Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question about Stuttering
Unregistered 11:46 AM 10-24-2014
Do you think some kids start stuttering for attention? I ask because dcb 2.5years old started stuttering when his mom asked me if I noticed it I said no and then dcb said something and stuttered and his mom said see like that. He never did it here at daycare before and he always has to be the center of attention. Could he be doing it becuause it gets him attention?
hhdc 11:56 AM 10-24-2014
I notice stuttering when they have something to say but can't quite find the words. They have the attention and want to get it out before anyone else talks.
KiddieCahoots 12:01 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by hhdc:
I notice stuttering when they have something to say but can't quite find the words. They have the attention and want to get it out before anyone else talks.
.....My son 6yr now did this when he was 2yrs. He sometimes just couldn't get the right word out fast enough, so he stuttered here and there. He outgrew it and is actually very articulate, his teachers are always impressed with his use of words.
Solandia 12:26 PM 10-24-2014
I have had kids that copy a stutter from another kid, but not necessarily for attention. More like how one would gain an accent or regional language or subculture. Completely normal and expected.

I will correct a child's speech for those who are able correct themselves. I do have one boy that stutters, and other kids have gone through very short lived phases of mimicking....some inadvertently, some more consciously.
Reply Up