Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training
VAmomof4 08:58 AM 10-11-2018
I have a 2 1/2 year old that has been potty training since August. She will only pee on the potty when I bring her to sit on the potty. She will not say she needs to go. I have made several attempts to have her tell me when she needs to go but no luck. I've expressed to the mom that I don't feel she's ready yet because she won't tell us when she needs to go and also because she is not bothered by having a dirty pull up. Mom still wants her to be brought back to sit on the potty. At this point I want to tell her I'm going to stop bringing her back and revisit at a later date.

Thoughts?
Mike 09:25 AM 10-11-2018
She's not ready. The mom might be, but the child isn't.
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by Mike:
She's not ready. The mom might be, but the child isn't.
Yep. What he said ^^^
Ariana 10:24 AM 10-11-2018
In group care, bringing one child to the potty at regular intervals hoping they will pee is just not feasible. The child has learned to release in the toilet but not HOLD it which is the most important part of potty training.
Meeko 10:29 AM 10-11-2018
The child has learned that it is somebody else's responsibility to take her to the potty.
I tell parents we don't do that. I have 16 kids. I would spend all day in the bathroom if I did that. Kids are not considered potty trained until they have been clean and dry for two full weeks with NO prompting from us.
Unregistered 10:36 AM 10-11-2018
I make it very clear in my contract that I do not potty train. That is the parents' responsibility.
Once the child is potty trained at home, then I will assist and support the child at daycare.
I currently have a dcm now whose 2.5 yo boy is not even close to being potty trained. He never has shown an interest in it here, never tells me when he has to go, nothing. She keeps sending him in pull-ups insisting he is ready. She asked me yesterday if I put him in pull-ups all day, I told her no. I put him in a diaper because he has shown no interest in potty training here.

I think the parents expect us to "parent" for them, sometimes.
sharlan 02:57 PM 10-11-2018
I've got one that I had in panties for 5 weeks. She went on her own, asking for help to pull up her panties. Due to mom's laziness, shes back in pull-ups not even using the potty.

I dont understand.
Mike 04:03 PM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've got one that I had in panties for 5 weeks. She went on her own, asking for help to pull up her panties. Due to mom's laziness, shes back in pull-ups not even using the potty.

I dont understand.
That

I know of a case a mom had some help with her kids when the youngest was 3. She was late potty training but the mom was lazy. Another person started helping, but ended up leaving, and shortly after that, the girl was back in pullups. She was still wearing them at night several years later.

Parenting is a full time job, but too many parents prefer to just sit back, relax, and just watch their kids magically grow up.

If the mom is too lazy to help her daughter learn, there will be a delay. Have to wait until kids are ready, but when they are ready, parents have to be also.
Tags:potty trained - not, toilet policy
Reply Up