Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bathroom for Enrolled Kids Only
Pandaluver21 06:02 PM 10-25-2018
I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific.

1) Do you allow prospective clients (kids and/or adults) to use your restroom during a walkthrough?

2) Do you allow parents to use your restroom during pick up/drop off?
sharlan 07:08 PM 10-25-2018
Yes and yes.
MyAngels 07:16 PM 10-25-2018
I would allow it, but TBH only 1 or 2 have ever asked in over 25 years.
jenboo 07:58 PM 10-25-2018
Yes but rarely has anyone asked.
storybookending 08:56 PM 10-25-2018
My SIL comes in to pick up her kid and uses my bathroom without asking but I don’t ask when I’m at their house either. Heck the first summer I opened girl went inside while we were playing in the backyard and took a pregnancy test To say her and I are close is a bit of an understatement though.

I’ve never had another parent ask. Most parents don’t make it past my entryway. I don’t have a bathroom right by the door or anything. I did have an older sibling come in and need to use the bathroom once while picking up her brother. Of course I let her.
e.j. 09:20 PM 10-25-2018
I would allow anyone visiting my home to use my bathroom if they need to. I'd feel uncomfortable saying no to someone who asked to use it. Just curious....Is there a reason you're asking?
Pandaluver21 10:00 PM 10-25-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I would allow anyone visiting my home to use my bathroom if they need to. I'd feel uncomfortable saying no to someone who asked to use it. Just curious....Is there a reason you're asking?
I didn't have any issue with this for several years, either nobody asked or it wasn't a big deal. However, I had a family a few years back that every time her uncle came with her (which was pretty often) to pick up, he would ask to use the bathroom. He made me kind of uneasy any way, but it just was awkward to do every time. Plus it made for a very long, very disruptive pick up.

As for walkthroughs, I feel like parents (only lately) have been using it as a way to see more of my home than I am wiling to show. Not that I have a problem showing the bathroom, but it is at the opposite side of my home from the main area and parents use this opportunity to look into any area they can on their way there.

Like I said, this wasn't an issue for MANY years, but recently it seems to be.
DaveA 05:10 AM 10-26-2018
The only people who ever asked have been siblings of enrollees and a DCM while she was pregnant. I said OK.
Cat Herder 05:51 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Yes and yes.
Same.
Gemma 06:01 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:

1) Do you allow prospective clients (kids and/or adults) to use your restroom during a walkthrough?

Yes and yes!
Snowmom 06:20 AM 10-26-2018
1- Yes, definitely. That's when the daycare bathroom is probably the cleanest of the week anyway!
2- Yes. I have a guest 1/2 bath right by the entrance, so it wouldn't bother me. But if it became a habit, I might say something.
Kimskiddos 06:50 AM 10-26-2018
Yes and yes here too.

But I did have a Dcd that would ask to use the bathroom couple times a week. That got old VERY quick. Of course he was an immature piece of work so that probably worked against him too.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
1- Yes, definitely. That's when the daycare bathroom is probably the cleanest of the week anyway!
2- Yes. I have a guest 1/2 bath right by the entrance, so it wouldn't bother me. But if it became a habit, I might say something.
This....

I had a family bring someone with almost daily and atleast 3 out of 5 pick ups, a request to use the bathroom occurred.

I didn't and don't mind occasional use when necessary but in order for someone to get to my bathroom, they have to walk through 2 rooms and if it's not a parent or child the DCK's know, I don't like that. Like I said, once in a while is fine...regularly and I'd probably have to talk with them about it.
Indoorvoice 07:32 AM 10-26-2018
Yes I would for both, but at pick ups I try to scoot them out the door and have the kid mostly ready so there isn't much of a chance to ask. I just find it to be disruptive at pick up time. Also, I have a dad that frequently asks for water or to wash his hands at drop off and I think it's to try to get in my kitchen. I don't have anything to hide and you can see most of it from the entry anyway, but I just don't need him in my kitchen. So I tell him I'll grab him some water and hand him a disposable cup so he doesn't have to stand there and drink it or I bring him sanitizer.
Cat Herder 07:35 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Yes I would for both, but at pick ups I try to scoot them out the door and have the kid mostly ready so there isn't much of a chance to ask. I just find it to be disruptive at pick up time. Also, I have a dad that frequently asks for water or to wash his hands at drop off and I think it's to try to get in my kitchen. I don't have anything to hide and you can see most of it from the entry anyway, but I just don't need him in my kitchen. So I tell him I'll grab him some water and hand him a disposable cup so he doesn't have to stand there and drink it or I bring him sanitizer.
I had one of those. It was not about seeing my kitchen. His game was intended to lead to another room. Be careful with this one.
Pandaluver21 09:19 AM 10-26-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I don't think it would bother me as much if we had more than one bathroom, but we have just the one and they have to go through the house to get to it. Infrequent isn't a huge deal, just when it becomes a habit...

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This....

I had a family bring someone with almost daily and atleast 3 out of 5 pick ups, a request to use the bathroom occurred.

I didn't and don't mind occasional use when necessary but in order for someone to get to my bathroom, they have to walk through 2 rooms and if it's not a parent or child the DCK's know, I don't like that. Like I said, once in a while is fine...regularly and I'd probably have to talk with them about it.
This exactly. It is when it becomes often that ti bothers me, or when people I don't know as well (like at interviews or people who bring an "extra" to pick up) want to walk through my house. Honestly if it was a parent I knew well once in a while, I wouldn't care at all!
Hunni Bee 09:46 AM 10-26-2018
What on earth? Why would you need to ask for water while picking up your child from daycare?? You can't deal with being thirsty for a few minutes til you get home? Or learn to carry water with you? That really creeps me out.
e.j. 11:16 AM 10-26-2018
I didn't have any issue with this for several years, either nobody asked or it wasn't a big deal. However, I had a family a few years back that every time her uncle came with her (which was pretty often) to pick up, he would ask to use the bathroom. He made me kind of uneasy any way, but it just was awkward to do every time. Plus it made for a very long, very disruptive pick up.

As for walkthroughs, I feel like parents (only lately) have been using it as a way to see more of my home than I am wiling to show. Not that I have a problem showing the bathroom, but it is at the opposite side of my home from the main area and parents use this opportunity to look into any area they can on their way there.

Like I said, this wasn't an issue for MANY years, but recently it seems to be.
My downstairs bathroom is right off the kitchen, near the door that leads outside. (When the house was built, it was a pantry but converted to a 1/2 bath years later.) It doesn't bother me to allow people to use it because they don't have to traipse through my house to get to it. It would definitely bother me if it were located in a different area of the house that was more private. In your case, I think I would have had to talk with the dc parent(s) and just tell them that pick ups were becoming too disruptive and ask that the creepy uncle wait in the car. Ick.
Jupadia 11:23 AM 10-26-2018
As a smaller bladder person I totally get having to use the washroom and would not love it if I was told no I could not do so. I've let parents and siblings use the washroom in the past and would again. But am not asked often so it's not a problem. As well the washroom is off the downstairs kitchen so the parents are right beside it when dressing their kids to go.
littlefriends 11:41 AM 10-26-2018
Oh man, that’s weird and creepy!! I keep hand sanitizer on my sign in table and as for the water I’d give him a firm, confident “nope”. Asking to use the restroom occasionally is one thing but asking you for a glass of water?! What?? No.
hwichlaz 12:04 PM 10-26-2018
Absolutely, but they'd have to remove their shoes to make it onto my carpet. This tends to discourage it a bit.
MomBoss 12:16 PM 10-26-2018
I say yes. But i think its weird that they didnt go to the bathroom before leaving work and.. they cant wait til they get home?
I have a very small bladder and never leave the house without using the bathroom twice. I literally go, stand up, and then sit down again lol
Pandaluver21 01:16 PM 10-27-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My downstairs bathroom is right off the kitchen, near the door that leads outside. (When the house was built, it was a pantry but converted to a 1/2 bath years later.) It doesn't bother me to allow people to use it because they don't have to traipse through my house to get to it. It would definitely bother me if it were located in a different area of the house that was more private. In your case, I think I would have had to talk with the dc parent(s) and just tell them that pick ups were becoming too disruptive and ask that the creepy uncle wait in the car. Ick.
Creepy indeed! Creepy aunt came to pick up one time, had no car seat for the not yet 2yr old. I went into the garage to grab a spare for her and she took off with him!

Originally Posted by Jupadia:
As a smaller bladder person I totally get having to use the washroom and would not love it if I was told no I could not do so. I've let parents and siblings use the washroom in the past and would again. But am not asked often so it's not a problem. As well the washroom is off the downstairs kitchen so the parents are right beside it when dressing their kids to go.
There are many businesses that do not allow customers to use the bathroom, or only to "paying customers"

Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Absolutely, but they'd have to remove their shoes to make it onto my carpet. This tends to discourage it a bit.
We also require that shoes be removed, but rarely do the adults actually follow it

Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I say yes. But i think its weird that they didnt go to the bathroom before leaving work and.. they cant wait til they get home?
I have a very small bladder and never leave the house without using the bathroom twice. I literally go, stand up, and then sit down again lol
Which is why I think it was more a way to see things that are private, or to prolong pickup for whatever reason
Meeko 02:21 PM 10-27-2018
I think it's perfectly alright NOT to have a public bathroom.
LysesKids 04:14 PM 10-27-2018

1) Do you allow prospective clients (kids and/or adults) to use your restroom during a walkthrough? NO and NO ...had a prospective steal meds and expensive essential oils from the cabinet twice; I get sometimes families bring siblings that won't attend, but if they can't go before hand or wait 30 min, then it sucks for them

On a rare occasion (like a preggo mom); if it's every few days, I would ask they pee before pick up, otherwise I think snooping
Unregistered 07:46 PM 10-27-2018
Gonna be a hard NO. What if a kid's dad was going #2 right where other people were going and out?!? 🧐
LysesKids 04:41 PM 10-29-2018

Nope, not anymore... had a prospective parent walk off with stuff from my bathroom (essential oils I used to make soap & some jewelry); I have turned down parents that brought siblings that wouldn't be attending. Pissed some off, but I explained that I am not a public restroom unless you are an actual client.
Pandaluver21 04:45 PM 10-29-2018
Ok, for those that said they do NOT allow it, specifically at a walkthrough. How do you word it to say no, or do you have a sign or anything?
Tags:bathroom - limiting usage, bathroom - proceedures, toilet policy
Reply Up