Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Upset All The Time Now?
Nisaryn 10:04 PM 07-11-2015
Hello all, so I have a little girl that I only take care of sporadically. I have been caring for her over a month now and she sometimes comes to my daycare three times a week, sometimes two times a week and a few times she has come for four days. The times for drop off/pick up often vary which I am fine with. She is 3 months old. Recently baby began to spit up...like a LOT. I mentioned to DCM that I was afraid her baby might be feeling ill because she was a little warm and spitting up. Mom said "oh no, she is always like that...she has reflux..." well alright, I can understand that but would like to have known ahead of time plus she has never done this before! DCM didn't mention this issue at all in the interview or bother to tell me at any other time. Recently, the last two weeks, I've had her for 5 days total and ALL 5 days she has spit up all day and cried non-stop. She wasn't like this at all before...mom swears she isn't ill and I can't detect a fever any more and she doesn't appear to have any other issues. On top of this she only stops crying if I carry her and I have two other infants (5 month old, 8 month old and 14 month old) to care for at all times. On the days that she is with me we are all miserable because she will not stop crying, I can't get her to go to sleep easily (she fights to the very end), she throws up every time she eats and I can't take the time to care for the others needs without her crying the entire time. I don't want to let her CIO because she is so very little and if she cries for too long she actually starts to throw up again. I'm not sure how to handle this....I don't really want to terminate the care because I have no issues with DCM otherwise but this is starting to get a little out of hand not to mention gross. Any advice?
Reply
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 07-12-2015
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
Hello all, so I have a little girl that I only take care of sporadically. I have been caring for her over a month now and she sometimes comes to my daycare three times a week, sometimes two times a week and a few times she has come for four days. The times for drop off/pick up often vary which I am fine with. She is 3 months old. Recently baby began to spit up...like a LOT. I mentioned to DCM that I was afraid her baby might be feeling ill because she was a little warm and spitting up. Mom said "oh no, she is always like that...she has reflux..." well alright, I can understand that but would like to have known ahead of time plus she has never done this before! DCM didn't mention this issue at all in the interview or bother to tell me at any other time. Recently, the last two weeks, I've had her for 5 days total and ALL 5 days she has spit up all day and cried non-stop. She wasn't like this at all before...mom swears she isn't ill and I can't detect a fever any more and she doesn't appear to have any other issues. On top of this she only stops crying if I carry her and I have two other infants (5 month old, 8 month old and 14 month old) to care for at all times. On the days that she is with me we are all miserable because she will not stop crying, I can't get her to go to sleep easily (she fights to the very end), she throws up every time she eats and I can't take the time to care for the others needs without her crying the entire time. I don't want to let her CIO because she is so very little and if she cries for too long she actually starts to throw up again. I'm not sure how to handle this....I don't really want to terminate the care because I have no issues with DCM otherwise but this is starting to get a little out of hand not to mention gross. Any advice?
I would require a Dr visit and a written diagnosis from the Dr. Not a note saying child can or can't come to care as that is MY decision. I would only want a written diagnosis from the Dr.

I would NOT keep the baby all day if she cried non-stop. I'd call for pick up whether she had a fever or not. The all day crying (unless held) IS reason for exclusion as it takes from your ability to provide the same level of care and attention to the other children you have in your program.

Baby doesn't need to have a fever to have something wrong. I have a family of 3 (ages 6 months - 5 yrs old) and none of them ever ran a fever even with an ear infection, strep or any other ailment. All just get cranky and cry all day when sick.

The youngest currently ahs reflux and she throws up now and then but not a lot and not often if I make sure she sits upright for 30 minutes after eating. She also throws up clear liquid not food or anything like vomit when one is sick. I think it should be easy to tell if it's reflux or vomit due to sickness....but I am not sure as this is the first baby I've had with reflux.

I would require the Dr written diagnosis and go from there. I would also make sure you call mom for pick up when baby does cry ad is inconsolable unless held because it's simply not a need you can meet while caring for other babies too. It really shouldn't have anything to do with liking or not liking the mom. It should have EVERYTHING to do with your ability to care for everyone in your group. Each family has a right to expect the same quality services and when ONE child in group care creates a situation that does not allow you to do that, it's time to rethink the situation.

I also think you need to talk to mom about the baby being held...do they hold her all day at home? If so, you are fighting a losing battle and it will only get worse as she grows/ages. It's vital that the parents work WITH you.

Hoping you are able to find a solution. Babies like that are tough and depending on the situation it can be worked out. Sometimes it can't though and that's okay. It doesn't mean you are a failure or you should of or could of done something more.

It simply means the baby was not a good fit for your program.
Some of the toughest kids I've ever had and had to term had the best parents but I still had to do what was best for my whole group.
Reply
Leigh 08:56 AM 07-12-2015
Is this baby breast fed or formula fed? When I have had babies do this, EVERY time the doctor diagnosed acid reflux, and EVERY time, it was milk intolerance. EVERY time, it was cured by soy formula. Just an idea. Within days, these babies went back to happy and easy to care for.
Reply
Nisaryn 10:57 AM 07-12-2015
She is formula fed and has always been formula fed as far as I was told. I have tried to hold her upright after feedings but she still ends up throwing most of her food up...sometimes up to 2 hours after eating and then she cries because she is most likely hungry but DCM has her on a set bottle schedule and only sends in her scheduled 3 bottles...she has run out before I've asked her to please bring more "just in case" but she never does. and I have tried to speak with her about the issue and the crying but the baby goes to another caregiver for the evening since she works up to 12 hours a day and she is in and out the door so fast that I barely get a word in! It's frustrating to say the least... :/ I'm going to try texting her later on today to ask her again to please bring more formula and suggest that she has her little one seen by the doctor since she has been spitting up more than usual lately. Thank you everyone for the advice!
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 04:55 PM 07-12-2015
I wouldn't request. I would say she nees to bring a can of formula, so you have as much as you need, and she NEEDS to see the doc to rule out any other issues.
Reply
sf-montessori 09:33 PM 07-12-2015
If the doctor clears her, then it may be a case of severe infant stress. The inconsistent daily schedule may be difficult for her to handle. Infants are very sensitive to different arrival times and the like. Perhaps an email to her mother is in order since mom is always busy or in a rush.
Reply
Unregistered 09:18 PM 07-13-2015
Originally Posted by sf-montessori:
If the doctor clears her, then it may be a case of severe infant stress. The inconsistent daily schedule may be difficult for her to handle. Infants are very sensitive to different arrival times and the like. Perhaps an email to her mother is in order since mom is always busy or in a rush.
I hadn't thought of that! She goes from DCM to me to her next provider and then DCM picks her up while she is still sleeping and heads home then rinse and repeat Monday through Saturday (on Sat. she goes to her grandmothers I believe). I can imagine this must be very stressful, I know it would be for me. ! I wish DCM was able to find a provider that could take care of her baby the entire time she is away. I can't offer afternoon/night hours because of my own family. I think I'll suggest this to her and ask around as well to see if I can find anyone that does provide this amount of care.
Reply
LysesKids 06:29 AM 07-14-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I hadn't thought of that! She goes from DCM to me to her next provider and then DCM picks her up while she is still sleeping and heads home then rinse and repeat Monday through Saturday (on Sat. she goes to her grandmothers I believe). I can imagine this must be very stressful, I know it would be for me. ! I wish DCM was able to find a provider that could take care of her baby the entire time she is away. I can't offer afternoon/night hours because of my own family. I think I'll suggest this to her and ask around as well to see if I can find anyone that does provide this amount of care.
There are also state regs that can prevent a child from being in care too long; I have to limit my Foster drop-in to 9 hours day then she gets picked up... on days Foster parents work a 24 hr shift a respite worker comes to their home for all the kids (7 Foster kids altogether)
Reply
Unregistered 08:46 AM 07-14-2015
Mom brought in the extra formula today so I have some on hand!
Reply
Tags:infant - behavior, part time
Reply Up