Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Half-day Preschool?? HELP!
KnoxMom 12:28 PM 04-03-2013
So, preschool roundup is starting soon and I just realized that the program lets out at 1:30 PM. What do most parents do if the preschool doesn't offer after school care on-site or transportation?
Solandia 02:43 PM 04-03-2013
Our local Y provides after care, they bus the kids from the local area preschools to the daycare at the YMCA a few miles away. Or their current babysitter or daycare provider will do a pick up at the school ( i didn't b/c you have to go INTO the school to sign out the child. it is a pain in the butt with a bunch of kids in carseats). Some parents have a neighbor,grandma or friend (or even grandma's friend) drive them from school to their daycare or babysit themselves after school is out. Some parents do not send their kids to half daycare preschool...either no preschool at all or take their kids to a childcare center with a preschool program included. My school district has a public preK & busses students (it is need based, not available to all kids), but they have A LOT of days off. Any early dismissal for the k-12 students means NO school for the preK.
MarinaVanessa 03:53 PM 04-03-2013
Wow 1:30. Here in my area they have 2 sessions ... 8am-11am and 12pm to 3pm 5 days a week. Some centers that offer preschool get out at 11:30am but start at 8:30am and they have a daycare program afterwards.

Parents around here have to find a way for their kids to get to their daycare programs if the preschool doesn't offer child care afterwards. We have a few centers and quite a few family child care providers that provide transportation (me included, but only until the end of this school year) and they pick up the kids and drive them to their child care programs, usually without additional cost.
itlw8 05:49 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
So, preschool roundup is starting soon and I just realized that the program lets out at 1:30 PM. What do most parents do if the preschool doesn't offer after school care on-site or transportation?
Not your problem it is in the middle of nap So unless YOU have a child going or all the children are going you say to them transportation is up to you. IF I do not have confirmation by July___ that you have found transportation I will be filling the opening before you give notice.
KnoxMom 06:07 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
Not your problem it is in the middle of nap So unless YOU have a child going or all the children are going you say to them transportation is up to you. IF I do not have confirmation by July___ that you have found transportation I will be filling the opening before you give notice.
I suppose I should have clarified; It IS in the middle of nap and it will be MY son going! Now that he will be 4 I don't want him under Mommy all day I think he is ready for a larger group also and it's FREE if I can get him in. It is sad that the elementary school that hosts the Pre-K drops off RIGHT next to my house but they don't provide transportation for the Pre-K classes and they don't offer after-school care. Maybe I can find a college student/SAHM/neighbor to make the drop off. DH works about 45 minutes away so he can't swing it. Ughhh! The worse part is that I thought this was SO going to make life a little bit easier... silly me
itlw8 05:32 PM 04-04-2013
oh... sorry. a friend a parent or late nap???? none seem great hope you can get it to work for you. Sign up anyway and then keep working on the problem.
SilverSabre25 08:08 AM 04-05-2013
what if you nap everyone while your son is gone, then get them up to go get him?
kpccdeepa 01:13 PM 01-15-2014
Hi, i'm wondering how you solved the half day preschool issue? I'm a reporter working on a story about how parents work around the halfway preschool when they may work. I'd love to talk with you. you can reach me at dfernandes@kpcc.org
thanks so much.
Reply Up