Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My First Nap Issue Ever!
queenbee 01:40 PM 07-11-2012
I'm hoping from some insight from you all. Since I've opened, I've never had any type of napping issue from any of my daycare children. I've had amazing babies, amazing toddlers and amazing preschoolers and up who nap every single day.

Background: We start preparing for naptime at 12:15pm. Diaper changes, bathroom breaks, cots and cribs are put out and everyone snuggles into bed. We go on a 3 mile hike each morning and 18mo and older walk the entire way. Never had a child complain or not be able to accomplish this. We also do outdoor play before lunch so everyone is nice and tired when naptime rolls around. Heck, half of my kids are asleep before the last child lays down and everyone (besides the youngest 4mo baby) sleeps until 3pm.

My recently enrolled dcb just turned 2 last month. He's been with me for about 3 weeks and I am not having any success getting him into a napping schedule like my other kids. Parents say he sleeps in a crib at home and sleeps like a champ, but even if I believe them I am having a lot of trouble.

First day he laid on a cot. Laid him down, covered him with a blanket and 1/2 minute later he was up. Laid him down, he got back up. Laid him down, he got back up. Rinse and repeat for the entire duration of naptime. Second day, I put him in a pack and play. He easily climbs out and once you put him back in, out he comes

I brought out my sleep sacks that I mainly use for my babies on the third day. I put him in one and wouldn't you know he knows how to climb out with a freaking sleep sack on. Head first, over the side of the pack and play. Not only is this dangerous, but I cannot have my other infants and young toddlers watching this and getting any ideas.

Before any suggestions are made, I do just want to say that I cannot sit by him on a cot and make sure he stays on it. The baby eats at 12:30pm each day and then he gets some one-on-one before he lays down for a nap for the rest of nap.

I'm out of ideas besides forking over $60-$80 for a pack and play mesh tent. I really don't want to spend this amount of money on this one child when I know I'll never use this product for anyone else or in the future.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? This is his 3rd week with me and he occasionally falls asleep for 20 minutes and is back up ready to go. I've gone from cot to pack and play to mat on the floor and back to cot with no success. Not only is it taking a toll on his little body with no nap during the day, it's causing me a lot of stress when I'm not able to take a proper afternoon break to eat my lunch and catch up on paperwork, updating daycare facebook, prepping daily reports, posting pictures, clean up and prep for snack.

Please help?
cheerfuldom 02:13 PM 07-11-2012
What times is this little guy there from? is he full time? is he there for the entire morning program, including the walk?
queenbee 05:24 PM 07-11-2012
Full-time. He arrives at 7:30 each morning and leaves between 3:30 and 4pm. He does well on the walk even though parents say they use a stroller for every outing.

If I'm tired from the walk, I KNOW his little body has to be. He yawns all afternoon and his parents have often commented on his early bedtimes because he's so tired.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:58 PM 07-11-2012
Maybe you're missing the "window" for his nap; he might be tired before nap time, and overtired by the time it starts. Can he go in earlier, as soon as he's finished with lunch or something? I often find that when kids are fighting sleep, it's from being overtired.

My own daughter is exhausted by 11:30--it's really tricky, as I've always had a successful 1-3 nap time for the kids. It started causing such problems for us all that I've bumped up nap time to 12-2, and it's working much better, not only for her, but for several of the others, too.
Heidi 11:04 AM 07-12-2012
My nap time is -12-3. All mine (including one who is almost 4) sleep 3 hours. Sometimes I have to wake them up!

I recently had a similar issue with my first dcb. He's been with me since he was 9 month old, is now 2 1/2. Always slept in a pnp, but since I had a baby starting and other kid changes, I thought I'd try him on a mat. It was hit-or-miss for a few days, and then all the sudden, he got it.

If they all sleep in the same room, how about putting his bed in a corner of your livingroom or kitchen instead? My kids all want to sleep with their friends, so if being naughty got them moved, it be very motivating. Maybe have a 2nd bed all set up, and tell him...if you get up...you'll have to go sleep by yourself. If you want to sleep by your friends, you MUST stay on your mat.

Does he have a lovey? Maybe if he had something that could go to bed with him (mine all like to go pick a stuffed animal...except M, who has to have 1 wooded train to "cuddle). He can keep it as long as he STAYS on his mat. Otherwise, lovey gets put away. Or a book? Or a sticker if he stays on his mat? I hate stickers charts, but would probably use one for something like this, if it had a chance of working.

I guess it's just a matter of figuring out what will motivate him to stay put. Once he does, he'll probably zonk out.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:31 PM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
My nap time is -12-3. All mine (including one who is almost 4) sleep 3 hours. Sometimes I have to wake them up!
Ok, I have to know your secret to the three-hour nap! :-)
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 07-13-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Mine all sleep 3 full hours too. In the winter time probably only 2 hours but in the summer time it is a FULL 3 hours. They are all so worn out that they eat, brush their teeth and then lie down. Usually my first one is asleep before the last one done brushing comes in and lays down.

I too have to wake several of them if they aren't awake after 3 hours. I feel kind of badly that they take 3 hour naps but NONE of my parents have complained about any difficulty at bed time so.....

I don't have any idea what the secret to this is besides maybe that the DCK's are rarely inside in the summer and are on the move continually with the exception of lunch time and nap time. Even now, we have been outside for 2.5-3 hours and none of my kids are sitting or are still....they are all moving and groving doing their thing. Even the ones in the sandbox are standing/squating but not sitting.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:18 PM 07-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Mine all sleep 3 full hours too. In the winter time probably only 2 hours but in the summer time it is a FULL 3 hours. They are all so worn out that they eat, brush their teeth and then lie down. Usually my first one is asleep before the last one done brushing comes in and lays down.

I too have to wake several of them if they aren't awake after 3 hours. I feel kind of badly that they take 3 hour naps but NONE of my parents have complained about any difficulty at bed time so.....

I don't have any idea what the secret to this is besides maybe that the DCK's are rarely inside in the summer and are on the move continually with the exception of lunch time and nap time. Even now, we have been outside for 2.5-3 hours and none of my kids are sitting or are still....they are all moving and groving doing their thing. Even the ones in the sandbox are standing/squating but not sitting.
Wow! I have nap envy. My kids are out 2.5-3 hours every morning, too, but I have to work my tail off to get them to sleep and they nap 1.5 hours on average. I bet it's a matter of hours. I don't open until 8, and though I ask parents to arrive by 9, many barely make it by then, and some straggle in later than that every day. I bet they're asleep late in the mornings. (Most of my parents are self-employed.)

edited to add--I guess I should say that the kids here on time are out 2.5-3 hours!
Reply Up