using them again, as my son/current kids age up I plan to keep all kids a similar age so no more little babies.
sharlan 08:37 AM 04-01-2016
We don't have any regs regarding this. I think it would be fine. My question is what if you end up taking an infant?

I said no more infants but not have a 15 mo.
daycarediva 09:48 AM 04-01-2016
I don't put kids on cots or out of pack and plays until they are between 18m-2y.

Would your 1yo's stay on a cot?

I am not sure, but I would check with licensing. I almost got cited by a former licensar because I had a quarter size hole in my pack and play mesh. I had to replace the pnp.
Unregistered 11:15 AM 04-01-2016
In my state that could be considered a modification to sleep equipment, which is not allowed.
Unregistered 12:27 AM 04-02-2016
I have the kids bring sleeping bags. I take kids one and up. On rare occasion, 9 months. Kids one and up are on sleeping bags. On occasion in a Pnp till 14/15 mo.

I would not cut up the Pnp. I'd save them for younger kids.
Alisyn 07:46 AM 04-02-2016
I repurposed my pnp....not for sleeping arrangements though, but for my gd when she came over. Biggest mistake I could have made At the time I also was done with keeping infants, then BAM....took an infant and had to get another
spedmommy4 08:08 AM 04-02-2016
I live in California too. Personally, I wouldn't repurpose a pnp. Licensing is vague on the rules so I've found that each analyst interprets them a little differently.

The cots are really expensive but I found mine (Angeles brand) on Craigslist for $10 each. I'd check Craigslist or purchase them one at a time instead of modifying the pnp's.
Unregistered 11:39 AM 04-02-2016
Go ahead and repurpose it, but don't use it for sleeping. Use it as a reading nook, with a small basket of books and some bright throw pillows. Doubt if licensing would have a problem with it at all if you used it in this manner.
KarenSue 10:58 AM 04-04-2016
The repurposing all sounds cute. But I'm sure my toddlers would be monkeys in them. I can see them swinging from the top frame on the side the mesh is cut out of.
Nisaryn 11:01 PM 04-04-2016
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to hang on to the PnPs and see about getting some cots instead.

I don't plan on taking infants ever again since I don't plan to keep running my daycare once my own son is old enough to go to school (I miss teaching public school and want to go back) so I'm going to give them away to the VA as Christmas presents for military families expecting their first babies. I received most of my first baby stuff from them so want to pay it forward.
Serpentine 07:32 AM 04-05-2016
Must you have cots, or can it be any sort of napping mat that can be cleaned?

I'm in MD and ordered nap mats that a regular crib sheet fits on :-)
http://www.amazon.com/Angeles-Rest-G...school+nap+mat
Tags:pack n play, transitioning - cot
Reply Up