Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toy Storage
AnythingsPossible 08:50 AM 09-09-2011
I think I have a new daycare organization plan. No bins, just throw everything on the floor. It's all they seem to want to do lately. I think it sounds like a plan.
Meeko 09:06 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
I think I have a new daycare organization plan. No bins, just throw everything on the floor. It's all they seem to want to do lately. I think it sounds like a plan.
In this "child-led" world we live in...it's what's done at home...so why not at day care too?

I often hear kids make comments like "My mom doesn't make me cleanup!" or "My mom does it for me". One 8 year old child even haughtily said no when I said it was time to clean up and said "It's my choice if I want to clean up". So I told him it was MY choice to send him to time out for being sassy and disobedient!! He seemed genuinely shocked.

My rule is YOU MADE THE MESS. YOU CLEAN IT UP. To me it's just learning responsibility....but I have interviewed some parents who are shocked that the kids must clean up after themselves (some love it of course).

I insist that the toys be put away RIGHT too. Every toy has a home. Legos don't go in the bristle block drawer and cars don't get mixed in with the play food.
kidkair 12:11 PM 09-09-2011
I teach kids to clean up after themselves too. Even the 15 month old I have right now is learning what toys go where.
AnythingsPossible 12:14 PM 09-09-2011
It isn't usually as bad as it seems to be today. Even my girls who are good about putting things away are throwing things everywhere. The biggest culprits though our the two 15 month olds and the one year old. Time to start teaching some cleaning lessons for sure.
TBird 12:15 PM 09-09-2011
UGH!!! I tell my own children daily....OH WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY would you MAKE the mess if you don't like cleaning UP the mess?!?!?!?!
beachgrl 12:25 PM 09-09-2011
We have this issue w my stepson, evidently ma doesn't MAKE him clean up and does it for him...why does a five yr old need to learn responsibility at this age? My hubby countered with, to teach him so that later he hopefully won't be like your other kid, you know.. The one that ran away as a teen and showed back up preggers and ready to give birth so that u now have a five yr old, a teen and a baby to take care of..maybe if she had learned responsibility and consequeces you and her wouldn't be in this situation!

Oh yah, consequences...what are those? He only has those at out house too.
Funny though that he doesn't throw fits with us, doesnt whine, doenst act nuttzo...weird

Course at times the five yr old prefers and uses mom letting him get away with everything but at same time he knows boundaries and such with us so hopefully growing up will have some skillsnto counteract her lack of them
beachgrl 12:28 PM 09-09-2011
But also, along the clean up route..the 14 mo old will help, the three yr old does sometimes and fights it others, I just tell him that if I clean up all his mess,nhe won't be playing w those same toys or won't be able to use the train table and toys which is separate from our dedicated daycare area but that he loves..if he throws a fit, time out..he is usually ready to comply it's said and done.
Tags:clean up, kids at home, organization, storage, toy storage
Reply Up