Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With One Child?
AfterSchoolMom 07:48 AM 04-12-2011
I'm back to doing drop-in only during the school day, and I have one 2 year old coming tomorrow. Does anyone else ever have only one during the day? Do you play with them more or let them do their own thing?

I remember playing with my DS when he was an only, but I didn't do it all day...
dEHmom 07:54 AM 04-12-2011
most everything I do is going with the flow. IF they are playing nicely alone, I leave them, if they look like they need a friend, or some guidance, I go to them.
MG&Lsmom 08:09 AM 04-12-2011
I have only 1 on Wednesday mornings since my son goes to early intervention preschool now. We've been doing fun trips. I have to drop off the preschool kids after my son gets on his bus so we're out anyway. He loves the Thomas train table at Barnes & Noble, or I take him to the pet store to look at all the animals and fish. We went to the library to see one of their free programs. It's getting nice outside, so we'll probably go play on some local playgrounds. I'm hoping that I can fill the 2 spots I now have open so he's no longer alone tho.
nannyde 08:19 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I'm back to doing drop-in only during the school day, and I have one 2 year old coming tomorrow. Does anyone else ever have only one during the day? Do you play with them more or let them do their own thing?

I remember playing with my DS when he was an only, but I didn't do it all day...
I had that over spring break. Four of five of the days I had one kid.

Oh Lawdy...

I would rather have seven.

The "only" was a devil by the end of the week.
PitterPatter 10:46 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:

I try to follow the usual routine but obviously it doesn't take as long so that's just more 1 on 1 time I have to get the educational subjects in as well as the child having the pleasure of playing with ANYTHING he/she wants to without dividing and sharing.
MsMe 10:59 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had that over spring break. Four of five of the days I had one kid.

Oh Lawdy...

I would rather have seven.

The "only" was a devil by the end of the week.
I only had three yesterday. that is about as low as it gets around here. It is def different and i am with Nannyde I would much rather have a house full anyday. SOOOO boring with just a couple. In 7 years there have been 2 days when I only had one child. It was tourture! I am closong Good Friday this year for the first time simply to avoid the situation again.

I don't know who you ladies with 5/6 kids or less do it!!
daycare 12:24 PM 04-12-2011
I never have just one beaucse I have my own 3.5, but my son hardly every plays with the DCK during school. Since i teach a program, I would just carry on with my day as if all of the kids were here. This way they get my attention, guidance, and then free play to play alone and then maybe with me if they wanted to play something together. However, I would try my hardest to get the DCK to have solo play. I think that it is important that one can learn to entertain themself..
cheerfuldom 12:51 PM 04-12-2011
I always have at least my two but I will say, sometimes my two are more work on the weekends than all the kids combined during the week!
morgan24 02:18 PM 04-12-2011
I had just one since the beginning of school. It was miserable. I would rather have 6. She thinks I need to entertain her all day or let her watch t.v. or movies. Now I have 2 and it's alittle better. Good luck with your one.
kidkair 02:40 PM 04-12-2011
Currently I only have two and one was sick a couple days last week. The one I had is 3 so one day we took a very very long walk/hike and the other day I hung out with another provider at her house so my kid would have some social interaction and so could I. I try hard to stick to routine so that when I get more kids these two will be used to following routine still and help the new ones adapt. If I had just one drop in kid I would probably spend most of the day playing with the kid if s/he didn't just play alone very well.
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up