Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speaking of References….
Crazy8 12:05 PM 02-26-2014
what is your preferred method of giving them??? Name/phone number on paper, email addresses, copies of letters, or any other method??

I have stuck with name & numbers on paper - I have them typed with only 3 per page and different ones go out to different interviews just so the same people aren't getting called constantly. I think the majority of my interviewees don't even call them or maybe call just one. Wondering if I should "get with the times" and give a more easily accessible way like email but like the recent post, I just don't know if I want to open up that way of communicating. Its like I love having a FB account for daycare families only but it recently caused issues with 2 moms getting super chummy that way and one left (because they were moving) the other decided to leave too. I thought of maybe just going with a written letter of recommendation from families.

So, how do you give references???
CraftyMom 12:16 PM 02-26-2014
I don't offer them, and have never even had anyone ask, which I find odd. If someone asked I would show them reference letters. I do not feel comfortable with phone calls because as another post mentioned the calls can get off track.
blandino 12:17 PM 02-26-2014
I have a list, and it includes husband & wife's name. And how long heir children have been in care, and their phone number.

I have thought about using email addresses instead, because I think that is most people's preferred method of communication. But I haven't changed over yet...
TwinKristi 02:00 PM 02-26-2014
I just have a list of the parents name and phone number, that's it.
I need to just start sending them out per their request because no one ever calls. The ONLY time someone has called they didn't even choose me anyway!? Weird!
Scout 02:42 PM 02-26-2014
I only had one mom ask and I gave the others her phone number and one parent said to give her her own number. No one else has asked either.
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I just have a list of the parents name and phone number, that's it.
I need to just start sending them out per their request because no one ever calls. The ONLY time someone has called they didn't even choose me anyway!? Weird!
I used to give references. (2 past and 1 previous family)
I used to put them on my website. (written references from families)

Now I don't bother because choosing a child care that is the "right" fit for an individual family is a personal decision and one that should be done on an individual basis.

How I cared for the child of another family is completely different in that each family and child has specific individual needs and requirements. Each family also has different values and expectations of their provider or care arrangements.

Now if a potential client asks, I just tell them they are free to check our state website for citations or correction orders (I have none) records and/or ask their friends and family if they know "of" me but other than that, what one family says about me is not going to guarantee that I am the right for them.

The best thing a family can do when searching for care is to ask questions. LOTS of questions BEFORE signing on.

Then do the two week trial period and ask more questions then if necessary.

So far, that has worked well for me for several years now.
Tags:reference, references, referrals
Reply Up