Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need advice for 4yo with attitude
crazydaycarelady 07:40 AM 04-10-2015
Just turned 4yo dcb comes in being carried by his mom, packing a blanket and various toys and whining 5 days per week. He always asks if A or B is going to be here because he really only likes to play with those kids even though there are plenty of other kids here. He also is always talking about himself getting picked up early, the other kids have to stay longer, who has to take a nap and how he doesn't take a nap. He spends the whole day monitoring everything and boosting himself up with these little tidbits of info.

I don't need help with the blanket or toys but I am tired of his elitist attitude. Any advice?
daycarediva 09:02 AM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Just turned 4yo dcb comes in being carried by his mom, packing a blanket and various toys and whining 5 days per week. He always asks if A or B is going to be here because he really only likes to play with those kids even though there are plenty of other kids here. He also is always talking about himself getting picked up early, the other kids have to stay longer, who has to take a nap and how he doesn't take a nap. He spends the whole day monitoring everything and boosting himself up with these little tidbits of info.

I don't need help with the blanket or toys but I am tired of his elitist attitude. Any advice?
I first attempt "That makes So and so feel _________. If we can't use nice words/say nice things, we have to play here/away from friends."

If that fails, I turn it around. I had a boy intentionally giving another boy the pink mat. "Oh C, you must love the pink mat since you pick it especially for N every day! I will make sure YOU get that mat every single day." When he started to whine, I stopped him "You wouldn't be giving him he pink mat just to be mean, so you must love it!"

"That's right N is staying here with me until his mommy comes! N when C leaves would you like to ______________ (super fun activity) with me?"

"If you're so cranky and saying not nice things, I think you're tired so you can take a nap next to N today."

I find parents like this have kids like this, and they ALWAYS have to be better/smarter/faster/first. DRIVES ME NUTS!
Reply Up