Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>I'm Sick Of Pete Suggestions..
flying_babyb 10:54 PM 04-30-2017
suggestions for a rhyming book like pete or llama? I cant read them anymore. we read pete 4 or 5 times a day! Llama almost as often!
Leigh 10:59 PM 04-30-2017
Do you have "Is Your Mama a Llama?"?
flying_babyb 11:33 PM 04-30-2017
No, would that for 1-2 year olds? My kids have a decent attention span (they sit for Llamma Llama mad at momma, pete the cat and petes groovy buttons) at one time and beg for more
Josiegirl 02:34 AM 05-01-2017
Brown Bear, Brown Bear has always been a fav for that age group! Polar Bear one too.
Leigh 06:21 AM 05-01-2017
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
No, would that for 1-2 year olds? My kids have a decent attention span (they sit for Llamma Llama mad at momma, pete the cat and petes groovy buttons) at one time and beg for more
It would be appropriate for 1-5-ish? My kids still love it at age 5. For the younger ones, Yawn is a good rhyming book ( https://www.amazon.com/Yawn-Sally-Symes/dp/0763657255).
Josiegirl 10:03 AM 05-01-2017
We read Time For Bed by Mem Fox today. That's very sweet with beautiful pictures and rhymes.
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 05-01-2017
suggestions for a rhyming book like pete or llama? I cant read them anymore. we read pete 4 or 5 times a day! Llama almost as often!
While you may not want to read the same books over and over, there IS a developmental reason the kids want the same book over and over.

Reading a favorite book for the one hundredth time will actually help your child relate what he hears to the words and letters on the page. These are the beginning steps for many developmental milestones.

Children aren't equipped to "follow a story" like adults do. They have to piece together not only the environment (setting) but each character's role and place in the story.

They aren't yet able to follow too many sequences at one time and instead follow parts and pieces of the story EVERY TIME it's read and only AFTER the 1000'th time they've heard it do they begin to put the pieces together.

Instead of switching books I'd start changing up HOW you read the story. Ask the kids to "guess" what happens next. Skip a sentence or action and ask the kids what's different this time compared to the last time you read the book. After it's over, ask the questions such as what color Pete's groovy glasses were or what did Mama Llama say when baby Llama didn't want to got to bed..... etc...

Simply through exposure to print, older toddlers may begin to recognize very familiar signs, labels, and names. As you are reading let's say there is a stop sign in the story.... take a minute and point out the stop sign and say, “Look, it’s a stop sign. Cars have to stop. The sign says STOP!” Pretty soon, the children will recognize the sign and the word. Pointing out signs and other ways writing is used in the environment will help the kids begin to develop an understanding of the use of print and build a foundation for reading.

A story is SOOOOOO much more than the pictures on the page or even the story itself.
Mike 04:00 PM 05-01-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While you may not want to read the same books over and over, there IS a developmental reason the kids want the same book over and over.

Reading a favorite book for the one hundredth time will actually help your child relate what he hears to the words and letters on the page. These are the beginning steps for many developmental milestones.

Children aren't equipped to "follow a story" like adults do. They have to piece together not only the environment (setting) but each character's role and place in the story.

They aren't yet able to follow too many sequences at one time and instead follow parts and pieces of the story EVERY TIME it's read and only AFTER the 1000'th time they've heard it do they begin to put the pieces together.

Instead of switching books I'd start changing up HOW you read the story. Ask the kids to "guess" what happens next. Skip a sentence or action and ask the kids what's different this time compared to the last time you read the book. After it's over, ask the questions such as what color Pete's groovy glasses were or what did Mama Llama say when baby Llama didn't want to got to bed..... etc...

Simply through exposure to print, older toddlers may begin to recognize very familiar signs, labels, and names. As you are reading let's say there is a stop sign in the story.... take a minute and point out the stop sign and say, “Look, it’s a stop sign. Cars have to stop. The sign says STOP!” Pretty soon, the children will recognize the sign and the word. Pointing out signs and other ways writing is used in the environment will help the kids begin to develop an understanding of the use of print and build a foundation for reading.

A story is SOOOOOO much more than the pictures on the page or even the story itself.

That's what I've done with tutoring little kids. I'd use a story they like and have them help me read it and ask them questions about it as we go. They love being a part of the reading.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 11:08 PM 05-01-2017
You're just reading them wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtHeo7oMSU
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 05-02-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
You're just reading them wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtHeo7oMSU
That's awesome!
flying_babyb 01:03 AM 05-03-2017
totally aswome! I do the rap version of Mary had a little lamb often. I dont mind reading the same stories a million times but gosh I would LOVE to read something new (or get them hooked into a new book series). I dream of Llamma's chasing shoes and letters that are running up the coconut tree
Reply Up