Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Birthdays
Sherrihoos 09:37 AM 04-21-2017
Question for childcare providers: Do you give the children in your day care birthday gifts and/or Christmas gifts? I have done a book, but it gets expensive when doing this for several children. Do you attend their birthday parties when invited?
Thank you for your help!
KSDC 09:41 AM 04-21-2017
I do a book and a small toy - usually something themed with the book for Birthdays and for Christmas.

I went to one party years ago. It was very awkward. I was in a home full of grown-ups that I didn't know. So, lots of standing around and trying to make small talk with strangers. Now, I am always "busy" when I get those invites.
Blackcat31 09:55 AM 04-21-2017
Originally Posted by Sherrihoos:
Question for childcare providers: Do you give the children in your day care birthday gifts and/or Christmas gifts? I have done a book, but it gets expensive when doing this for several children. Do you attend their birthday parties when invited?
Thank you for your help!
I have given gifts before but as a general rule I don't do DCK birthdays at all.

Most my families keep their child on their birthday but those that don't just have a regular day. They get "special" here, like first in line, job choice, get to pick first etc type stuff but that's about it.

As for going to birthday parties....nope. I work 10.5 hour days. I don't do ANYTHING daycare related outside those hours, including attending birthday parties for DCK's.
Josiegirl 10:25 AM 04-21-2017
I've gone to a couple birthday parties in the past too but not anymore. I'm with the PP who said it was awkward and didn't know many people, etc. So for birthdays we usually have a small celebration here, give a gift, decorate with balloons, sing HB, and make cupcakes if dcps don't mention doing anything/or I'll ask.
Christmas...yes, I give a book and something else to go with it. Last couple years we've had a table set out with treats to nibble on, and Santa shows up. They decorated gingerbread cookies this year which was a hit.
Kajada 10:25 AM 04-21-2017
We sing Happy Birthday and maybe have a little treat. I never serve desserts or anything like that, so a cookie on a birthday is a big deal. I haven't done gifts so far, but I think I will from now on.

One of my daycare families was soooo generous at Christmas that I wish I had thought to get them a present! Yikes. I'm pretty useless/clueless when it comes to gift giving. They arrived with wine (white for me, red for my husband...they must have been watching our recycling bin ) and gifts for both our children. This particular family is expecting their second child any day now and I did give them a little something for the baby. I don't want to go overboard with gifts, but I think a book for birthdays will be my plan going forward, and a gift card for the parents at Christmas.
Jupadia 10:50 AM 04-21-2017
Currently I do attend if invited to party's but only cause my boys are the ones invited since their the same ages as the DK kids. I invite the DK to my kids party's as well. So in this case I do get a gift and spend around 40 ish (Canadian) since I have 2 kids attending.

If it was just me no I would not go. Then I do a daycare gift around 10 ish (spend the same at Christmas). So far I've just not be invited to a couple first birthdays but did give a gift with a bit more value cause those same parents gave me baby gifts and first birthday gifts for my youngest even though we had no DK at his party. Also at daycare we do mini cupcake and sing happy birthday at afternoon snack even if I'm going to the party.
e.j. 12:23 PM 04-21-2017
We celebrate birthdays with a small treat like a cupcake or ice cream sandwich and then the birthday child gets to pick from the "Birthday Box". I wrapped a large box in wrapping paper and stuck a big bow on it. I fill it with books, coloring books, crayons and small toys - whatever I find on sale. At Christmas, I give them each a book and small toy to go with it.

I've attended birthday parties and like others have said, it felt very awkward. I usually have other plans for that day. (Which really isn't a lie; I'm usually trying to catch up on everything I didn't get a chance to do during the week!)
NeedaVaca 01:25 PM 04-21-2017
I do not buy birthday gifts, the only time I buy gifts in Christmas. During daycare we will sing Happy Birthday and I make cupcakes. I never attend parties.
childcaremom 01:32 PM 04-21-2017
In the past, I have. I went to parties, as well.

Then, no.

Now, I get a small gift for this group of littles. But no to going to parties.
Pandaluver21 03:48 PM 04-21-2017
For birthday's we give a "birthday balloon" and sometimes parents bring a treat. The last couple years we've had a majority of our kids birthday's be close, so we did a little party.

I have attended almost all of the birthday's we've been invited too, as have some of the other families. If going to a party, we usually bring a gift.

For Christmas we do a gift for each child (usually hand made), then a gift for each family. (usually the family gift is something food related)
Unregistered 12:14 AM 04-22-2017
I also have a birthday box filled with dollar items from the $ store-it's also wrapped ( an empty computer paper box, they have those nice lids). They LOVE to look through all those goodies.......such a big decision!

We sing Happy Birthday and I have a birthday bear that sits at their spot on the table for snack and lunch. We only have a special treat if parents bring one.

I don't go to parties.
AmyKidsCo 09:08 AM 04-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have given gifts before but as a general rule I don't do DCK birthdays at all.

Most my families keep their child on their birthday but those that don't just have a regular day. They get "special" here, like first in line, job choice, get to pick first etc type stuff but that's about it.

As for going to birthday parties....nope. I work 10.5 hour days. I don't do ANYTHING daycare related outside those hours, including attending birthday parties for DCK's.
I give my DCK a gift and either the parents bring a special treat or I provide one. I do Christmas gifts also. I don't attend their birthday parties, T-ball games, school plays, go camping with them, etc. Basically the same as BC.
finsup 10:57 AM 04-22-2017
Birthdays we do a gift (20$ or less generally) and cupcakes. Parties, I go to because the kids become my kids friends so it's really my kids who get invited and I'm there because I bring them.
Christmas, I always do gifts for the kids and families. I try to do something they can do as a family, day pass to children's museum or other kid/parent friendly places, a book, and grown up treats like fancy chocolates or wine etc.
Ariana 11:58 AM 04-22-2017
I never go to parties and I sometimes get gifts and sometimes I don't! It depends on the kid and how long they have been here
Sherrihoos 09:53 PM 04-22-2017
Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply! Your responses were reassuring and highly valued!
Meeko 05:40 AM 04-26-2017
I am licensed for 16 kids at any given time. I have 19 enrolled at the moment, due to sharing spots.

Nineteen birthday parties/presents etc. would be waaay too much...so I don't do anything more than having the kids sing Happy Birthday and serving whatever treat the PARENT brings (I give them a list of acceptable items) after we have lunch.

I still get invited to the kids parties, but just tell the parents that as I cannot attend every party...I don't attend any of them. It's the fairest for the kids and the easiest for me!
hwichlaz 09:02 AM 04-26-2017
I do gifts. Last I checked, $50 per year per child is deductible for gifts. I haven't updated to see if it's gone up or not because I don't come close to that, but it's a valid business expense.

I tend to do a theme at Christmas, and a craft kit or book for birthdays.
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I do gifts. Last I checked, $50 per year per child is deductible for gifts. I haven't updated to see if it's gone up or not because I don't come close to that, but it's a valid business expense.

I tend to do a theme at Christmas, and a craft kit or book for birthdays.
Hmm, where did you find the info about $50 per year per person?

The last info I came across says "IRS rules say that you can deduct gifts as a business expense up to $25 per person per year."
http://tomcopelandblog.com/the-busin...hristmas-gifts

Just wanting to make sure....
hwichlaz 09:59 AM 04-26-2017
Ha, thank you. Maybe I was doing $50 per year per family. Still comes out to less than $25 per kid though. My gift target is generally around $10 per gift. Parent/family gifts are always things that the kids made so that comes out of my craft budget.
Blackcat31 10:01 AM 04-26-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Ha, thank you. Maybe I was doing $50 per year per family. Still comes out to less than $25 per kid though. My gift target is generally around $10 per gift. Parent/family gifts are always things that the kids made so that comes out of my craft budget.
Good to know! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong or missed something..
Tags:birthday invitation, birthday party, parties
Reply Up