Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Burn in Hand
lizzardb85 07:49 AM 02-06-2014
So 18 mo old DCB came in today after grabbing mom's curling iron and has a blistered burn on his pointer finger. He is not really able to play because everything he does hurts his hand and he cries/throws the toy.

Any recommendations to help him?

Mom hasn't responded yet to calls/text to ask if he has had or can have Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
SilverSabre25 07:52 AM 02-06-2014
a burn ointment that numbs it would be better than tylenol or ibuprofen. But also, depending on the severity and given the age, I'd be wondering if he really ought to be in care.
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 02-06-2014
Has he seen a doctor?

Those types of burns are so common but yet so dangerous....especially for toddlers who mouth/handle EVERYTHING....

I'd be uncomfortable having him in care unless he was seen by a doctor just to be sure it's all good.
lizzardb85 08:06 AM 02-06-2014
Def hasn't see a doc. I don't think she would have told me if he didn't show me while she was here. I will def be telling her to come at least dress the burn herself. A bit frustrated with her. Sigh.
Cat Herder 08:40 AM 02-06-2014
Burns to joints/hands in children should see their doctor. I'd remind Mom that I am a mandated reporter in your shoes.

A burn from grabbing a curling iron is NOT touching Mommies coffee cup.... >>>>indicating possible severity of the burn, tissue damage, not judgement of mom<<<<<

Does he still have full range of motion???

Ointments are not recommended for blistered burns....trying to remove them if they need medical interventions (cut downs, grafts) is excruciating. Dampened, cool, cloth. Loose.
lizzardb85 09:11 AM 02-06-2014
I still have no response from mom. He is doing better but she will be getting a notice today about communication. This is BS now I am more pissed about the no response than about the burn. Her other contacts are 3+ hours away.
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by lizzardb85:
I still have no response from mom. He is doing better but she will be getting a notice today about communication. This is BS now I am more pissed about the no response than about the burn. Her other contacts are 3+ hours away.
I would call her work and have her paged if necessary.

Non-communicating or reachable parents is on my top 5 list of things that seriously get under my skin!
Unregistered 09:42 AM 02-06-2014
A mandated reporter for what- ABUSE? Are you kidding. That's a little extreme. Children are curious and it takes a second to reach out and touch while mom is looking down or back or blinked even. Those things happen!

No it's not moms coffee cup nor is it a "I'm just gonna set my hot curling iron right here so that baby can touch it" type of scenario.
SilverSabre25 09:46 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
A mandated reporter for what- ABUSE? Are you kidding. That's a little extreme. Children are curious and it takes a second to reach out and touch while mom is looking down or back or blinked even. Those things happen!

No it's not moms coffee cup nor is it a "I'm just gonna set my hot curling iron right here so that baby can touch it" type of scenario.
Medical neglect
Cat Herder 09:53 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

To dump them in daycare without treatment or having the child seen and then to not return your providers MULTIPLE calls... Yeah. I'll go there.

Medical Neglect

I don't have to KNOW it is neglect... I only have to suspect it or have concerns. If it comes up later (like in the ER) that I did not I am LEGALLY liable for not having reported it. Two way street. It is a law, not my opinion.

Edit" I reread my post ^^^ I added to make sure you understood I was talking about the severity of the burn, not that the kid got the curling iron in the first place. It happens. ALL. The. Time. I know that. Sorry I was not more specific.

https://www.childwelfare.gov/systemw...utes/manda.pdf
My3cents 12:05 PM 02-06-2014
agree about seeing a doctor- Hello Mom??? Stop and take care of your kiddo! They probably would have wrapped it so it didn't become infected.

but I burned my hand a while back ago and the best stuff that helped it was ocean potion- for after burns from sun. You could see the burn go away and it felt better shortly after using. Aloe in it. I was amazed. I use this on diaper rash sometimes and its amazing-

I ran my hand under cold water immediately after burning it for a long time, then when I was about to go to the doctor myself I tried the ocean potion- amazing for me-

I was draining noodles and dropped the colander between my thumb and first digit.
Tags:injuries, mandated reporter, medical neglect, ocean potion, untreated burn
Reply Up