Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Different Rates For Different Families
kitkat 09:41 PM 05-21-2013
I'm interviewing a possible new family next week. They were referred by a current family/families and would probably be more of a drop in thing. I'm really struggling with a daily rate for them. It's 2 kids, but one would be here for a half day, then half day at 4K. Right now I have a dcb here for about 5 hrs, then goes to 4K and I charge less than my full day amount. I have another dcb who will be going to 4K next year and I will charge him the same (less than full day). The new family I'm interviewing would be for about 5 hours. However, I can't afford to charge the new family that lower amount. I'm afraid they might already know what I charge the others and will be expecting that amount. I just realized that when we spoke briefly on the phone today that she never asked about rates Now I'm freaking out that she will be expecting a lower rate! I have no backbone b/c I've never needed it. How do I tell them it's X amount and not feel guilty? What if they say, "Well dcp said they pay this amount."? I know I need to just suck it up and stick with this is my rate, take it or leave it. But I need to figure out a way to say it in advance so I'm not babbling and then caving in during the interview. I've been unmotivated and in a rut lately, so I know that's partially why I'm struggling with charging more. Sorry for any ramblings...I'm really nervous about this. I appreciate any advice!
jessrlee 03:27 AM 05-22-2013
I would say "x is a long time client and is under a different payment arrangement. I don't change payment arrangements on current clients so when my fees changed they weren't affected. You will be given the same courtesy."
TheGoodLife 03:57 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
I would say "x is a long time client and is under a different payment arrangement. I don't change payment arrangements on current clients so when my fees changed they weren't affected. You will be given the same courtesy."
. That was exactly what I was going to suggest. "Sorry for any confusion, this is my new payment rate. It changed after X began care, therefore they are grandfathered into the previous rate. You would receive the same courtesy if my rates would change in the future!"
MissAnn 04:15 AM 05-22-2013
I just raised my rates for new families. The old ones are grandfathered in. It's ok to do that.
Willow 07:08 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I just raised my rates for new families. The old ones are grandfathered in. It's ok to do that.

Inform them of your current rates. If they say anything about them being different you can tell them exactly why, "old families are "grandfathered in" - these are my *current* rates. Please let me know if you are interested, thanks!"

Then explain to your referring family that you'd like to leave them at the lower rate but if it causes conflict in the future you may have to move everyone up to your current rate. Ask for their cooperation so you don't have to do that
daycare 07:16 AM 05-22-2013
going to jump on the band wagon here and agree with the others.
williams2008 07:31 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
yep this!
kitkat 08:13 AM 05-22-2013
Thanks everyone! I new I could find some help and reassurance from you guys
MissAnn 10:52 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Thanks everyone! I new I could find some help and reassurance from you guys
And isn't it awesome when the advice works in your favor? Yay more $
Reply Up