Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Forms - Uploads

Forms - Uploads Sample forms that members upload so that others can use. Note: Please do not upload copyrighted material. Original Content only.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Interview Questions

Hello Everyone!

I am new to family child care as I just opened two weeks ago. I felt a bit unsure about the interview process as I was new to it all. Does anyone have something written out they wouldn't mind to share. I didn't want to fumble through the next one. I wanted to be more secure and in control of the interview process. While the interview did result in an enrolled child, I know it could have been better.

Thanks!!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Here are several other threads about interview questions

http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?ta...ew+-+checklist
Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you!!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletotslearningspot View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am new to family child care as I just opened two weeks ago. I felt a bit unsure about the interview process as I was new to it all. Does anyone have something written out they wouldn't mind to share. I didn't want to fumble through the next one. I wanted to be more secure and in control of the interview process. While the interview did result in an enrolled child, I know it could have been better.

Thanks!!
What I did (retired now) was welcome them at the door and ask them if they wanted to take a quick tour before we sat down to discuss everything. That seems to break the ice a little. We look around and do small talk.

When we sit down, I give them a copy of the contract which includes my rules. I don't do a handbook. I also have a copy in my hand and I briefly touch on each thing and ask if they have any questions. By doing this, it insures that I don't skip anything I wanted to tell them because the contract acts as a guideline. They follow along in their contract. My contract was 2 and a half pages with just the most basic important things.

Then I handed them a photo envelope with about 20 pictures in it (which you can't do now as you are just starting). Since mine was a play program I started doing this to show them that we just didn't sit around and watch t.v. all day. I included pictures of them doing art work, counting and word activities, reading with me and alone, cooking, puzzles and outdoor activities, etc. They seem to really enjoy the pictures of happy children.

If it is an infant I ask if I can hold them. They like that. Then I tell them that if they have any questions they can call me.

Laurel
Old 09-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you!!!
Old 11-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I greet them at the door and tell them I am going to show them around and to please ask questions as we go. This process informs me what I may have to go over in more detail when we sit down after to go over the contract and handbook. For instance, if they ask about money a lot...I know to go over my payment policies extra well. If they ask a lot about "special", I make sure we go over routine and GROUP care when we sit down.

Most important of all......I do not allow the parents to feel they are interviewing me for a job. I am not a nanny. I am running a business. That business runs according to MY schedule and MY rules. They are merely looking around to see if they think it would work for them. If they are interested, they may apply for a spot. I will then decide whether or not to accept the child.

I was so much happier in this job, when I learned that I do not HAVE to make my clients happy in all things. They can purchase my services or not.