Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling So Blah And Disatisfied Right Now
SilverSabre25 12:26 PM 01-17-2012
That about sums it up

Everything I try to do "curriculum" wise doesn't work--the kids aren't interested or it's above their level, or there's one that just cries whenever I offer something fun. The fun things I offer end in tears and fights among the kids. The days I just let them play end in tears and fights and squabbles. I can't win

I love the kids and don't want to lose them but if I could I would quit in a heartbeat. I can't--our ends don't meet as it is right now and there's nothing "out in the world" I can do to make more money.

I need to change something drastic...and fast. But what?

*sigh* I don't know if there's a solution, but I needed to whine about it all. Maybe that will help me clear my head and figure this out.
daycare 12:36 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That about sums it up

Everything I try to do "curriculum" wise doesn't work--the kids aren't interested or it's above their level, or there's one that just cries whenever I offer something fun. The fun things I offer end in tears and fights among the kids. The days I just let them play end in tears and fights and squabbles. I can't win

I love the kids and don't want to lose them but if I could I would quit in a heartbeat. I can't--our ends don't meet as it is right now and there's nothing "out in the world" I can do to make more money.

*sigh* I don't know if there's a solution, but I needed to whine about it all. Maybe that will help me clear my head and figure this out.
hopefully letting it out has helped some..

You know, I think we all have these days... When days go bad like this for me, I bring out the board games, twister, and maybe even watch a G movie. Then try again.

I have some kids that are way behind and some that way ahead. SO I am almost teaching all day so it feels....

sounds like you might just need a day off to reconnect with the kids. That has always helped me. Don't teach for a day and just get down on the floor and talk and play. Dinf out what their interest are and go from there...
Unregistered 12:38 PM 01-17-2012
I sometimes have the same problem, but now I have group time at 9 followed by arts and crafts, outdoor time and I try and make them understand that they are in school and must pay attention to what we do in class. it works for the 3-4 yr olds not to well for the two year olds. so I let them play on the computer abc's finding words and that keeps their attention. I wish you luck just hang in there.
momma2girls 12:45 PM 01-17-2012
What has helped me over the many yrs. of providing care- If I have preschool aged children(which I don't now) my oldest one of 4 is 2yrs. old. If they are preschool age, I practice writing numbers, letters, bring something that begins with a different letter each month, then another day practice that letter, then another day, we will make something with that letter and on and on. I do Holiday things with the 2 yr. old. We are coloring snowmen for Winter. Next week we are doing a simple snowman craft with const. paper. I have a Valentine's Party in Feb. for everyone. We will be making paper bags with hearts, etc. on it, for our party. I have a craft planned for every month. March we make umbrellas, April- easter bunny, May- flowers, and so on and so on. I used to make a weekly activity or craft. I spent alot of money, on supplies, ideas, time and effort on everything when I had mostly older children. Since then everyone has gone into Kindergarten, or an all day preschool. I felt the same way you are feeling many, many times!!! I have really cut back on what I do and when I start everything.
greenhouse 01:33 PM 01-17-2012
That about sums it up

What about pet sitting? That is my next business once my DS starts kindergarten. I feel burnt out after one year and only one dcb, so I can't even imagine how you feel. Ugh. I had a successful eBay biz going to help fill my income gap, but eBay is very cut throat now. I'm refocusing on my daycare for now and getting a spot filled. The economy makes me nervous. I just hope DH has his job for a long time.
SilverSabre25 02:02 PM 01-17-2012
Stupid though I know it is, whining about it did help me to get past the whining and into some more constructive plotting and planning!

I'm going to go for more structure in some areas and less in others. I'm looking at the places I'm really lax (reading, for example...they destroy books when given free access to them but I never think to read books to the dcks when they're put away) and where I feel I want some major changes (meals, snacks, planning). I'm also looking into my state's early learning content standards, etc, to help me feel better about the "preschool" stuff. I have two infants and four kids who are either preschool age or very close to it.

I'm rearranging some things in my home to better accommodate circle time and reading time.

I also am trying to come up with some better group and behavior management--I'm thinking of setting a timer for certain "centers" (like the sensory box) and only allowing one child at a time at those often problematic activities.
SilverSabre25 02:04 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
What about pet sitting? That is my next business once my DS starts kindergarten. I feel burnt out after one year and only one dcb, so I can't even imagine how you feel. Ugh. I had a successful eBay biz going to help fill my income gap, but eBay is very cut throat now. I'm refocusing on my daycare for now and getting a spot filled. The economy makes me nervous. I just hope DH has his job for a long time.
I've looked into it but there is no market in my area for a pet sitter--there are TONS of ads and few takers and I need my income to be where it is for us to survive.

It sucks--I have a college degree and it's not worth diddly in my area
dave4him 04:42 PM 01-17-2012
i know the feeling... i have four under one and my five year old doesnt do much for paying attention... its her play time since she has half day school already
momma2girls 04:49 PM 01-17-2012
I have circletime, weather, and date also when the children are age 3 and over.
Sunchimes 05:27 PM 01-17-2012
I'm sort of frustrated too. I'm not burned out, I love my kids, and I've never had a job that involved so much laughter. But, all of mine are so young, and it's getting monotonous. I'm realizing that, although I've been out of the field for over 20 years, at heart I'm a teacher. I find myself wishing they would grow up faster (then reminding myself of all the problems with older kids) so that I could teach. I went shopping for room decorations yesterday and came home with 3...yes 3...sets of flashcards and some color charts and counting stuff. I couldn't seem to help myself. I got out the color and shape cards today. She looked at it and stuffed it in her mouth. sigh Sometimes, I think if I hear peek-a-boo one more time, I'll cry. But then, one of them figures something out and I see that little lightbulb go off, and I remember that I am teaching, it's just not as noticeable ad reciting colors.
sahm2three 06:48 PM 01-17-2012
I have had the blah's for some time now. I think it is mostly because of the hard kiddos I have. It just makes it almost impossible to do anything educational. Circle time has been a disaster too. I have given up for the time being. I am just trying to make sure no one seriously injures anyone. LOL. Hang in there!
Unregistered 09:34 AM 01-18-2012
That about sums it up

WHINE away!
I'm about where you are but I think I MUST close down for the sanity of my family. We are going to try like heck to make it work on one income. Our ends are not meeting right now either but I have been watching a lot of finance/money tip shows and reading on the internet. Even got ideas from some of you all. I'm not posting under my username because I have not told my families yet. I am afraid and waiting until I can muster up the courage to tell my families. I think if we eliminate eating out and grow some of our own food and do lots of cooking/stocking up that it will work out.

If I think of any ideas for you to work at home I will send them your way. Good luck no matter what you end up doing. ((((hugs))))
momma2girls 12:02 PM 01-18-2012
It's ok, any of us, do not have the correct age group, for circletime, crafts, abc's , etc...
Meeko 01:41 PM 01-18-2012
Don't feel bad. I've been at this for 27 years now and sometimes I love it and other times I could cry because I feel so burned out and in a rut.

Something that helps me, may seem weird to someone else.....but I sit down and really think hard about re-arranging my day care. Painting, trading rooms etc. Making the day care fresh and different makes me feel refreshed and the kids love it looking new and interesting too.

I also always went with the mindset that the toys should always be available to the kids and at their level to help themselves. That translated into "dump everything on the floor"

I have changed this recently. Only a few toys out and rotated. Life is good!

Change is good!
Tags:burnt out, over burdened, overwhelmed, provider - burnout risk, simplify, vent, winter
Reply Up