Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Special Milk" - Texas Provider Abuse Allegation
Cat Herder 12:26 PM 09-12-2011
Sep 10, 2011 by ■ Kim I. Hartman

Texas police were called to a daycare center after concerned employees notified them that the owner was serving the children a 'special milk' which was doped with a flavored antihistamine that was used to induce sleep each day.

"Kimberly Lane, owner of the Luv and Learning Daycare allegedly mixed the over-the-counter antihistamines in a large container of milk before serving it to the children, according to the Van Alstyne Police Department," reports MyFoxDFW.

Investigators with the police department arrived at the Luv and Learning Daycare Center Wednesday morning before Lane had a chance to serve the 'special milk' to the children who ranged in age from infant to four-years-old. Lt. Tim Barnes with the Van Alstyne Police said, "they could smell the flavored antihistamines in the milk product."

CBS-DFW reports there was a referral made to Child Protective Services (CPS) over the weekend in regards to the activity at the daycare center, which was licensed by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Daycare Division. Police obtained a search warrant and arrest warrant for Kimberly Lane and Luv and Learning Daycare Center.

Lane was charged with 16 felony counts of endangerment to a child. If convicted, she faces a maximum two years in jail and a fine of up to $10,000 for each count
Kaddidle Care 12:46 PM 09-12-2011
YIKES!!!!! Well she's done for. She'd better watch her back when she gets out of the pokey too. Insane!
beachgrl 12:50 PM 09-12-2011
What in the world is wrong with someone that makeslit okay in their head to do such?
familyschoolcare 12:53 PM 09-12-2011
One more reason parents should encourage their children to tell them everything that goes not in day car. I am not trying to blame the parents here.
tbutler 12:54 PM 09-12-2011
I read this article over the weekend. It's sad that there are actually people out there that would do this to other people's children or at all for that matter!
Meeko 12:59 PM 09-12-2011
I had a good friend who quit day care after a doping incident. This time it was the parents at fault.

She had a baby die in her day care and it was shown that huge amounts of antihistamines were in the baby's system. The parents immediately accused the day care provider of doping their baby to keep him asleep during the day and started a huge lawsuit.

Turns out that suspicious doctors and police required the older child (who was NOT in my friends day care) be tested too. He too had large amounts of meds in his system. Turns out the parents were the ones wanting to keep the kids sleepy.

They were both given dishonorable discharges from the air force and went to prison. It was especially heinous that they not only caused their own baby's death...but tried to gain from it via the lawsuit.

Even though the day care provider was innocent, she quit doing child care, which was a shame as she ran a wonderful day care.

I was fairly new to child care when this happened. It made me more vigilant about checking the health of the kids and documenting changes etc.
sharlan 12:59 PM 09-12-2011
I had a neighbor that gave her dd benedryl every night so she would go to sleep.

Yes, it's very, very, very important for parents to talk to their children about what goes on in their daily lives. (I won't recount the horror stories my kids told me after they grew up about what went on at daycare.)
sharlan 01:01 PM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I had a good friend who quit day care after a doping incident. This time it was the parents at fault.

She had a baby die in her day care and it was shown that huge amounts of antihistamines were in the baby's system. The parents immediately accused the day care provider of doping their baby to keep him asleep during the day and started a huge lawsuit.

Turns out that suspicious doctors and police required the older child (who was NOT in my friends day care) be tested too. He too had large amounts of meds in his system. Turns out the parents were the ones wanting to keep the kids sleepy.

They were both given dishonorable discharges from the air force and went to prison. It was especially heinous that they not only caused their own baby's death...but tried to gain from it via the lawsuit.

Even though the day care provider was innocent, she quit doing child care, which was a shame as she ran a wonderful day care.

I was fairly new to child care when this happened. It made me more vigilant about checking the health of the kids and documenting changes etc.
That happens way too often, parents not accepting the blame for their actions.
nannyde 01:20 PM 09-12-2011
There was a case I remember.

http://ravallirepublic.com/news/stat...33412837b.html

Sabine Bieber

I watched that one unfold.

She was buying HUGE amounts of benadryl and giving it to all the kids for years. Of course it ended with an infant death.

You would be suprised how often this comes up.
Ariana 01:40 PM 09-12-2011
This makes me sick to my stomach
mismatchedsocks 01:42 PM 09-12-2011
Wow. I know an ex family who gives benedryl to her children to get them to sleep sometimes. She thinks by following the dosage for each child's weight she was ok.
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 09-12-2011
I have a daycare mom who gives her child melatonin to sleep each night. I think it is an herbal remedy and not a medication but still, why does anyone have to drug their child to go to sleep?

I started refusing to medicate any child for any reason now because of situations like this. Each of my parents signs a waiver stating they are aware that I will NOT give their child ANY meds whatsoever becasue I do not want to assume that liability.

My 16 month old dcb, received his imms on Friday. Mom said he went hom eand had a seizure the next day. Nothing bad, but certinly very scary for the parents and the child. My rule has been that all imms need to be given on days where the child has atleast 48 hours off afterwards. I do not want that liability either.

My contract also states that if a parent gives their child meds before coming to care an fails to disclose this information to me, it is grounds for immediate termination.

In this day and age, one can never be too careful. Too many risks, too many liabilities, too many sue-happy people and too many uneducated parents when it comes to dosing and improper use of meds for their children.

I had a parent give her 2 yr old dd adult Nightquil back when it was still pretty potent. She figured that if she split the adult dose, she would be ok. Adult meds and childrens meds are sooooo VERY different that simply decreasing the dosage is not okay.
Cat Herder 02:13 PM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a daycare mom who gives her child melatonin to sleep each night..
Actually, I give my son Melatonin each night to sleep.

It is a hormone derived from Seratonin...naturally produced in the body by the pineal gland. It won't force sleep, just allows for it from over-stimulated brains like ours...

People with ADHD notoriously have difficulty sleeping and this is what my pediatrician recommended and gives his own two son's with ADHD.

It is over the counter, non addictive and will not effect his waking function.

I take it as well and have been sleeping like a baby for years. It is NOTHING like an antihistimine and if I have to get up in the middle of the night for an emergency there is NO effects on my alertness..

It won't have much effect on people whose hormone levels are already normal, it seems, though.
Blackcat31 02:39 PM 09-12-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Actually, I give my son Melatonin each night to sleep.

It is a hormone derived from Seratonin...naturally produced in the body by the pineal gland. It won't force sleep, just allows for it from over-stimulated brains like ours...

People with ADHD notoriously have difficulty sleeping and this is what my pediatrician recommended and gives his own two son's with ADHD.

It is over the counter, non addictive and will not effect his waking function.

I take it as well and have been sleeping like a baby for years. It is NOTHING like an antihistimine and if I have to get up in the middle of the night for an emergency there is NO effects on my alertness..

It won't have much effect on people whose hormone levels are already normal, it seems, though.
Please don't think I ws saying it was a bad drug, because I so wasn't. I actually know very little about it. This little guy is only 2 and I really believe she gives it because she hasn't developed a routine for bedtime yet. I think she thinks it is the easy button for 2 yr old sleep issues. This mom will give her child anything if you mention it helps him sleep and she is all for anything easy other than parenting. kwim?

How old is your son? I am all for herbal remedies if they help. My own son takes St. John's Wort for memory and concentration. He prefers it over Straterra. He says it also helps calm him since he has some awful anxiety issues now and then.
Cat Herder 02:43 PM 09-12-2011
Please don't think I ws saying it was a bad drug, because I so wasn't. I actually know very little about it. This little guy is only 2 and I really believe she gives it because she hasn't developed a routine for bedtime yet. I think she thinks it is the easy button for 2 yr old sleep issues. This mom will give her child anything if you mention it helps him sleep and she is all for anything easy other than parenting. kwim?

How old is your son? I am all for herbal remedies if they help. My own son takes St. John's Wort for memory and concentration. He prefers it over Straterra. He says it also helps calm him since he has some awful anxiety issues now and then.
Oh....no..That is not what I meant..

I was just letting you know what it was since I researched it like crazy before giving it to my son....

My son is 12 and started takng melatonin 5mg at 9.
tbutler 04:54 PM 09-12-2011
I started refusing to medicate any child for any reason now because of situations like this. Each of my parents signs a waiver stating they are aware that I will NOT give their child ANY meds whatsoever becasue I do not want to assume that liability.

My contract also states that if a parent gives their child meds before coming to care an fails to disclose this information to me, it is grounds for immediate termination.
I do not dispense meds either. I'm adding your response in the red to my handbook tonight. I will have it printed for parents to sign saying they have read and received their own copy tomorrow morning at drop off. Thanks for sharing.
godiva83 06:04 AM 09-13-2011
I also refuse to medicate unless it is a prescription with a note from the prescribing Doctor- you can never be too careful.
Tonight I am adding to my handbook about the parents not disclosing about medicating...it is a great thing to have, I have had a DCB about 16months cone some days and sleep for 7+ hours and I always question Mum about it- my gut feeling is he is being drugged
countrymom 09:44 AM 09-13-2011
I gave my ds melatonin because for some odd reason for several weeks he started waking up at 2am and not going back to sleep (he was 7 at the time hes 9 now) so it took 2 doses and he was back to sleeping. He needed to get his sleep rythem back. He was exhausted so this helped him.

I had a little girl whos mother would give her tylenol every night, I heard this from another parent but it explained alot when I watched her.
Meyou 11:45 AM 09-16-2011
Oh my goodness...I need to check out melatonin. I can fall asleep because I'm exhausted but I wake 20 times a night and have trouble going back to sleep because my brain just.won't.stop. This sounds like it might help.
DaycareMama 12:03 PM 09-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Oh my goodness...I need to check out melatonin. I can fall asleep because I'm exhausted but I wake 20 times a night and have trouble going back to sleep because my brain just.won't.stop. This sounds like it might help.
oh man this is me too! last night i swear i woke every 10-15 mins till i finally got up at 6am. I panic that i will over sleep and keep waking thinking its like 9am.
Tags:abuse, abuse of drugs, antihistamine abuse, bad providers, child abuse
Reply Up