Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop Ins??
safechner 09:18 AM 05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
I will have an interview with a single father tonight for part time care, I think. One of my daycare mother referred him about my daycare services. He have two kids (ages of 8 and 5). I normally don't take more than 5 years old kids but I thought it will be okay since I have two daughters of my own (ages 7 1/2 and 9) so they can play with her. He needs care for his kids Wednesdays and every other Friday. Should I charge them drop ins? I don't think I will take any more new daycare kids this summer because I want to take my kids activities a lot this summer. I am not sure if I should make a new drop ins contract for him to sign. Any suggest? Do you have drop ins contract?

Thanks!!
mismatchedsocks 09:21 AM 05-10-2010
Is he going to need care every Wednesday and Friday same times etc? If so I would have him sign a regular contract, so you get 2week notice ( if you do that). I would also have him prepay for the week. You might already do that not sure.

I do take drop ins, but they have to call every week and ask if I have openings, and pay at drop off. But if it were a consistant thing, I would have a set amount to pay each week.

Good luck!
Lucy 09:50 AM 05-10-2010
So it's every Wednesday, and every-other Friday?

I charge a monthly amount, so if it were me, I would average that out and charge for 6.5 days per month. Let's say, for example, you charge $25 per day. For 2 kids that's $50 per day times 6.5, which equals $325 per month.

If you charge weekly, I would again use an averaging method and say 1.5 days per week. Again, assuming the $25 per day, or $50 for both kids, that would be $75 per week.

Yes, I would definitely have him on a contract. It would clearly state that they are contracted for every Wednesday and every-other Friday, and that the monthly/weekly (or whatever you use) charge will be X amount, and that it is due on X day of the week, month, etc. For me, I do not give credit for missed days, so the amount we come up with when the contract is drawn and signed is the amount they ALWAYS owe whether they miss a day or not. Easy Peasy. Also, I would DEFINITELY make him pay in advance.
momma2girls 09:50 AM 05-10-2010
I do the same thing. If it's an every week thing, that is considered parttime not drop in, in my book. If they want the same times and the same days each week, have them sign your contract for them hrs. and days each week. I have many fillin or drop in families that call me when their daycare is off on vac. etc. they just pay that morning of care.
safechner 10:33 AM 05-10-2010
That makes sense! He needs a care for his kids every Wednesdays and every other Friday. Do you think I should charge every Fridays no matter what if they are not here?

I would charge $30 a day for a 5 year old but I am not sure how much it should be for an 8 year old? Any idea?
mismatchedsocks 12:04 PM 05-10-2010
I would probably charge the same for each kid, since here they would both be considered school age in my book. I would give him a weekly rate that he pays each week, and dont say you are charging X amount for each kid per day. Just say it will be $60 for the Wed only week, and $120 for the Wed, Fri week. Or charge him $120 each week no matter what? I dont know how your policies read, or how flexible you are in that.
safechner 07:38 PM 05-10-2010
Thank you so much! It went well tonight. The father told me that he had an interview with other provider which she charged too high more than what I charge. She charges $90 a day for both children. Wow..that is pretty high in my area, I think.
Tags:contract, drop in care
Reply Up