Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wow...Must Read
rmc20021 10:01 AM 04-09-2013
http://www.wwmt.com/shared/news/feat...ons-9085.shtml
GoodKarma 10:03 AM 04-09-2013
Unbelievable!
Oneluckymom 10:26 AM 04-09-2013
What a shame.
Play Care 10:34 AM 04-09-2013
I'm confused, it says she spanked her *own* child?

And they are taking the word of a 3 year old, who is not even the child who was supposedly spanked?

I don't believe in spanking, but the last I heard parents are legally allowed to use that method of discipline for their own children.
Starburst 10:47 AM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

And they are taking the word of a 3 year old, who is not even the child who was supposedly spanked?

I don't believe in spanking, but the last I heard parents are legally allowed to use that method of discipline for their own children.
On the sight it said:

"Her license was suspended after a parent noticed redness and swelling on her 3-year-old's bottom.An older sibling, also in the day care, said Smith had spanked the child."

It could be worded a little better. I think it was saying the DCM's noticed a red mark on her daughter and the DCM's oldest (age not disclosed) said that the provider spanked the little sister.

It may depend on the state regulations but I have read some past posts on here where other providers said that they are not allowed to spank even their own child during daycare because that is still exposing (seeing or hearing) the other kids to spanking even if their parents do not spank at home. I am putting on my policies that while I cannot control what they do at home; daycare parents cannot spank (or threaten to spank) their kids on my property- because of all the complications with ethics and licensing regulations. The director of my schools child development program/ preschool termed a parent on the spot when they spanked their child at the center. Also during daycare hours the provider's children have the same rights as for other daycare kids.
Heidi 10:51 AM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

no...I think it meant the parent noticed swelling on the bottom of her own child, not the provider's child.

I have had parents tell me to spank...no

In WI, it is against licensing regs to spank your own child in front of the daycare kids. So, basically if you do beleive in spanking and you think your kid deserves it, go to another room or make your husband do it.

As far as the article, nothing has been proven. I don't know how Michigan is, but WI is likely to drag a provider through the mud for such an allegation. It scares the heck out of me that a parent could (could...not did) just make that up or misread something. Guilty until proven innocent...
Play Care 11:07 AM 04-09-2013
Okay, I went back and had to read it again
MarinaVanessa 07:38 PM 04-09-2013
I'm in CA and even though spanking is not illegal providers can't spank ANY child during business hours even if its their own child.
Tags:article, punishment, spanking
Reply Up