Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Both Grandma And Daycare Provider?
momofsix 08:11 AM 02-01-2013
I know I'm worrying way ahead of time (I won't be a grandma for a while yet, I'm afraid) but another thread got me thinking.
ALL of my girls are expecting me to watch their children for them when they have them. ("expecting" sounds rude, but it's what they're planning/hoping for.)
I want to be a Grandma-a role that is in my mind soooo different than a daycare provider. How do you make your grandchildren "special" when they're just one of many kids that come to your house? I'm just worried that the bond I want to have with my grandchildren won't be what I'm hoping for if I'm their dc-provider?
Maybe I'm worrying about nothing too. Obviously I was able to raise my daughters in my daycare and they have a bond different than the dc kids-but it's just something I've been thinking about.
MyAngels 08:27 AM 02-01-2013
I think about that, too. My grand baby is 9 months old now and the only infant here so it's easy for us to have that special bond now. As she gets older it might be different. I just plan on doing everything I can to make it happen . I did make her her own room here, complete with her own crib and toys, so maybe that will help.

It makes me happy every day knowing that I get to be a big part of her life .
cheerfuldom 09:52 AM 02-01-2013
I think you will figure out it. but a major plus is for your to be able to make sure that their baby is the only younger one at the time when they are born. the more you overload yourself with kids/work, the less time you will have to get that bond with your grandchild.

also, have you discussed with them if you are willing to work for free or not? its only fair they know your expectations since they may be planning kids down the road based on what they think you will do, which might not match with what you are willing to do.
sharlan 09:53 AM 02-01-2013
I've watched all four of my grandkids from day one. Daycare, they are treated just like all the other kids. Or should I say all the other kids are treated just like them.

Grandma time is special time. They know the difference.
mrsnj 10:16 AM 02-01-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've watched all four of my grandkids from day one. Daycare, they are treated just like all the other kids. Or should I say all the other kids are treated just like them.

Grandma time is special time. They know the difference.
. Exactly. It is the same as your own kids
rmc20021 11:23 AM 02-01-2013
I wouldn't worry too much about it...but I will let you in on what I discovered years later after my own children were adults.
This is my second time around at having daycare. The first time my own kids were part of the daycare and I HONESTLY never felt I treated any of the kids any differently.

I WAS WRONG!!!! But I didn't realize it until years later.

I had an old video of my daycare I had come across and watched it...OH my gosh, my daughter was a brat!!!

I didn't see it at the time, but now I do. She was bossy and pushy. I don't know how I missed it then...but obviously I did.

As long as your daughters are willing to pay you what you expect (this is your income) then I would sooooo be happy to have my grandkids at my daycare. It's extra time you get to spend with them, knowing what kind of care they will receive.

I have 9 grandkids and they are either too old for daycare now, or live to far away...what I'd give to have them near enough to see them every day. You will still create a special bond with them even if you don't spend any other tiime with them aside from daycare.
Starburst 08:29 PM 02-01-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Also, have you discussed with them if you are willing to work for free or not? its only fair they know your expectations since they may be planning kids down the road based on what they think you will do, which might not match with what you are willing to do.
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
As long as your daughters are willing to pay you what you expect (this is your income) then I would sooooo be happy to have my grandkids at my daycare. It's extra time you get to spend with them, knowing what kind of care they will receive.
If you do this, you should let them know now so they don't just come to you one day and think "Oh, my mom will give me free daycare!" I would probably give them a bit of a discount but since it is your business you want to make sure that they know you will not let them get away with breaking your rules.

One of my college instructors used to do home daycare and one of her daughters was in high school when she had her first baby and because she and the baby did live at home she did just watch him; but her daughter also helped her out after school. And now she is the director of my college's preschool/daycare program and her daughter had another son who is in the program and the director lets her know that she has to pay the same amount of money and follow the same rules as everyone else. The provider I used to work told her daughter when she was having a baby that she would give her discount but is still expected to pay to keep the spot open when her baby is in daycare (her daughter is also her assistant so she might just take it out of her pay).

But as far as making your grandkids feel special I wouldn't focus too much on it because they also have to remember that should follow similar rules to all the daycare kids or else the other kids will tell their parents that you favor that one kid and their parents may understand but some may get upset- because they expect you to treat them like one of your own. That provider I used to work for actually sent her kids to another home daycare/preschool when they were younger because she didn't want them to get jealous of the other daycare kids (she started her daycare before she had kids).
Tags:provider children, provider children - grown up
Reply Up