Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Posts that have made a difference for you?
Luna 04:05 AM 08-07-2014
There have been a couple of posts that have made a real difference in the way I do things and I'm sure this is true for everyone.
For me, a post by Tdhmom referring to Cosmic Kids Yoga on youtube has been a huge help while I'm preparing lunch. Instead of turning on cartoons, or having dcks underfoot asking if lunch is ready yet, they are happily following Jamie...crouching, stretching, twisting. They are totally focused. It is amazing. Thanks a million, Tdhmom!
A post by Nannyde showed me how to handle a little one who wants to fight a diaper change. What a sanity-saver! I never would have worked out that particular technique on my own, so thank you Nannyde!
I'd love to know of posts that have made a difference for others, too.
midaycare 04:17 AM 08-07-2014
I had a girl with severe allergies and I had not dealt much with allergies, so that helped me a lot. I ended up having to term her because of the risk.

Also, the posts that talk about how to save money or products that people use - those are very helpful to me
sugar buzz 04:57 AM 08-07-2014
Buh-Bye Outside was the best thing that ever happened to my daycare. It opened my eyes to what was really going on and why my situation always felt so icky. I had been enabling the most self-indulgent behavior. (The worst offender even stuck her foot in my door to force her way back in, as her son was running down the sidewalk, when I first started practicing it.) Pick-ups and drop-offs were always such a huge deal, and now, their child was adjusted and happy--so, why weren't they?
Meyou 04:59 AM 08-07-2014
I can't think of a specific post but I do know I was a hot mess when I joined this forum. I have learned to have a thriving business totally on my terms where I am payed well and actually love my job. I've learned how to interview, how to write a no loophole handbook and contract and how to enforce my policies (and not feel guilty about it!).

I've also learned how to redirect to the point where I have very few timeouts, manage my space for a happy environment and my life saver.....making a decision, marking two weeks on my calendar and seeing the two weeks through before reevaluating my position. That more than anything else helps me on a daily basis.
KiddieCahoots 08:12 AM 08-07-2014
I'm a perfectionist, and am harder on myself than need be.

I've learned to relax a bit, just by being able to relate to everybody with their similar stories. And can now better figure out where I should be concerned, if it's something I, myself am making too big of a deal about, or if the dcp's are using my perfectionist nature against me.

What speaks volumes to me is the straight talk that Nannyde and BC use.
The logic is so simply put, sometimes I'm left wondering how come I couldn't see it so clearly beforehand, lol!
Luna 08:25 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
Buh-Bye Outside was the best thing that ever happened to my daycare. It opened my eyes to what was really going on and why my situation always felt so icky. I had been enabling the most self-indulgent behavior. (The worst offender even stuck her foot in my door to force her way back in, as her son was running down the sidewalk, when I first started practicing it.) Pick-ups and drop-offs were always such a huge deal, and now, their child was adjusted and happy--so, why weren't they?
I have to agree with this too. I haven't had to use it but when I've brought it up as an option, behaviour problems at the door magically disappeared!
AmyKidsCo 08:51 AM 08-07-2014
I can't think of a specific post either, but there have been quite a few I've learned something from. Most of them are ones that never got posted – I'd start to type something out and as I was typing an answer would come to me.

The thing I love best about this forum, besides all the support, is the variety of situations and all the ideas I get from everyone else. Even if I don't agree I enjoy reading a different perspective.
Kabob 09:33 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I can't think of a specific post either, but there have been quite a few I've learned something from. Most of them are ones that never got posted – I'd start to type something out and as I was typing an answer would come to me.

The thing I love best about this forum, besides all the support, is the variety of situations and all the ideas I get from everyone else. Even if I don't agree I enjoy reading a different perspective.

I learned a lot about different policies and implemented a lot of policies before I had to learn the hard way. Some I implemented after I came on here looking for ideas.

I also learn a lot from people with different perspectives...even if I don't agree, it helps me see how others think which has helped me grow as a daycare provider.

Even when I feel like I've completely messed up, I've received the feedback I needed to pick myself up and make sure I don't make the same mistake again.
Naptime yet? 09:34 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

I agree. There has been so much I've learned since I've joined, and although all the advice doesn't fit my situation, I can't imagine where I'd be (ie NO BACKBONE) if I hadn't stumbled upon this forum.

And I also like the straight talk from the more experienced members, too (like Kiddie said), it's like a refreshing slap-in-the-face for me as I tend to be wishy-washy.
Play Care 09:49 AM 08-07-2014
There have been quite a few posts here that have made me rethink things or make changes.
Cat Herder 03:33 PM 08-07-2014
Most relevant back in the day: Daycare is not a charity.

Most entertaining: Joann's Fabrics
Sunchimes 06:02 PM 08-07-2014
When I joined, I had no handbook and no contract. I had 2 goofy families, and I never could be sure from one week to the next whether I was going to get paid for services already rendered! Then I found this place and in short order, I had a handbook and a contract. Yea!! Then I realized that I wasn't running my dc the way the rest of you were, with schedules and plans and all sorts of formal stuff. So, I tightened up and started running a tight ship. Since I'm legally unlicensed, I hadn't been made to by licensing. I was miserable. Completely miserably. I've been self-employed (not in daycare) since 1980, and being regimented just didn't fit at all. Then, I figured out (from reading archives mostly) that it was ok to do it my way. I lightened up and went back to my "day at grandma's" style, and I've been happy ever since.

So, that's 3 instances, even though I can't name a specific post. I learned how to deal with biters, late potty trainers, and several other things here, so that I didn't have to figure it out the hard way.

Basically, I agree with most of what I read here, pick out the parts that work for me, and I learned that it was ok to do that from this forum!
hope 06:22 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Most relevant back in the day: Daycare is not a charity.

Most entertaining: Joann's Fabrics
Now I have dome research to do!!!! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up!
CedarCreek 06:33 AM 08-08-2014
For SURE Bye-Bye Outside. It was a saving grace for my program!
Tags:buh-bye outside, daycare is not a charity, master teacher permit, preschool
Reply Up