Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bullying
Unregistered 06:23 AM 09-04-2016
Another thread got me thinking. What do you do when a child is bullying another child. Always targeting one child? Also, do tell both parents of these issues?
laundrymom 07:11 AM 09-04-2016
I handle all discipline issues in house.
If they can't play together, in my program, they don't play.
Mine is not a democracy.
I am law.

I'm old school.

It's not popular today. But maybe it should be. I'm all for respecting each other and offering opportunities for self expression and behavior but the kids in my program must be kind to everyone in my program.
debbiedoeszip 11:59 AM 09-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Another thread got me thinking. What do you do when a child is bullying another child. Always targeting one child? Also, do tell both parents of these issues?
I would not allow one child to harass another child. Whatever discipline measures you use, I would use them in this situation. I think that I would have a conversation with both sets of parents and let them know that you are handling it. As a child, I was harassed quite a bit by mean kids and it's stayed with me to this day. It's an insidious problem with far-reaching damage. I have zero tolerance for it.
TwinMama 06:45 PM 09-05-2016
The second it starts I put a stop to it. I will even make the bully sit out and watch the others play. That usually puts a stop to it.

If I see that it's not so much bullying but kids being excluded I will start an activity that includes everyone.

I understand that at some point they need to figure it out themselves, but when they're so young they need to learn to be good to one another.
Tags:escalation, terminate - inappropriate behavior
Reply Up