Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Enforce This?!
wdmmom 07:23 AM 05-10-2012
I have several families that (in the last week alone) are pulling into my driveway and sitting in their car on their phone before coming to the door.

I go over this with everyone at the interview. Children get used to a routine and KNOW when it's their time to go. Given the children see their parents pull up, it's getting more problematic while they are jumping around and acting out because their parent isn't coming to the door promptly.

I'm getting tired of opening the door to greet parents and standing their waiting until they are done with their call.

How hard is it to tell someone to hang on, put your phone on your seat, get your child and resume your call?!

Anyone else have this problem? How did you approach it?!
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 05-10-2012
Ugh! I can see how that would be a big problem! How inconsiderate of the parents...when they KNOW their child can see them!

I havent had this issue so I guess I dont have much advice except that perhaps if you tell the parents how upsetting it is for the kids and hope they are considerate enough for their sake.

On a side note, I have a dcf that lives 4 blocks away. Every morning they park in the driveway and sit for at least 20-30 minutes before getting out and coming in.......so DCG can finish watching her movie.
dEHmom 07:38 AM 05-10-2012
I would tell the parents in a notice and have them sign it saying they read it. I would probably be likely to attach a fee OR walk the child out to the door and have them sit there waiting for their parent. Advise parents that the moment they can be seen from the window, they are responsible for their child. When their children see them, they are excited and are already thinking of all the things they want to say to their parent. It causes pain for their child and makes them feel unimportant, as if they don't matter, because their parents are too busy on the phone. Isn't there laws there that say you cannot use a cell phone while driving your vehicle? Or do they make the phone calls once they pull up???

I also find it very rude from my perspective. I understand sometimes there are important calls where you cannot just hang up but, they should finish those before coming on my property. I have limited time to speak with each parent at dropoff and I'm not going to stand around waiting for them to finish.
morgan24 07:42 AM 05-10-2012
That is really rude. Can you get them ready and walk them out to the car? I use to have a dcd that would stop and talk to my hubby outside when he was working in the garage. They were both car guys and had a lot to talk about. The kids would watch and start misbehaving so after it happened a couple of more times I put their stuff on and sent them out. They went in the garage and were running around, dcd quickly got them out of there and they left. Hubby shorten up his conversations after that, he didn't want a repeat of them in his garage.
dEHmom 07:50 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by morgan24:
That is really rude. Can you get them ready and walk them out to the car? I use to have a dcd that would stop and talk to my hubby outside when he was working in the garage. They were both car guys and had a lot to talk about. The kids would watch and start misbehaving so after it happened a couple of more times I put their stuff on and sent them out. They went in the garage and were running around, dcd quickly got them out of there and they left. Hubby shorten up his conversations after that, he didn't want a repeat of them in his garage.
I was going to suggest that too, but then I realized that this would actually cause more of a problem. Parents would sit there chatting while we got kids ready and outside. Parents would probably just nod or give a little wave instead and this would become a routine. Plus we have other children in our care, we cannot be bringing each one out to the car on a daily basis.
temom 07:53 AM 05-10-2012
I used to have an open door policy where a certain DCM started taking advantage of she would come and chat for 15 20 mins while the DCB ran wild around the house n she wouldn't say anything to him. I have a no shoes in the house policy and she would put on his shoe and let him run around. pretty soon i started locking the door and as soon as she came rang the bell would take the kid to the door, tell her how his day was and walk away. pretty soon she got the msg n was out the door in 5 mins. One DCD did the phone thing on a daily bases, i started opening the door and letting the kid out on the drive way, would stand at the door give the DCB a thumbs up and close the door.
SilverSabre25 07:59 AM 05-10-2012
That is a hard one to enforce, I admit. I have no advice for you...none of my parents have done that. And I'm glad, because I'm a weeny at enforcing things usually.
wdmmom 08:03 AM 05-10-2012
I never have any issue with Family 1. I've been working for them for a year and a half and I don't ever recall having ANY issue with them.

Family 2: A few payment issues but no cell phone problems.

Family 3: This week alone, both DCM and DCD!!!

Family 4: DCM is really good about hanging up while walking up to the door. DCD has sat in his car for more than 10 minutes before! (While I understand that he is a big businessman, how hard is it to hang up or tell the person to hang on?!)

Family 5: DCM or grandma primarily does drop off and pick ups. Had problems with both this week alone as well!!!
DCP 08:09 AM 05-10-2012
If you figure out a sure way to avoid it..let me know because I have one now and have had that issue in the past!!! I also have one..that if he arrives before 5:30 actually sits in his car until 5:30 (nothing like getting every minute you pay for!) No phone, no nothing..just sitting there waiting.

I give them long enough for me to gather their child's things and get jackets etc. Then I open my door..letting them know "we see you!" LOL

Half the time..they come to the door still chatting..but at least it seems to get them in here faster!
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I never have any issue with Family 1. I've been working for them for a year and a half and I don't ever recall having ANY issue with them.

Family 2: A few payment issues but no cell phone problems.

Family 3: This week alone, both DCM and DCD!!!

Family 4: DCM is really good about hanging up while walking up to the door. DCD has sat in his car for more than 10 minutes before! (While I understand that he is a big businessman, how hard is it to hang up or tell the person to hang on?!)

Family 5: DCM or grandma primarily does drop off and pick ups. Had problems with both this week alone as well!!!
Maybe you should call them on their cells (I am sure most have call waiting) and say "Hey dcp! We can see you sitting in the drive.....can you hang up now and come in!"

If they don't answer....keep calling!
Crystal 08:15 AM 05-10-2012
I have a couple of parents who do that as well, and while it bugs me, I actually appreciate that they complete their conversation in the car, rather than coming to my door on the phone, ignoring their child inside the house instead of focusing their attention on their child. I also appreciate that they are done talking on the phone so when they get back in the car they are talking with their child instead of a freind or family member on the phone.

Now, if they were late picking up because of it, then I would say something.

If it really bothers you (and their children) either tell them point blank or try "hinting" at it when they come in...."Oh little suzie was wondering how long it would be until you were done on the phone. She was getting REALLY upset waiting for you to come in because she was SO happy to see you pull up!"
MarinaVanessa 08:26 AM 05-10-2012
Personally this is how I would handle it: I'd stand in front of the window and since the parent was already on a call on their cell phone I'd call them as well. Cell phones have call waiting. Once the parent answered I'd just say "Hi Sally. Listen, I know you're on the phone but can you come in and get Little Johnny now? He can see you when you pull in and he's totally excited. A little too excited if you know what I mean. He's ready to go."

Once she came in I'd talk to her further " Hey Sally. Here's Little Johnny, he knows the sound of your car and can see you when you pull in. Once he sees that you're here he's so excited that it's hard for him to listen and that gets the other kids worked up. I just wanted to remind you that like we discussed during our initial interview, once you pull up to my house, and if you're visible from the window for that matter, I need you to come in and get Johnny."

Of course if this really was my situation I would have to add "Also don't forget that if you pull into the driveway that you have to limit the time that your car is there to under 5 minutes so that my other clients can get in and out also. If you need to take an important call that can't wait until after you pick Little Johnny up go ahead and park up the street so that he can't see or hear your car. Just don't lose track of time of course and make sure you pick him up on time". And then I'd smile sweetly.

Speaking to the problematic clients directly works better for me. Notices don't really seem get me anywhere and use them more like something solid to hand to them after I've already talked to them. Don't be afraid to speak your mind, there's always a diplomatic and firm way of reminding them of your policies without sounding rude.
Christian Mother 08:28 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe you should call them on their cells (I am sure most have call waiting) and say "Hey dcp! We can see you sitting in the drive.....can you hang up now and come in!"

If they don't answer....keep calling!
This had me laughing...I think I would attempt this if I got good and mad...but I don't have this problem bc of the type of home I have. The door is on the side of the house and the house is gated. The kids can't see or hear when their parents come at the end of the day. But I can def. see this being a huge problem. For me I think that if the kids where having a hard time I'd walk that family out to the car and open the car door strap the kids in and leave with a wave. I've done that many times when the parents are in a hurry for a doctors apt and there short on time we will be waiting out side as they pull up and I get the kids in the car and strapped in. Maybe try that once...heheh!!
snbauser 11:03 AM 05-10-2012
I have had to address this issue before because our "classroom" is the front of my house and there is a huge window that the children can see everyone that pulls up. I have sent home the following in newsletters:
Originally Posted by :
Please finish all phone calls prior to stopping in front of ***XX Daycare. Your children have missed you the entire day and are usually anxious to see you. They have a hard time understanding why they can see you out the window yet you are not coming in to get them. This also causes a disruption to the rest of the children. If you have not finished your call prior to entering the neighborhood, you may pull into the pool parking lot at the entrance or stop prior to reaching our house to finish your call. Thanks.

MarinaVanessa 11:32 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I have had to address this issue before because our "classroom" is the front of my house and there is a huge window that the children can see everyone that pulls up. I have sent home the following in newsletters:
I like the newsletter. I think this a perfect example of how to address the issue in writing politely while explaining to the parent the reasoning behind it
momma2girls 12:49 PM 05-10-2012
I would casually walk out to their car with their child. meet them at their door, and wave good bye and say have a good night. Thank God, I have had about everything else happen in daycare, but this is not one of them!! At least that I know of anyways!!! lol!!
Mydaycare 02:31 PM 05-10-2012
I have dcb who cameos here at night time for two hrs and they pay for a full day so it's easy free money. But there has being two times when the mom pull in my driveway and stays on the phone for at least 20 min it's 11:00 o clock so I just want to get rid of the kid and go to sleep for the next day!!! Good thing I already give them two week notice. I totally understand you!
Reply Up