Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Can't Kids Play Outside Anymore!!??
Soccermom 10:40 AM 11-15-2013
It is a beautiful day outside here today! Much warmer than our usual Mid-November temps so I sent the Afterschool Gang outside to play while I got some things done inside. They come in after 15 minutes and say - We want to go play in the playroom...

What!?? Why?? It is a beautiful sunny day! Go play!!

This is a regular thing for them. Unless I am standing right out there with them, they will try to sneak back in the house or all have to conveniently go to the bathroom. Either that or run in to tattle about someone looking at them the wrong way. OMG!

I don't get it! Why is it such torture for kids to play outside now?

When I was a kid I dropped my backpack on the steps and took off outside with my friends. I didn't come back until mom yelled - Supper!!

I couldn't wait to get out of that stuffy school and off that crowded bus to run around in the fresh, open air.
Cat Herder 10:47 AM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
1. Unless I am standing right out there with them

2. with my friends.
***Answered by a daycare brat.

1. That is what they do at recess in school.

2. They don't have their friends at your house. They see you as an extension of school.
Play Care 12:54 PM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
It is a beautiful day outside here today! Much warmer than our usual Mid-November temps so I sent the Afterschool Gang outside to play while I got some things done inside. They come in after 15 minutes and say - We want to go play in the playroom...

What!?? Why?? It is a beautiful sunny day! Go play!!

This is a regular thing for them. Unless I am standing right out there with them, they will try to sneak back in the house or all have to conveniently go to the bathroom. Either that or run in to tattle about someone looking at them the wrong way. OMG!

I don't get it! Why is it such torture for kids to play outside now?

When I was a kid I dropped my backpack on the steps and took off outside with my friends. I didn't come back until mom yelled - Supper!!

I couldn't wait to get out of that stuffy school and off that crowded bus to run around in the fresh, open air.
In my state school agers can legally be outside without me - and my home setup is such that it's actually easier to supervise them when in the back yard (the back of my house is all window pretty much) and I have strict rules/perimeters and I make sure they know it's a privilege and the alternative is sitting at the table doing reading or homework...So with that said, I kick'em out and make'em stay out I make sure they have snack and use the bathroom before heading out. My group (all boys) is too wild to be inside for long.
nannyde 01:27 PM 11-15-2013
There are no screens outside.
Jack Sprat 01:40 PM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I have been very lucky in that all my families are very outdoorsy people. The kids cry when we have to come in.
daycare 01:52 PM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
this was my thought too...... they want that ipad, ipod, tv, computer or cool electronic toy to entertain them..
caregiver 07:43 AM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
this was my thought too...... they want that ipad, ipod, tv, computer or cool electronic toy to entertain them..
Kids today are missing out on so much outdoor fun,and it has so much to do with technology of today and those electronic things.
Do kids even know how to play outside? They may run around and play on things like a swing set, but they have no idea what really playing outside and having fun is!
Now, I am in my 50's, so what I post here is dated, but we used to love to be outside and would not come in until we were called for supper. Every day in the summer we were outside and would not dream of being inside.
We played tag, Simon says, rode our bikes around the block, roller skated around the block,played "kick the can" if any of you remember that game.
Played hop scotch,put on plays for the neighborhood,we even did backyard carnivals for the neighborhood people,which was so much fun. Had lemonade stands. We played crochet, put up nets and played badminton.(sp). I don't even think kids of today even think of playing anything like these things or know how too.
All they want to do is play computer games,i pad and games on the t.v. So sad! Speaking of kids today, this is off subject, but kids of today also do not know how to be social or have social skills. They prefer to email or text their friends instead of talking to them in person or on the phone. One parent had asked their teenager about how her friend was doing and that she should call her just to chit chat and the girl replied, why would I want to talk to her on the phone, when I can just text her to find out how she is. Also so sad. Sometimes I think that social media has gone way too far and people just are not learning how to communicate and lack the social skills needed to get along in life. Just my thought though.
LK5kids 12:18 PM 11-18-2013
When I was a kid we ran all around the neighborhood...went to friend's houses, rode bikes around for blocks....SA kids have to stay in the yard. I think that is part of the difference.
When I taught kindergarten kids had NO trouble playing outside. All the way up to fifth grade. It's just different having to stay in the day care backyard....and they know we want them to stay out there!

And of course, there is the "curse" of I-Pads, video games, computer games, games on phones, DS, etc, etc....Kids don't play outside when home either. I hardly see kids outside. It's sad!

I know if you have a nice big yard they really should do better at playing.
sharlan 12:40 PM 11-18-2013
Daycare is much different than home. When a child is in daycare, they can't run over to a friend's house, they can't hop on their bikes and ride around the neighborhood. They're confined to the backyard, regardless of the size, it's still the backyard.

I've been lax lately, but I try to take the older kids out front to ride their bikes up and down the street. I live on a cul de sac and I'll put an orange cone out in the middle of the street and let the kids ride their bikes in the street.
Heidi 12:40 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
When I was a kid we ran all around the neighborhood...went to friend's houses, rode bikes around for blocks....SA kids have to stay in the yard. I think that is part of the difference.
When I taught kindergarten kids had NO trouble playing outside. All the way up to fifth grade. It's just different having to stay in the day care backyard....and they know we want them to stay out there!

And of course, there is the "curse" of I-Pads, video games, computer games, games on phones, DS, etc, etc....Kids don't play outside when home either. I hardly see kids outside. It's sad!

I know if you have a nice big yard they really should do better at playing.
This is what I was going to say, too. We have an acre, and live in a rural subdivision. Our licensing regs say that we can let schoolagers off property, but that we need to be able to keep track of them. Kind of a fine line. My rule has been if they can see the house, they're ok. So, they can play with the girl across the street in her front yard, but not her backyard.
Childminder 12:48 PM 11-18-2013
I just say "Oh well, go play OUTSIDE!"
blessed mom 01:41 PM 11-18-2013
Technology is impacting our youth a lot!! Unlike us (well some of us) who were not raised with it there is a lot of it out there. My son who is 11 gets two hours a day...one in the morning and one after school. After that he's like...I don't know what to do!? What? Go outside, ride your bike build a fort do something! What the heck!! He will eventually settle in with drawing or reading but I have to put strict limits on electronics. I find that many young parents today use technology to babysit...and it's everywhere! Video players in your car...or hand them an ipad or your phone...easy access to keep them "busy" and out of your hair. So sad though. They even make toddler tablets!!
caregiver 03:38 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by blessed mom:
Technology is impacting our youth a lot!! Unlike us (well some of us) who were not raised with it there is a lot of it out there. My son who is 11 gets two hours a day...one in the morning and one after school. After that he's like...I don't know what to do!? What? Go outside, ride your bike build a fort do something! What the heck!! He will eventually settle in with drawing or reading but I have to put strict limits on electronics. I find that many young parents today use technology to babysit...and it's everywhere! Video players in your car...or hand them an ipad or your phone...easy access to keep them "busy" and out of your hair. So sad though. They even make toddler tablets!!
I have not seen toddler tablets. Man, what is this world coming too!
You know what else I hate to see.....off subject again, but I hate to see little kids with cell phones. I have seen as young as 5 yrs old have one.
What on earth does a 5 yr old need with a cell phone. And yes, it was a real one,not a toy one. It was in a restaurant, Mom was talking on one also and so was the little boy,conversation was overheard a little bit and they were talking to 2 different people. Boy hung up and put it in his pants pocket, Mom was still talking through most of the whole meal,not even paying any attention to her kids. Maybe that's why he had the cellphone, so he could have someone to talk too! His Mom certainly wasn't!
Reply Up