Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Positives During This Crisis
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 03-16-2020
There are already several threads about the stresses and added issues this Corona virus is creating among the child care world so I thought maybe it would be nice to find some positives we could share that shows that humans are still good people and have the ability to come together during a world wide crisis...

So anyone have parents that have gone above and beyond? Acts of kindness you have been part of or witnessed while out in public?

Here's mine:

I tried to buy wet wipes (diaper wipes) for care as my supply is running a bit low and of course when I went to the stores (all of them) there were none to be found.

I sent out a little note on the bottom of my COVID-19 notices to parents that if anyone has any refill packs they could possibly spare would they please send them to care tomorrow (this morning).

Almost every single parent I have showed up with at least 2 packages....one mom said she went to an out of the way convenience store over the weekend and bought a huge box and brought them this morning.

I have 11 families. I now have 29 packages of wet wipes that I did not have yesterday.

I have to say I am proud that a majority of my clients are truly good clients.
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 03-16-2020

I have not needed anything and my clients are really used to me being prepared and trained, so most have made a statement of "they are safer with you" of some sort. Although it is frustrating that I have a full house unnecessarily, I am almost 50 and at higher risk than they are, I know it is because they strongly feel their kids are safe here.
Snowmom 07:55 AM 03-16-2020
Oh, that's so sweet!

I'm so grateful that I did not have to chase down any payments today given all but one daycare child is home.
I did not expect that. I figured I'd likely have to explain the "you pay for the spot" talk with a few.

I also had the one parent who brought their child (teacher) ask if she could bring in any disinfecting supplies since I mentioned how fast I was going through them with my amped up cleaning schedule.
CenterTeacher20 08:06 AM 03-16-2020
Almost all of our families brought in something needed. Lysol spray, disinfectant wipes, hand soap and paper towel. Most of our DCPs work in healthcare and are so appreciative and grateful for us staying open (even though the schools closed) right now which feels really good.
Baby Beluga 10:08 AM 03-16-2020
A DCP sent a text yesterday to check in, see how I was doing, asked if we had what we needed and offered to help if I needed something that I did not have. I thought it was very thoughtful of her to take time out of her day to do that.

I am also appreciative of all of my DCP's staying in communication with me. It is normally a very important part of our jobs, but even more so now.

I am also very very very very thankful that DH has a job that can easily be done from home. When so many things are shutting down and so many people are out of work, or have experienced a large loss in income, I am so very thankful for this.
e.j. 11:10 AM 03-16-2020
Parents who can are staying home with their kids - mostly my teachers and those with government jobs. Since I'm still open, they're paying me without complaint. A couple of families have already offered to pay me even if I have to close due to my own illness (which I normally don't charge for) or if I have to due to government mandate. A few have told me not to worry about running out of TP; they'll share theirs with me if I need it. lol I have 1 family who is still planning to send their child to me for as long as I'm open but only because they work in jobs in the medial field and public service. I haven't heard from another family yet; the child wasn't scheduled to come today. I expect to hear today or tomorrow from them. They're a great family, too, so I know I won't get any flack from them either. I'm very lucky to have some really great families!

There was a story on the news last night involving a nursing home in our town. A resident there was celebrating her 100th birthday. Since visitors are restricted because of the outbreak, her family and the nursing home worked together to find a way for the family to celebrate with her. The family gathered together outside her window and sang the Happy Birthday song to her. She waved to them while they waved back and told her they loved her. It's unfortunate they couldn't celebrate the way they normally would but it was nice to see the nursing home staff working with the family so they could at least let her know they loved her and were thinking of her on her special day.
Msdunny 12:24 PM 03-16-2020
All of my families are staying home with their kids, and are still willing to pay half-rate, except for one family who told me that since they will continue to be paid, they will continue to pay me my full rate.

Since I don't have any littles here for the next 2 weeks, I will be doing some major spring cleaning and throwing out junk that I find hidden away in cabinets and closets that I just don't need anymore. And taking some of the upcoming sunny warm days to clean up our playground and adding new equipment.
Unregistered 08:02 AM 03-23-2020
Our city is implementing a stay at home order. I sent a text informing parents that if they are affected that they will go to 50% pay. Immediately got a reply from one family that they will continue to pay full fee. I was greatly moved. Their baby hasn't been here for 2 weeks.
e.j. 08:50 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Our city is implementing a stay at home order. I sent a text informing parents that if they are affected that they will go to 50% pay. Immediately got a reply from one family that they will continue to pay full fee. I was greatly moved. Their baby hasn't been here for 2 weeks.
You have to love parents like that!
Tags:coronavirus, covid-19 and daycare, helping others, helping this in need, positive experience, positive praise, positive support
Reply Up