Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How did you get clients?
Newbie87 06:22 PM 08-29-2014
I'm going to start my a child care center in my home asap. How did everyone get clients? I need 3 students to make enough of a living.
Indoorvoice 07:05 PM 08-29-2014
All of my clients are friends, and friends of friends... I wouldn't recommend it! It's hard to keep your rules sometimes with people you love.
bklsmum 07:24 PM 08-29-2014
Craigslist and word of mouth.
BrooklynM 07:30 PM 08-29-2014
Word of mouth referrals!
daycare 07:38 PM 08-29-2014
I created a website I listed it every where I can for free

Such as

Daycare.com
Yellow pages
Care.com
Etc

I attend all mothers groups and hand out fliers, earlier this year I did a small presentation at one of their meetings.

I dropped brochures at all real estate offices and at the school dist. I have gotten many from school dist.

Healy expos set up a table. Preschool night out set up a table.
Kids expo I had a table.

I always Create an email sign up sheet at these events and really push people to sign up.

I email them my news letter once a month so they can see what's going on
I have gotten fabulous feed back that way.

Right now I already have 2 families wanting in for the fall enrollment next year. Their kids are not old enough right now and I don't have any openings.
I post all future opening that I have for kids aging out.

I do Craig's list but I have not gotten a lot of good feedback from it
Josiegirl 04:17 AM 08-30-2014
The 1st 2 kids I got were siblings of a friend. Then I answered an ad in the paper and got another one. From there word of mouth traveled quickly. But that was a million years ago. Now I have my name on the local childcare resource and referral list, I'm on STARS so that helps somewhat.
It never helped me to put an ad in the paper or on CL.
Put yourself 'out there' whenever and wherever you can, spread the word no matter where you are. If you're in line at the check-out strike up conversations, at a yard sale tell them your dcks will love what you're getting, that type of thing. Put up colorful unique ads at laundromats, grocery stores, community bulletin boards but always check to see if they're allowed.
You just never know where you'll find a client.
My newest dck came from one of my current dcm's FB, she was asking for help because she'd had dc all lined up for a Monday and it fell through. So my dcm told her about me and she found a temporary place til I could take her. Another dcf went to our local resource site and loved what I'd written about my philosophy, plus each of the in-laws shared my first/last name so they took it as a sign. So one just never knows. Good luck!
Shell 07:02 AM 08-30-2014
Craigslist is how I got my first five families, and now I go by word of mouth referral from my first clients.
knoxmomof2 07:03 AM 08-30-2014
100% of my business has been from Craigslist. I've had my first child for almost 2 years. I was totally new at this, so took a break as I added each new child, to get used to their needs before posting my ad again. It only took me a week or so to fill a spot once I post, and they seem to stay here once they start! Lol.. (My 2nd dck started at 9 mos, her Mom informed me that once she was walking, she would be moving her to a Montessori school related to her work. She started walking, and one day let me know that she would be keeping her with me instead &#128513

Some people look down on Craigslist, but I'm normal (at least that's what they tell me.. Lol) and my parents are too. Of course, I read people well, so that helps. I've only had 1 visit to "crazy town" early on, but it was a teaching moment for me on not being so desperate to fill a spot that I ignore the alarm bells in my head. (nothing threatening, just unstable people in regards to payment, pick up time, expectations.... Everything! Lol.. . I feel for the child involved there...)
pattyschildcare 07:10 PM 08-30-2014
I am also needing to find a way to fill spaces. I have had this home childcare for 30 years, and have never been down to 2 children with no calls coming in. I haven't had to advertise in 25 years. I always got calls from word of mouth, and the city had a referral service that parents could call. They no longer have that. There is a website, but I don't think all parents know about it. In my area there are a lot of churches that have opened daycares, and are now taking infants as well as toddlers. So I believe that is where a lot of the parents are going, seeing these places on their way to work. I can't afford to advertise in local magazines. And I'm a little afraid of what kind of calls I may get from craig's list. I'm used to getting calls from people who know someone who knows me. When an unknown person calls and asks if you have space available of course you say yes, you advertised it, but what if once you meet them you just don't feel good about them? A long time ago when I first started I advertised in a little local hand-out paper, and some of the calls I got were just weird. One mother showed up, was supposed to call back first, but didn't and the kids were very dirty, had no diapers in bag, and one was sick, later in the day, she called and said a friend was coming to pick them up. The friend was from DCF , Child protective services. So, I guess I'm asking for more ideas for getting word out and if advertising on craig's list, how do you screen and say no to people at an interview?
Thriftylady 07:14 PM 08-30-2014
Originally Posted by pattyschildcare:
I am also needing to find a way to fill spaces. I have had this home childcare for 30 years, and have never been down to 2 children with no calls coming in. I haven't had to advertise in 25 years. I always got calls from word of mouth, and the city had a referral service that parents could call. They no longer have that. There is a website, but I don't think all parents know about it. In my area there are a lot of churches that have opened daycares, and are now taking infants as well as toddlers. So I believe that is where a lot of the parents are going, seeing these places on their way to work. I can't afford to advertise in local magazines. And I'm a little afraid of what kind of calls I may get from craig's list. I'm used to getting calls from people who know someone who knows me. When an unknown person calls and asks if you have space available of course you say yes, you advertised it, but what if once you meet them you just don't feel good about them? A long time ago when I first started I advertised in a little local hand-out paper, and some of the calls I got were just weird. One mother showed up, was supposed to call back first, but didn't and the kids were very dirty, had no diapers in bag, and one was sick, later in the day, she called and said a friend was coming to pick them up. The friend was from DCF , Child protective services. So, I guess I'm asking for more ideas for getting word out and if advertising on craig's list, how do you screen and say no to people at an interview?
WHOA!!!!! She had DCF come pick up the kids??? That is just nuts.
Reply Up