Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper changing question
kendallina 09:07 AM 07-29-2010
Hi! I'm new to this forum and am excited to learn and share a lot.

What do you use for your diaper changing station? Specifically, I'm interested in how to you make sure the area is clean for each child? If I remember correctly, when I was doing center-based toddler care we had a sheet of paper that changed each child on and then threw away. I feel like it's a little wasteful to go through all those sheets of paper and also kind of cold and impersonal (does that make sense?) Is it okay to just sanitize a rubber-y kind of thing? What do you do?

Thanks
Katy

BTW, I hope that this doesn't post twice, I tried posting this yesterday and it hasn't shown up yet, so I am trying to repost.
DCMom 09:35 AM 07-29-2010
I have a wall mounted commercial style changer. I just mist it with the bleach solution after each change.
MommyMuffin 09:45 AM 07-29-2010
Where did you get it from?
boysx5 10:54 AM 07-29-2010
I use a changing pad and use wax paper and then I bleach it after each use I also buy the disposable ones from Huggies to use if we are going to the park and just throw them away
emosks 10:59 AM 07-29-2010
We have just a regular changing pad with no cover on it. We use a Clorox wipe after each use and spray with Clorox Anywhere Spray at night.
swaddlebees 11:31 AM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
We have just a regular changing pad with no cover on it. We use a Clorox wipe after each use and spray with Clorox Anywhere Spray at night.
.....That^
gkids09 11:34 AM 07-29-2010
I actually have a dresser that used to be my great grandmothers. The drawers are great storage for diapers and that sort of thing. We have a foam pad that is covered in vinyl (I think that's what it is anyway), and we wash it with soap and water, and then sanitize it with bleach/water after every change.
kendallina 11:41 AM 07-29-2010
That's a good idea...I definitely need something cheap, as I will only have children in my care for 3 hrs/day and it's just not worth spending lots of money on something.

We just never used a changing table or anything with my daughter... thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming.
momofsix 12:39 PM 07-29-2010
I have a soft plastic type changing pad on a dresser. according to MI law, the changing pad must be on something that can be sanitized-no towel on couch type of thing. Also we need to have a 3-step sanitization process after EACH diaper change. I have 3 spray bottles right on my changing table
1. wash with soapy water
2. rinse with plain water
3. spray with bleach water and let air dry
emosks 01:16 PM 07-29-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I have a soft plastic type changing pad on a dresser. according to MI law, the changing pad must be on something that can be sanitized-no towel on couch type of thing. Also we need to have a 3-step sanitization process after EACH diaper change. I have 3 spray bottles right on my changing table
1. wash with soapy water
2. rinse with plain water
3. spray with bleach water and let air dry
My consultant is fine with our technique. Got to love the state and their "interpretation" of the law!!
Crystal 01:24 PM 07-29-2010
I use a nap mat on the floor. I like the way it folds up and fits along side the sink in the half bath that I use for the dck. I wipe it down with a baby wipe and then sanitize with bleach solution after each use.
momofsix 01:53 PM 07-29-2010
My consultant is fine with our technique. Got to love the state and their "interpretation" of the law!!
Isn't that the truth! i have w sisters that live within half on hour of me, different consultants, and all 3 of us do a LOT of things differently, all told by our consultatns!
Your way sounds so much easier, I have to make up the new cleaning bottles every day.
Abigail 02:14 PM 07-29-2010
Where I work, they have a contoured changing pad on a basic changing table. It has two shelves with very little if anything at all on the shelves to prevent kids from throwing it on the ground while in the bathroom. It also has a small drawer which I think is handy. They have extra wipes and a few baby products in there. They also have a shelf on the floor with 16 separate cubbies for each child's extra clothes, diapers, etc. On the top of the shelf unit is the actual box of wet wipes. Then in the corner next to the changing station is the diaper champ. Gloves and two spray bottles for cleaning with paper towels are nearby. Soapy water, then bleach.

Years ago, I use to volunteer at a different daycare and she had one bathroom for the children and had a contoured changing pad she would lay on the floor. The bathroom was small so she had a shelf up high in the sleeping/dramatic play room with each child's items in it and just brought what she needed into the bathroom for changing time. She also had a kitchen paper towel holder hung on the wall in the bathroom for the kids to dry their hands on. Very good use of space for a small room I thought! You should have seen how organized her kitchen/craft area was! wow.
Tags:diaper
Reply Up