Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Turkey Or Chicken Pot Pie
broncomom1973 07:40 AM 12-10-2010
I made this yesterday and it was so good. I used to make a similar pot pie with biscuits on top.

I froze my leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and defrosted a portion of it yesterday to use in this recipe. In the past I have also used diced up chicken.

I diced up about 1/2 onion and sauteed it in butter with some celery flakes (didnt have any fresh celery). After the onion softened, I added in a can of cream of chicken soup and some milk, probably 1/2-3/4 cup before it was all said and done. I thawed out some frozen mixed vegetables (doesnt hurt to cook them before hand then you dont have to bake the pot-pie as long) and poured them into the soup mixture and then I tore up the turkey meat into bite sized pieces and added it to the soup also. I didnt have time to boil potatoes, so I used a can of sliced potatoes and further cut them into pieces and added that to the soup mixture. As far as the milk, I didnt measure it but added to the point that it wasnt too thick. I poured it into a greased round dish and placed a thawed pie crust on top of it and baked it at 350 degrees until the crust was done. It was super yummy!
Candyland 04:22 PM 12-13-2010
I love both kinds of pot pie! Esp after Thanksgiving, I have to make at least one turkey pot pie. Mmmmm good!
GretasLittleFriends 05:17 AM 12-22-2010
I made this last weekend and the one thing i should have added were some spices/seasonings. Other than that it was DELICIOUS!!! Thank you for the recipe idea. This is going in my mental notes of yummy foods.
KEG123 07:59 AM 01-04-2011
I've never made a pot pie but I love them and haven't had one for a LONG time! I can't even remember the last one I had.... definitely off to google to see other variations of pot pies.
countrymom 06:11 AM 01-05-2011
acually thats what I'm making today, except instead of putting any potatoes in it, I'm putting stove top stuffing on top.
kitkat 06:25 AM 01-06-2011
I will admit upfront that I'm one of those people who need to follow a recipe exactly. With that said, I just want to double check that I understand...you only use one pie crust and that's on top, right? You don't use one for the bottom. Would it turn out ok if there was one on the bottom? I love pot pies, have never made one, and this recipe seems soooo easy! I can't wait to try it.
broncomom1973 09:50 AM 01-09-2011
You could put a pie crust on the bottom too. I found this link to a pot pie with a top and bottom crust. http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chicke...ix/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
  2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
  3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
  4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Tags:chicken, pot pie, recipe, turkey
Reply Up