Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Frustrated
TwinMama 01:34 PM 11-17-2014
I know I'm still new at this and I've only just begun to sell myself and get the word out, but....I'm feeling a bit discouraged with only two dead end email responses.

Plus...the longer I'm at work....the more and more I don't want to be here, and I want to get the daycare started.

Just venting and being a big whiner. Sorry....
grandmom 01:49 PM 11-17-2014
It takes a long time. Just be patient. Tell everyone you know that your are in business. And be patient.
AuntTami 02:05 PM 11-17-2014
I've been open since august with only one full time family and 2 part time families. I'm getting frustrated and discouraged as well, however, I just keep plugging along. I tell EVERYONE I have daycare! I talk about it all the time, at the grocery store, gas station, salon, walmart, everywhere! Keep with it. It'll happen!
Thriftylady 03:07 PM 11-17-2014
I so feel you. I opened in early August and still have no families. I had one but had to term after the first week because mom decided should couldn't afford me. UM she knew that when she signed the contract lol.
daycare 03:17 PM 11-17-2014
this!! tell anyone who will listen! Advertise... put your information out on google ads, make a website, facebook, etc.

volunteer out in your community and get to know people, but mostly get people to know who you are and what you do.

Take classes and get to know people in the industry.

Find mothers clubs and give them all of your information

offer promotions.

Don't worry.....it always starts off slow, which is fine. If everyone ran in the door at once, you would be having a totally different set of problems.

Patience truly is a virtue in this business
Heidi 05:18 PM 11-17-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I've been open since august with only one full time family and 2 part time families. I'm getting frustrated and discouraged as well, however, I just keep plugging along. I tell EVERYONE I have daycare! I talk about it all the time, at the grocery store, gas station, salon, walmart, everywhere! Keep with it. It'll happen!
If you live in larger city, being licensed or certified and getting on the R&R referral list is very helpful. I used to get almost all my clients either through the R&R or word-of-mouth referrals from other providers or parents.

If you have a couple clients already, you could offer some incentive: $50 off a week's tuition if they refer someone and that person signs a contract and pays their deposit. Or, put it out on FB. A referral (with those conditions) earns you $50 (and they can refer themselves if they need care).
hope 05:32 PM 11-17-2014
I offered drop in days when my numbers were really low. Advertise as normal but include drop in rates also. Maybe offer date night babysitting too. Anything to get your name out and for people to see your service. Business cards help too. You can hand them out and put up everywhere. I put mine at yogurts shops, book stores, grocery stores. Good luck!
Soccermom 05:50 PM 11-17-2014
It can be difficult to get clients before you are officially open and running the daycare.

People are hesitant to enroll somewhere when they can't see you in action and tend to worry about how serious the provider is about wanting to care for children.

Also, a lot of providers open and then end up closing up shop not long afterwards so parents tend to be cautious with new providers.

Don't give up hope! Advertise like crazy with pictures of your daycare space and get the word out through family, friends, dance class, baby gym, music lessons.... anywhere you go with your own kids is an opportunity to let people know you are opening a daycare as soon as you can get some people signed up. You could even offer a part time service in the evenings from now until Christmas for families looking to get some Christmas shopping done. It will help get the word out and maybe get the ball rolling.

You could also contact the local schools in the area and let them know you are opening a daycare in case any families are looking for afterschool care. Keep your head up and the right families will come along eventually and you will be able to get started

Good luck!
finsup 09:37 AM 11-18-2014
I couldn't believe how many times that happened when I first started. I'd get emails, and I'd reply, then nothing. Or we'd talk back and forth for a little while and then they'd never show up to the interview. It def. took longer then I expected to get kids in.
Tags:frustrated
Reply Up