Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying It Out
BentleysBands 07:07 AM 11-02-2010
at what age do you let, IF you agree, a baby CIO?
DCMomOf3 08:04 AM 11-02-2010
When my son was a baby my pediatrition said I could start 6 months old and up if I cared to.
ninosqueridos 08:27 AM 11-02-2010
I've had peds tell me anywhere from 4 to 6 months.
SilverSabre25 08:59 AM 11-02-2010
I do not agree with CIO on principle. Unfortunately, I have one DCG who is 15 months who has never been taught a more effective way of soothing herself to sleep and as a result, screams for up to 15 minutes every single day at naptime. She's the first I've had so far who does this...and her parents have indicated that it's how she falls asleep at night, too.
DancingQueen 09:07 AM 11-02-2010
don't do it - never have with my 4 kids and have no plans of doing it with anyone else's.

But notice I didn't say "never" I'm too wise to use that word..>LOL
TGT09 10:29 AM 11-02-2010
I did not expect to the be the minority on this but apparently I am. CIO is proven to not be effective before 6 months, nor would I logically think it was ok before then. I actually don't implement this with dck's unless it's what the parent does at home though. However, I do not coddle and rock a child every day at naptime. I give tons of cuddles during awake time but believe children need to learn to associate when to go to sleep.

Just because CIO stands for "cry it out" doesn't mean that ALL children actually cry themselves to sleep. Most children that do CIO just lay there until they fall asleep unless having a bad day.
DCMomOf3 10:34 AM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
Just because CIO stands for "cry it out" doesn't mean that ALL children actually cry themselves to sleep. Most children that do CIO just lay there until they fall asleep unless having a bad day.
This has been my experience too. I did CIO with my own sons when I got rid of the pacifiers and within 3 days they were going to sleep quickly, self soothing, and quietly.
kitkat 11:22 AM 11-02-2010
I think our ped. also said 6 months was an ok age to start. DS was 6 months when we took his nuk away and we let him cio for that. DD is a completely different story. CIO has not worked for her, ever.

I think it depends on the kid and the situation. Personally, I think 6 months is the youngest to try. I feel more comfortable with it at about 9 months or older. If it's a dck, I'm not so sure...it would depend on the parents, what the situation/problem is, what other things have been tried, and the personality of the baby/kid.
Fro 01:51 PM 11-02-2010
I dont like to let the kids CIO. but it is a useful tool, when used with other things. routine is the most effective way to get any child to sleep. lay them down at the same time, with the same blanket, in the same bed... and decide if your going to rock, let them have a paci, or a bottle (of water only), (usually I try to do what the parents do, but I dont rock the kids to sleep, I wont give them milk, juice or formula in bed, and I cant spend all of nap time tending to one child.) and stick with that decision, only changing one thing at a time. When they cry, I pat their back without picking them up for a minute or 2 then walk away. If after a week or 2 of sticking to a routine, and still not getting them to sleep well, I will start letting them cry. One minute at first, then 2, then 5. if after 15 minutes they still wont sleep, I talk to their parents about it, and see if we can coordinate some kind of plan from their.
My own daughter started sleeping through the night after one cio session when she was 8 months old. I knew very well that she only cried because she had learned that that was the quickest way to get me to pick her up. She still sleeps through the night, with rare exceptions. She knows that once I shut that door, I only open it if Its important, or I hear that distressed cry. I dont always know a new daycare babies cry right off the bat though, so I take a bit of time getting to know them before I would let them cio.
sorry if this is long, and hope it makes sense, its been a really long day.
hawkfan428 02:47 PM 11-02-2010
I've worked in infant rooms for 7.5 years. I believe in CIO with some kids. There are certain kids where other ways work. If nothing else does then I teach them to cry it out. Usually it's a week of screaming (if that) and then I can lay them in the crib and they're out! Usually around 6 months or so.
care-care 03:46 PM 11-02-2010
I have a 4 month old right now that doesnt sleep with out pacifer or holdng or in a swing.. ugh I have been trying to lay him down and he will cry i put pacifer back in he loses it and crys its non stop all day i may get 20 -30 minutes if im lucky. I dont know what to do ? its like he doesnt fully go to sleep. He was 10 weeks early and he was held alot and he currently sleeps in a swing for naps and night at home. I dont have the kind of swing they have he isnt fond of mine. So whats a person to do ? byw he is the most adorable thing ever...God love him ! He needs sleep poor thing
SilverSabre25 06:18 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
I have a 4 month old right now that doesnt sleep with out pacifer or holdng or in a swing.. ugh I have been trying to lay him down and he will cry i put pacifer back in he loses it and crys its non stop all day i may get 20 -30 minutes if im lucky. I dont know what to do ? its like he doesnt fully go to sleep. He was 10 weeks early and he was held alot and he currently sleeps in a swing for naps and night at home. I dont have the kind of swing they have he isnt fond of mine. So whats a person to do ? byw he is the most adorable thing ever...God love him ! He needs sleep poor thing
Can you swaddle him? 10 weeks early is a LOT early. I also recommend getting the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" and applying some of the principles in there. Ten weeks early means that his adjusted age is only 2.5 months, or thereabouts, so he's a very, very little thing still. Does he come with a bucket seat? You could try putting him in that for naps. Since he sleeps in the swing at home I'd say that he is still needing the "womblike" atmosphere of closeness and warmth--also the white noise of the swing motor and the motion are probably reminding him of the womb as well.
marniewon 06:23 PM 11-02-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Can you swaddle him? 10 weeks early is a LOT early. I also recommend getting the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" and applying some of the principles in there. Ten weeks early means that his adjusted age is only 2.5 months, or thereabouts, so he's a very, very little thing still. Does he come with a bucket seat? You could try putting him in that for naps. Since he sleeps in the swing at home I'd say that he is still needing the "womblike" atmosphere of closeness and warmth--also the white noise of the swing motor and the motion are probably reminding him of the womb as well.
I second the idea of swaddling!! I had a little guy who had the hardest time sleeping unless I was holding/rocking him. The swaddling helped so much!
care-care 06:30 PM 11-02-2010
I do swaddle him It doesnt really help for too long.. If I lay him down awake and know he is tired i turn on a music box or a fan and have to re put pacifer in a few times he does better if i let him cry a few minutes then give pipey back then he will sleep for like 20 minutes then he loses his pipey (if not before) and cries. He was so tired tonight i ended up rocking him and it took like 35 minutes before he was limp( sound sleep) and I laid him down and sure enough loses pipey and cries still exhausted So do you think I should think of him as 2 months not 4 months? He is a doll.. i feel so bad for him cuz he needs sleep. I luckly onlyhave him right now but i have him in evening hours when all my family is home so thats ro
ugh too. I think in time hell do better.

bucket seat? car seat? he has normal baby car seat that everyone has right now
SilverSabre25 07:13 PM 11-02-2010
yeah, bucket seat, infant carrier, whatever people call it.

yes, that premature, the adjusted age *definitely* needs to be taken into account, especially as young as he is. Developmentally, he's really only about 2.5 months old. Think about it--how old would he be if he wasn't premature? That ten weeks of development still has to happen even if it doesn't happen in the uterus...then he starts developing the full-term infants.
care-care 05:16 AM 11-03-2010
Thanks so much for the reply... Ill try the car seat tomorrow when I have him and see how that goes.
Lilbutterflie 06:03 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by Fro:
I dont like to let the kids CIO. but it is a useful tool, when used with other things. routine is the most effective way to get any child to sleep. lay them down at the same time, with the same blanket, in the same bed... and decide if your going to rock, let them have a paci, or a bottle (of water only), (usually I try to do what the parents do, but I dont rock the kids to sleep, I wont give them milk, juice or formula in bed, and I cant spend all of nap time tending to one child.) and stick with that decision, only changing one thing at a time. When they cry, I pat their back without picking them up for a minute or 2 then walk away. If after a week or 2 of sticking to a routine, and still not getting them to sleep well, I will start letting them cry. One minute at first, then 2, then 5. if after 15 minutes they still wont sleep, I talk to their parents about it, and see if we can coordinate some kind of plan from their.
My own daughter started sleeping through the night after one cio session when she was 8 months old. I knew very well that she only cried because she had learned that that was the quickest way to get me to pick her up. She still sleeps through the night, with rare exceptions. She knows that once I shut that door, I only open it if Its important, or I hear that distressed cry. I dont always know a new daycare babies cry right off the bat though, so I take a bit of time getting to know them before I would let them cio.
sorry if this is long, and hope it makes sense, its been a really long day.
I completely agree with this! It's almost as though I wrote it. I took care of my neighbor/friend's baby off and on when he was about 2mos-6mos old. She rocked her baby to sleep for every nap and every evening. When he was about 5mos she started complaining that he was waking up all throughout the night needing to be rocked to sleep each time. So for naps I started rubbing and patting his bottom in the PNP (which he has always loved!) instead of rocking him, only letting him cry for a minute at first, and gradually working our way up to 5 minutes. The very first day by the second nap it was already working! His mom couldn't believe that I was able to get him to sleep without rocking him.
momofsix 06:38 AM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by cvankampen:
In MI he can only sleep in his bed, no car seats or swings (unless you get a note from his Dr.) and they JUST changed the rules to allow swaddlers! Yes, I would think of him as about 6 weeks old (if my math is right ) I would probably rock him as much as possible right now, and try laying him down when he's asleep. I know that's not the ideal. Then as he starts to sleep a little better try laying him down when he's almost asleep.
It's so hard for such a young one to keep that paci in their mouths! That makes it so hard when they really want to suck. He's not hungry is he?
DCMomOf3 07:16 AM 11-03-2010
I hope you figure this out! I have had kids who preferred to sleep sprawled out with no constrictions. Have you tried that?
care-care 05:55 PM 11-03-2010
He seems to startle if not wrapped up. So i use a swaddle blanket on him but I have tried both ways. Seems better if there is something soft by his cheek but then u have the rule of no blankets in pnp just the fitted sheet. I feed him every 3 hrs he is eating 5 oz at a time. He wont take pacifer very well if he is hungry and his tongue does a different thing when he is hungry so he is fed well changed and swaddles just dont like to be laying in pnp on his own when he is sleeping . I think now that ive been talking to you ladies that it didnt dawn on me that he is really 6 weeks old (4mon =16 weeks - 10 weeks early = 6 weeks.. So he is just being a new baby I just keep thinking 4 months old geesh he should be nappin better etc but he is more like 6 weeks i guess. he does smile alot talk babble follow with his eyes even giggle he is about 10.5 pounds he was 3.5 pounds at birth so he is doing great !
care-care 05:58 PM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
In MI he can only sleep in his bed, no car seats or swings (unless you get a note from his Dr.) and they JUST changed the rules to allow swaddlers! Yes, I would think of him as about 6 weeks old (if my math is right ) I would probably rock him as much as possible right now, and try laying him down when he's asleep. I know that's not the ideal. Then as he starts to sleep a little better try laying him down when he's almost asleep.
It's so hard for such a young one to keep that paci in their mouths! That makes it so hard when they really want to suck. He's not hungry is he?
Thats the hard part is I know he is suppose to be in the pnp and he just wont sleep in it but for a half hour tops ;( Im thinking of asking mom to get drs note so he can sleep where ever I can get him to sleep lol
care-care 05:42 PM 11-04-2010
Well dcb did awesome today slept well but in swing and bouncy seat. But he slept! I am gonna ask for a dr note i guess.. thanks all
Tags:crying
Reply Up