Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Does This Always Happen??
Crazy8 08:33 AM 10-16-2013
after a really rough summer finally filled all spots for September. Thought, wow, can finally start saving a little money for next summer - all kids expected to stay till June or so. Few weeks ago dcm comes in and says they are moving out of town. I have one expecting a baby so would just leave the spot open for 2 months or so, not that big deal. Now another one comes in and says they are going to leave - found a cheap preschool with longer hours. Yay for them. But this now cuts my income in HALF right before the holidays. And, these are my older kids which are harder to find because of all the preschool options - all my calls are for babies but I can't take any more babies right now. Sometimes I hate the uncertainty of this job!!
cara041083 08:38 AM 10-16-2013
Im sorry hun. I feel ya. I had 3 kids and last month, all of them left. 2 got laid off and 1 decided to stay home. I went from having income to NO income. I have learned that this business your either making good money or not at all and its so frustrating. And im due to have a baby in Dec/Jan so at this point I really can't find new kids until after that. Big to you and I hope it gets better for you
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 10-16-2013
Sorry this happened. The uncertainty of this job is tough...

Hang in there!
Maria2013 09:15 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Sometimes I hate the uncertainty of this job!!

Josiegirl 10:13 AM 10-16-2013
I definitely can relate. I hope business picks up for all of us who need it, very very soon!
melilley 10:18 AM 10-16-2013
I feel ya! I have had an opening for 30 months and up for almost 2 1/2 months now and of course only get calls for 1 and under and I have a waiting list for infants, but can't take them. I wish we could take more younger children. I don't think that licensing (or whoever regulates/makes the rules) knows how hard it is to get preschool aged children, especially with all the preschools around.
melilley 10:20 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I definitely can relate. I hope business picks up for all of us who need it, very very soon!
I see it's not just here!
Crazy8 06:32 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I feel ya! I have had an opening for 30 months and up for almost 2 1/2 months now and of course only get calls for 1 and under and I have a waiting list for infants, but can't take them. I wish we could take more younger children. I don't think that licensing (or whoever regulates/makes the rules) knows how hard it is to get preschool aged children, especially with all the preschools around.
this is exactly my problem!! When I started my daycare 12+ years ago I had kids till 4-4.5 when they'd go off for a year of preschool. More recent years I've been losing them at 3.5 for 2 years of preschool and now these TWO kids are both leaving under 3 and going to preschools. One claims its cheaper and open longer and will potty train her kid (because I've had the nerve to ask her to stay home a few of her days off and start the process before I will continue it here).
Childminder 06:37 PM 10-16-2013
I feel for you, my enrollment is the lowest it has ever been and I have been doing this a looooonnnnnng time.
dbslas 07:25 PM 10-16-2013
Feast or famine here too. It seems when we don't have space, we get tons of calls. When we have space....crickets. Right now we are hearing crickets to the tune of 3 vacancies.
Patches 09:20 PM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
Feast or famine here too. It seems when we don't have space, we get tons of calls. When we have space....crickets. Right now we are hearing crickets to the tune of 3 vacancies.
4 here! And a no call/no show interview tonight And almost got a drop in for tomorrow, but she wanted to bring 2 kids for the price of 1 Ummm, no. Sucks, because I could have used the extra cash
Tags:bad economy, daycare environment
Reply Up