Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Santa Claus
nikia 08:36 PM 11-16-2010
Wow I feel like I ask a lot of questions on this thing lol but its so nice to have thoughts of other providers. The same family I posted about earlier today is causing me more headaches. 4 year old dcg has two older siblings who r dropped off without notice continually. Today was the same only the older girl who is 9 tells my daughter who is 7 that santa claus is not real. I did not over hear this conversation but my daughter asks me later tonight if santa claus is real. I tell her of course he is honey. She says well so and so told me today he's not. I tell her he is and she is satisfied for now. At this point I'm pretty angry between that and the other issues with this family. I call dcm no answer so I leave a message basically stating what happened and that in this house we believe in santa please speak with your child and ask her to not do this again. Did I over react? I just can't imagine if other kids would have heard this the kids that r just learning about the magic of Christmas. Side note all of families do have their children believing in Santa.
marniewon 09:24 PM 11-16-2010
I don't think you over-reacted at all. Although I'm a Christian, and we celebrate Jesus' birth over everything else, a big part of the "magic" of Christmas when my kids were little was Santa! A 9 year old going around telling others (younger) that Santa isn't real is just being a brat! I was the oldest child, and even though a "brat" ruined my Christmas magic at an early age, I did everything in my power to keep my younger siblings believing for as long as I could. My kids were the same way. Because it's still fun, even as a child who knows the difference, to see the magic in their siblings.

I know you didn't ask for opinions regarding the no-notice drop-offs of the older siblings, but I'll give you mine anyway . You might want to add in your contract the cost of dropping off with no notice. I have in my contract that drop-ins will be billed at regular rate with notice, but if no notice is given, the rate is about $10/day higher - and is due that day. You deserve the notice to make sure you are prepared for SA's - meals, snacks, activities, etc. And in my opinion, it's just disrespectful for people to drop off kids with no warning. We get enough disrespect in this job - make your parents aware of it and charge accordingly (to help drive the point home).
Lucy 10:50 PM 11-16-2010
I do see your point, and would be disappointed about it just as you were. However, I feel like at school, there will always be that older child who will spill the beans about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. I'm sure you wouldn't call up all their parents and ask them not to do it. I'd just let it all play out organically. You can't put them in a bubble. I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever, but I'm just giving an outsider's perspective. Life happens for these kids, and in this case, it "happened" in your house.

Also, if she outright asked me about Santa I would've said "some people believe in him and some don't. That's their choice." That way it leaves her with the thought of "well, I still believe in Santa, and I'm sad for Sally that she doesn't."

I don't know... just some thoughts. It's late though - goodnight!
melskids 03:28 AM 11-17-2010
to be honest, ive caught my son almost spilling the beans a couple of times. although i stress all the time why he shouldnt, and he knows how mad i would be if he did, i think its an aweful big secret to expect a small child to keep. its got to be hard to be 6, 7, 8 years old and know something like that, and have the maturity to not tell. heck, even grown ups gossip, ya know? and in my experience, thats usually around the age kids find out anyway. at least from what i remember as a kid, and when my kids and their friends started finding out. JMO, of course.
legomom922 03:53 AM 11-17-2010
Well, I am also Christian, and we do not believe in santa claus or the easter bunny. I dont even call it easter, we call it resurrection day. Nor do I celebrate halloween. To me, the "magic" is Jesus birth and how he came to save the world. I would never have any type of a santa decoration up..in fact the pic of santa makes me sick...In my opnion, telling kids about santa is lying, and diminshes our saviours birth, and kids grow up not believing in Jesus, if you ask my kids, they will tell you there is no santa. Kids will tell other kids what they believe because that is how they were raised, and everyone has different beliefs, which they are entitled to. So before you go jumping down the parents throat, you should find out why they dont believe in santa.
nikia 04:30 AM 11-17-2010
I didnt come on here to debate the spirit of Christmas. I am catholic, my children know EXACTLY why we celebrate Christmas, that really wasnt my point. We chose to have them believe in Santa as do my other daycare families. I know that this the age were they start to question if he is real or not and I am not expecting to put them in a bubble, this happened at my house though and I feel I can say that a secret that parents want their children to believe in should not be spilled here. To me its the same as saying Da** it, or stupid and not wanting that said your home.

Anyways thanks for the thoughts but it wasnt meant to be a debate about who believes in Jesus, who is jewish, ect. I am sure if any of the other kids would have heard I would have had 4 angry calls about what little Sally and Billy heard at daycare.
Lianne 06:36 AM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
Well, I am also Christian, and we do not believe in santa claus or the easter bunny. I dont even call it easter, we call it resurrection day. Nor do I celebrate halloween. To me, the "magic" is Jesus birth and how he came to save the world. I would never have any type of a santa decoration up..in fact the pic of santa makes me sick...In my opnion, telling kids about santa is lying, and diminshes our saviours birth, and kids grow up not believing in Jesus, if you ask my kids, they will tell you there is no santa. Kids will tell other kids what they believe because that is how they were raised, and everyone has different beliefs, which they are entitled to. So before you go jumping down the parents throat, you should find out why they dont believe in santa.
So, it's okay if your children tell my children there's no Santa Claus because you don't believe in him. So, I guess it won't be offensive to you when my children inform your children that there is no Jesus and that Jesus is a lie parents tell their children so they will behave. We don't believe in Jesus or anything related to him so, based on your Santa theory, it's okay for us to correctly inform your children about him.
legomom922 08:20 AM 11-18-2010
So before you go jumping down the parents throat, you should find out why they dont believe in santa.
Obviously Lianne you MISSED what I had actually said!!

And by the way, your kids would never be telling my kids that Jesus is not real, because I only accept Christians into my daycare, not ATHIESTS!!
QualiTcare 04:58 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I do see your point, and would be disappointed about it just as you were. However, I feel like at school, there will always be that older child who will spill the beans about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. I'm sure you wouldn't call up all their parents and ask them not to do it. I'd just let it all play out organically. You can't put them in a bubble. I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever, but I'm just giving an outsider's perspective. Life happens for these kids, and in this case, it "happened" in your house.

Also, if she outright asked me about Santa I would've said "some people believe in him and some don't. That's their choice." That way it leaves her with the thought of "well, I still believe in Santa, and I'm sad for Sally that she doesn't."

I don't know... just some thoughts. It's late though - goodnight!
i totally agree. my daughter believes in santa, but she's also skeptical bc she's too smart for her own good. i'm sure she's heard older kids say he isn't real also. isn't that one of the great debates of childhood?

honestly, if someone called to tell me my child said santa wasn't real i'd probably laugh and tell them to be sure and never let them talk about God then or sally would really be in for a surprise! and then i'd hang up
legomom922 05:13 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
honestly, if someone called to tell me my child said santa wasn't real i'd probably laugh and tell them to be sure and never let them talk about God then or sally would really be in for a surprise! and then i'd hang up

daysofelijah 04:34 AM 11-17-2010
Yeah I wouldn't be too hard on the girl. I think it was fine that you asked the mom to tell her to not talk about it. But with your daughter being 7, it's probably time to realize it's going to be happening.

We don't believe in Santa here, but I tell my kids that some people like to pretend he's real so not to ruin it for the little kids. (My boys are 6 and 7.) I was the bad cousin who told my cousin that Santa isn't real and it cause a huge fight between my dad and his sister (my aunt). It is really hard for a kid to be expected to keep such a big secret as someone said previously. Do don't be too hard on her, and just remind her that some people believe and she needs to respect that.

I think maybe all the issues you have with this family might be hard to overcome though, and if you can afford it I would probably let them go.
nikia 04:41 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
I think maybe all the issues you have with this family might be hard to overcome though, and if you can afford it I would probably let them go.
I think that is pretty much the whole thing, I guess thinking about it, the santa thing was the last straw for me and all the stuff added on top of it. So that was the thing that took me over the edge. The girl is also 11 not nine, had her age wrong since I dont have paperwork on her and she isnt supposed to be here at all anyway. Asked her this morning and she is 11.
legomom922 04:57 AM 11-17-2010
It's not turning into a debate about who believes in Jesus, etc. It was just my opinion on the matter, that you cant expect everyone in your house to believe in what you believe. A belief and a secret are 2 different things, and even though it is your house, you have to be careful when your beliefs are different than someone elses, and beliefs are different than cuss words. I would just tell your child that people believe in different things and that has to be respected.
nikia 06:13 AM 11-17-2010
It's not turning into a debate about who believes in Jesus, etc. It was just my opinion on the matter, that you cant expect everyone in your house to believe in what you believe. A belief and a secret are 2 different things, and even though it is your house, you have to be careful when your beliefs are different than someone elses, and beliefs are different than cuss words. I would just tell your child that people believe in different things and that has to be respected.
I do not expect everyone to believe what I do, I do think that there should be a respect for what people do believe. I would not tell their child Santa is real or even God for that matter as that is not what they believe. I think that there should be respect and level of tolerance for other peoples beliefs. I dont think that any age is too young to learn respect for other people and thier beliefs. I asked the mom to talk to her child and explain that we believe a certain way and to respect that. It would be the same with anything God, Jesus, eat organic or not. The list goes on and on.
safechner 07:40 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
Wow I feel like I ask a lot of questions on this thing lol but its so nice to have thoughts of other providers. The same family I posted about earlier today is causing me more headaches. 4 year old dcg has two older siblings who r dropped off without notice continually. Today was the same only the older girl who is 9 tells my daughter who is 7 that santa claus is not real. I did not over hear this conversation but my daughter asks me later tonight if santa claus is real. I tell her of course he is honey. She says well so and so told me today he's not. I tell her he is and she is satisfied for now. At this point I'm pretty angry between that and the other issues with this family. I call dcm no answer so I leave a message basically stating what happened and that in this house we believe in santa please speak with your child and ask her to not do this again. Did I over react? I just can't imagine if other kids would have heard this the kids that r just learning about the magic of Christmas. Side note all of families do have their children believing in Santa.
I have a 8 year old daughter who still believes in Santa Claus. A couple years ago, she told me that some of the kids told my daughter he is not real. What I told her well the reason is that, the kids don't believe in Santa Claus and he dont come in their houses to give the presents from him if they don't believe in. My daughter usually agreed with me. When I was 10 years old and I found out santa is not real when I saw my parents put the presents under the tree at midnight. However, I still do not lose my Christmas spirit.

Last year, my daughter was very excited to get more presents from Santa sooner. I had 3 years old dcg heard over my daughter and she told my daughter he is not real. I told dcg yes, he is real and she told me no he is not real. Later on, I found why they dont believe in Santa because of her parents are christian whatever. I talked to my daughter don't worry about them but it is up to her if she believes in Santa. Yes, she still do.
laundrymom 09:52 AM 11-17-2010
Here,.. in this house,.. Santa is real,... period. As real as the gray in my hair, the dishes in the sink, and the dirt on the mat out front. Here,... Santa ROCKS. Santa and other childhood beliefs are alive and well here. When you stop believing in the magic,.. you become the magic. Last year,... my daughter found out about the tooth fairy,... we were sitting as a family and she said something about putting her tooth under her pillow. Then she looked at me, my husband, my then 18 yr old son,.. and said,.. yes, I should go put it in there right??? and she looked at her big bubby with big crocodile tears,... and said,.. right bubby,....??? He said,.. Yes sweetie,.. go ahead,.. and she took about 3 steps,.. turned around and grabbed him,... crying,.. bubby,... its Mommy isnt it? well,.. he cried, she cried,.. and we all came clean,.. and reminded her that because of the babies she had to be part of the magic,... (the daycare families) then she sat down,... looked at me,.. and said,.. what about easter bunny? I just smiled at her,.... then she point blank said,.. Well I know Santa is real because You guys cant afford cool presents like his..... then Daddy took her in his arms,... hugged her,.. and tears began to fall down this big tough guys face,.. and she just weeped,... She became part of the magic at that moment. She knows,... Santa is the magic, until you dont believe, then you become the magic for others. It was hard on all of us when our baby became the magic. ItHere, if a daycare child had told the secret, I wouldnt have called the mom, I would have called the child, and asked WHAT ON EARTH WOULD MAKE HER DO SUCH A MEAN HATEFUL THING? then I would have told mom that either she discuss with the child how serious an issue it is,.. or she could find other care for her. I dont play with things like this. If she ever said something that inappropriate again,.. she could consider it grounds for termination. That is a respect thing. SHe chose not to respect the rules, people and things in my home,.. and that is a contractual thing. As far as the whole Christmas idea and Is there or isnt there? Here, Im a private, for profit, childcare in an openly christian home. If you don't want your child in a christian environment then you wouldnt have them here.
nikia 10:21 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Here,.. in this house,.. Santa is real,... period. As real as the gray in my hair, the dishes in the sink, and the dirt on the mat out front. Here,... Santa ROCKS. Santa and other childhood beliefs are alive and well here. When you stop believing in the magic,.. you become the magic. Last year,... my daughter found out about the tooth fairy,... we were sitting as a family and she said something about putting her tooth under her pillow. Then she looked at me, my husband, my then 18 yr old son,.. and said,.. yes, I should go put it in there right??? and she looked at her big bubby with big crocodile tears,... and said,.. right bubby,....??? He said,.. Yes sweetie,.. go ahead,.. and she took about 3 steps,.. turned around and grabbed him,... crying,.. bubby,... its Mommy isnt it? well,.. he cried, she cried,.. and we all came clean,.. and reminded her that because of the babies she had to be part of the magic,... (the daycare families) then she sat down,... looked at me,.. and said,.. what about easter bunny? I just smiled at her,.... then she point blank said,.. Well I know Santa is real because You guys cant afford cool presents like his..... then Daddy took her in his arms,... hugged her,.. and tears began to fall down this big tough guys face,.. and she just weeped,... She became part of the magic at that moment. She knows,... Santa is the magic, until you dont believe, then you become the magic for others. It was hard on all of us when our baby became the magic. ItHere, if a daycare child had told the secret, I wouldnt have called the mom, I would have called the child, and asked WHAT ON EARTH WOULD MAKE HER DO SUCH A MEAN HATEFUL THING? then I would have told mom that either she discuss with the child how serious an issue it is,.. or she could find other care for her. I dont play with things like this. If she ever said something that inappropriate again,.. she could consider it grounds for termination. That is a respect thing. SHe chose not to respect the rules, people and things in my home,.. and that is a contractual thing. As far as the whole Christmas idea and Is there or isnt there? Here, Im a private, for profit, childcare in an openly christian home. If you don't want your child in a christian environment then you wouldnt have them here.
I think you hit the nail on the head on how I feel. To me it is a respect thing as my post earlier said. I expect them to respect my property, my animals, my other daycare kids why not my beliefs? They dont have to agree but they do not have to disrespect what we believe in this home. And I would have felt awful if all the other kids heard it and went home crying to their moms and dads about something like being overheard at my home. My dd did bring it up again on the way to school and I told her that some people believe and some people dont, but we chose to believe. I told her some people dont believe in God (use should have seen her face on that one) but we chose to believe in him. I told her that we respect other peoples beliefs even if we dont think the same thing. She got it at 7 so I dont think its asking to much for the dcm to talk to her older daughter and do the same thing.

And laundrymom I teared up reading about your daughter and the toothfairy.
safechner 10:32 AM 11-17-2010
Thank you! Well said!
boysx5 11:00 AM 11-17-2010
my feelings all the way
legomom922 11:18 AM 11-17-2010
I would have called the child, and asked WHAT ON EARTH WOULD MAKE HER DO SUCH A MEAN HATEFUL THING? If she ever said something that inappropriate again,.. she could consider it grounds for termination. That is a respect thing. SHe chose not to respect the rules
Mean and hateful thing? What on earth makes you say that about a child?? And you say you are Christian? Christian of what religion?? Whom are you to judge her? Do you know what they believe? Do you have that in your contract? That you can never say anything about Santa Claus in your home? If not, I suggest you put in in there under the santa CLAUSE:

"No child shall ever say that Santa Claus is not real in MY home and if they are caught, it will be grounds for instant termination"

Are you for real?? How many clients do you really think you would have??

Do you honestly think a 7 yr old read and understood your contract and that by her bringing up the TRUTH about santa claus she purposely is disrespecting your rules?

I think you should term them and let them go find a "real" Christian daycare..

I don't understand how people who claim to be Christian, can act in such a un-chrsitian way.......Anyone can say they believe in God, but it's their actions that speak louder and tell the truth...
nikia 11:24 AM 11-17-2010
[quote=legomom922;58272]
I would have called the child, and asked WHAT ON EARTH WOULD MAKE HER DO SUCH A MEAN HATEFUL THING? If she ever said something that inappropriate again,.. she could consider it grounds for termination. That is a respect thing. SHe chose not to respect the rules/QUOTE]

Mean and hateful thing? What on earth makes you say that about a child?? And you say you are Christian? Christian of what religion?? Whom are you to judge her? Do you know what they believe? Do you have that in your contract? That you can never say anything about Santa Claus in your home? If not, I suggest you put in in there under the santa CLAUSE:

"No child shall ever say that Santa Claus is not real in MY home and if they are caught, it will be grounds for instant termination"

Do you honestly think a 7 yr old read and understood your contract and that by her bringing up the TRUTH about santa claus she purposely is disrespecting your rules?

I don't understand how people who claim to be Christian, can act in such a un-chrsitian way.......Anyone can say they believe in God, but it's their actions that speak louder and tell the truth...
ok the girl was 11 my daughter is 7. do you really think is wrong to ask the mom to ask her daughter to respect anothers beliefs?? Whether it be santa or God.
laundrymom 11:28 AM 11-17-2010
yes mean and hateful,.she was trying to hurt the little ones feelings by ratting out santa. . she was 11 not 7 and yes, it is disrespect. I do have that in my contract, and Im full with a waiting list that goes to march of 2012 so I guess yes. I will be pretty full. I gues Im not christian enough for you but I dont need to be. =-)
Lucy 11:37 AM 11-17-2010
Merry Christmas
Unregistered 11:45 AM 11-17-2010
My daughter has known that Santa isn't real since she was about 4. She figured it out on her own (it doesn't help when mom & dad use the same wrapping paper as Santa!). She asked us if Santa was real. We tried to change the subject so that we wouldn't have to address it. She said that she thought that Santa was pretend because we use the same wrapping paper as Santa. We asked her if she wanted the truth and she said yes. We told her the truth and we told her that she can never, ever tell any other kids that Santa's not real because it might make them sad. She never did tell anyone about Santa and still loves Christmas as much as she did before she knew.

As far as the christianity aspect goes, I really don't think that believing or not believing in Santa is a good indicator of how good of a christian a person is. I think that the love and compassion that a person shows to others is a much better way to demonstrate faith. Don't be a christian, be Christ-like. I have a hard time believing that Jesus would find Santa offensive, so why should anyone else?
nikia 05:22 PM 11-17-2010
Wow I THOUGHT THIS FORUM WAS FOR ADVICE AND SUPPORT THAT WAS HARSH.
legomom922 08:17 AM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by :

Wow I THOUGHT THIS FORUM WAS FOR ADVICE AND SUPPORT THAT WAS HARSH.
What is harsh is that you said you would terminate a child for saying santa isn't real!! Now is that Christlike??
momofboys 04:47 PM 11-18-2010

And who are YOU to judge someone either?!?! It goes both ways. Christians aren't perfect. . . no one is!
MyAngels 06:51 AM 11-18-2010
When you stop believing in the magic,.. you become the magic.
This is a really nice way to think about it, thanks for sharing!
legomom922 11:37 AM 11-18-2010
May I suggest that no one bring up controversial topics? You asked for opnions, and you got them, weather you agreed with them or not. You were offended by that child, and I am offended by santa claus, and others are offended by Jesus. You also can't expect to come on here thinking your beliefs are going to line up with everyone elses either!
nikia 11:39 AM 11-18-2010
May I suggest that no one bring up controversial topics? You asked for opnions, and you got them, weather you agreed with them or not. You were offended by that child, and I am offended by santa claus, and others are offended by Jesus. You also can't expect to come on here thinking your beliefs are going to line up with everyone elses either!
Okay I dont for the last time I just think everyone needs to respect other people's beliefs. So lets just drop this.
Unregistered 11:55 AM 11-18-2010
I don't think anyone was offended by your feelings about Jesus; it was the mean spirited and judgemental way you presented yourself. I think you should take a moment to pray on it. I'm not being sarcastic, I really think you need to take a step back. Lots and lots of Christians share the Santa story with their children, it doesn't make you a better Christian because you don't.

I'm sure it is not your intent, however you are coming off as quite prideful.

"Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall."

3KidsMom
Tags:christmas, santa claus, santa not
Reply Up