Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smock
Lil'DinoEggs 05:00 AM 02-10-2014
we are a very messy bunch. In my contract, I state very clearly that I am not responsible for personal items, clothes need to be comfortable to move around in, sleeves should roll up and we will get messy. I put my own smocks or t shirts on the kids depending on the activity. IOW, only if it is wicked messy.

New family is doing ok. We are still working on a few kinks. Today, I went find something in her bag and I found a brand new smock. I know she is getting messy with food and activities. It is the full body, elastic wrist kind. They haven't said anything, but I am waiting for it.

If a parent asked you to use a smock, would you? why?

At first I thought hey it is one kid, if parents are willing to bring it and wash it then who cares. BUT then I would be worried about anything that got on her or would I still do it every kid brought one in.
daycarediva 05:35 AM 02-10-2014
I supply my own smocks, and wash them myself. We get messy, too. I ENCOURAGE it. We use them for all painting, shaving cream or sensory play (or especially messy lunches).
craftymissbeth 07:16 AM 02-10-2014
OT - where do you find the smocks with elastic wrists? I've found them on Discount School Supply, but wanted to find a pattern or tutorial to make my own. The only ones I can find are sleeveless.

OP - Yes, I would use the smock, but it would stay at the daycare.
itlw8 07:19 AM 02-10-2014
some kids need it for eating. so yes if the child did not fuss I would use it.

I always use smocks for paint and messy stuff. but not the outside dirt or markers and such
sharlan 07:32 AM 02-10-2014
Yes, I would definitely use the smock.
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
OT - where do you find the smocks with elastic wrists? I've found them on Discount School Supply, but wanted to find a pattern or tutorial to make my own. The only ones I can find are sleeveless.

Here is a tutorial for making a long sleeved one:

http://www.to-sew-with-love.com/2012...-tutorial.html
BrooklynM 09:12 AM 02-10-2014
I got long sleeve smocks at ikea!
nanglgrl 09:34 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I got long sleeve smocks at ikea!
Yep, I think that's where I got my long sleeve elastic wristed ones but they do run small.
craftymissbeth 09:57 AM 02-10-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is a tutorial for making a long sleeved one:

http://www.to-sew-with-love.com/2012...-tutorial.html
Thank you!
Jack Sprat 11:23 AM 02-10-2014
If they asked I would use it, if they didn't I wouldn't.

We are also messy. I let parents know this and its in my handbook. I try my best to wash clothes during nap time if they are really bad. All my parents are very understanding of this.

I like the long sleeve smocks for painting in the winter etc. If we paint in the summer its in paint shirts or no shirts.
melonieb 12:41 PM 02-10-2014
I just use some of my old work t-shirts. Might look like dresses on all my preschoolers, but at least the kids are clean
KSDC 01:00 PM 02-11-2014
Finding the smock in the bag? That seems kind of passive-aggressive to me. I mean, if the parents have a problem with mess, then I would want them to talk to me. That is the part of this that would put me on edge.

As for using smocks, I have a bunch of mens flannel button up shirts that I got for free at a thrift store. I cut the sleeves so that they come about to the elbow on my munchkins. Then they wear them backwards so I can button the top button at the back of the neck. They have worked great for almost 10 years. These are only for messy crafts and tactile stuff.
Stepping 01:29 PM 02-11-2014
I bought long sleeved smocks at ikea too. The smaller ones are great, lovely fabric and easy to move around in.

They have a new line of larger long sleeved smocks but the fabric is very stiff and breaks easily so I'm not loving them as much
Rachel 03:17 AM 02-16-2014
Yup, I have the ikea green smocks too. I actually want to buy a couple of more. I have 3 from my kids, and now I have 4 painting. The smallest one gets a long sleeved bib I've had for ages.
CraftyMom 08:27 AM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:

I like the long sleeve smocks for painting in the winter etc. If we paint in the summer its in paint shirts or no shirts.
I have considered no shirts, I wasn't sure how parents would feel. My dck's right now don't have the concept of modesty. Anyone else do no shirts?

I've tried long sleeve smocks but the sleeves drag through the paint and make more mess, also the kids keep asking me to push the sleeves up lol

I use sleeveless smocks and roll their sleeves all the way up or take off the top shirt if they have a short sleeve under it.

I would really like some water proof smocks for the water table though
MarinaVanessa 11:40 AM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:

Ikea has some smocks with sleeves. This is what I use. They look very thin and see through but they work great for paint OR food. PS I've served spaghetti plenty of times and even the tomato sauce comes out in the wash.

Ikea - Mala Apron
craftymissbeth 08:43 PM 02-16-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Ikea has some smocks with sleeves. This is what I use. They look very thin and see through but they work great for paint OR food. PS I've served spaghetti plenty of times and even the tomato sauce comes out in the wash.

Ikea - Mala Apron
I've seen those and think those would be perfect. The nearest Ikea is in Dallas (I'm in Kansas), but dh is going down to El Paso next month and I'll see if he can pick some up for me... and high chairs and rugs and a crib and and and... he's going to have to take my van
Tags:art supplies, bibs, clothing - issues, clothing policies, dirty clothes
Reply Up