Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Help
Thriftylady 05:08 PM 12-03-2014
I got a call today from a gal who is in an odd situation sort of. Let me first say that I think her boyfriend will get on my last nerve because I was trying to find out what the needed to do a quote and he kept yelling "ask her what she charges per day".... Well it depends dummy! Anyway, she is getting back to work so very low on money until she starts getting paid. She has a one year old who would be here 6 hours a day but not every day but it would be some weekends. And a 5 year old who will be at head start during part of those hours. I gave her a starting rate until she gets her hours more set up, but she doesn't have money to prepay.

Here is where I want to not get into trouble. I want to help everyone and I am also sort of desperate to get going. But I am not desperate to put money into kids and not get paid. How in the world do I perhaps get her started, and not mess myself over. I just messed myself over last week giving away paperwork without an enrollment fee because I really liked the mom, and then she changed her mind, meaning I never got any return on my paperwork and we all know how costly that is.
BrooklynM 05:18 PM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I got a call today from a gal who is in an odd situation sort of. Let me first say that I think her boyfriend will get on my last nerve because I was trying to find out what the needed to do a quote and he kept yelling "ask her what she charges per day".... Well it depends dummy! Anyway, she is getting back to work so very low on money until she starts getting paid. She has a one year old who would be here 6 hours a day but not every day but it would be some weekends. And a 5 year old who will be at head start during part of those hours. I gave her a starting rate until she gets her hours more set up, but she doesn't have money to prepay.

Here is where I want to not get into trouble. I want to help everyone and I am also sort of desperate to get going. But I am not desperate to put money into kids and not get paid. How in the world do I perhaps get her started, and not mess myself over. I just messed myself over last week giving away paperwork without an enrollment fee because I really liked the mom, and then she changed her mind, meaning I never got any return on my paperwork and we all know how costly that is.
I think you need to do a couple of things. First, you need to meet them both in person and see if it is someone you want to work with. Who knows, her boyfriend could be even ruder in person! Then, you need to define exactly when she will need to start paying in full. Be crystal clear and I would probably expect her to quit before her rates went up. I'm not saying she will, but you never know. How did she find out about you? Do you know anyone in common with her?
Thriftylady 05:21 PM 12-03-2014
I am going to meet them in person for sure, set an interview for Friday. That is the thing, I don't want her to leave owing me money, but I want to help her IF I feel like I can work with her.
Rockgirl 05:24 PM 12-03-2014
Honestly, I wouldn't take them. Assuming it takes a couple of weeks for dcm to start getting paid, she'll owe for that, plus at least the next week, depending on how you charge. Chances are, she won't be able to swing it, if she's already low on money now. Sounds cold, but I just wouldn't risk it, personally.
BrooklynM 05:31 PM 12-03-2014
Maybe you could arrange it like this (I'm going to use whole numbers so it's easy)

Normal fee per week is $200
For 6 weeks you pay $100 a week
Starting week 7 you will pay $200 a week.

This $600 discount is considered a loan that will be considered forgiven after 26 weeks of full payments.

I'm just trying to think outside the box...I'm not a lawyer and have no idea if this is legal, however, I do DVR the People's Court and watch it daily.
Thriftylady 05:33 PM 12-03-2014
LOL I love Judge Judy, I didn't know Peoples Court was even still on.
NeedaVaca 05:20 AM 12-04-2014
I don't offer any "special", especially when money in concerned. You don't know anything about this family and I think it's just asking for trouble IMO. The situation isn't really odd, it's the kind of thing we hear all the time, I can't afford daycare but I need someone to watch my kids. It's up to them to figure it out.
DaveA 05:27 AM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Maybe you could arrange it like this (I'm going to use whole numbers so it's easy)

Normal fee per week is $200
For 6 weeks you pay $100 a week
Starting week 7 you will pay $200 a week.

This $600 discount is considered a loan that will be considered forgiven after 26 weeks of full payments.

I'm just trying to think outside the box...I'm not a lawyer and have no idea if this is legal, however, I do DVR the People's Court and watch it daily.
I don't do reduced rates for startup EVER- it almost never ends well.

If you want to do something like above, I would have it in writing signed by both. Include a termination fee of whatever the sum of the discount would be if care is stopped before a certain period of time- I would do 4-6 months.
KiddieCahoots 06:55 AM 12-04-2014
Ugh! That's a slippery slope to start off on.

I wouldn't trust that, just for the fact of $ being one of the biggest problems we encounter. I have to agree with Dave, it almost never ends well with money issues.
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 12-04-2014
If the family qualifies for Head Start, they more than likely qualify for child care assistance. I'd refer her to the child care assistance program in your state.

If you do not accept assistance or payment from the state, I'd pass on this family.

I totally understand wanting to help those in need but I wouldn't put myself in "need" by doing so.

It's also important to remember that IF you did consider making a payment arrangement with her and IF she is low income and ends up stiffing you for what she owes you then gets sued in small claims court, you will still end up with nothing because you legally cannot garnish a persons wages or force a judgment on them if they can prove they are low income and living below the poverty level.

Just some food for thought.
Thriftylady 09:30 AM 12-04-2014
Thanks for all the comments, and I am willing to hear anymore ideas! I didn't think of the income thing Black Cat between head start and getting assistance I wasn't sure if head start was still even income related! She did tell me she is getting paid in cash. It gives me a few more questions to ask when she comes for an interview. I am really thinking no on this, for one thing she can't even tell me what days she is going to be working, and what kind of place pays cash anymore? The whole thing just seems odd to me at this point.
Laurel 10:38 AM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If the family qualifies for Head Start, they more than likely qualify for child care assistance. I'd refer her to the child care assistance program in your state.

If you do not accept assistance or payment from the state, I'd pass on this family.

I totally understand wanting to help those in need but I wouldn't put myself in "need" by doing so.

It's also important to remember that IF you did consider making a payment arrangement with her and IF she is low income and ends up stiffing you for what she owes you then gets sued in small claims court, you will still end up with nothing because you legally cannot garnish a persons wages or force a judgment on them if they can prove they are low income and living below the poverty level.

Just some food for thought.
Not to mention, here I couldn't even go to small claims court if I didn't have a current address and had someone stiff me by moving and I did not have their address.

Laurel
Laurel 10:41 AM 12-04-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Thanks for all the comments, and I am willing to hear anymore ideas! I didn't think of the income thing Black Cat between head start and getting assistance I wasn't sure if head start was still even income related! She did tell me she is getting paid in cash. It gives me a few more questions to ask when she comes for an interview. I am really thinking no on this, for one thing she can't even tell me what days she is going to be working, and what kind of place pays cash anymore? The whole thing just seems odd to me at this point.
This doesn't sound good at all. Probably won't even show up for the interview I'm thinking.

If you do consider taking them, I'd charge 'something' in cash and collect it at the beginning of each day or no care. I wouldn't take a child for a few days without some cash at least. I'd probably just pass though. Sounds fishy.

Laurel
rosieteddy 10:56 AM 12-04-2014
One thing I have learned in 30 yrs of bussiness ,we are not their family.You owe them nothing.When we get emotionally involved its a slippery slope.They can borrow from family to pay you and worry about paying them back.As someone else said they will never get caught up.I would not take this family.
Thriftylady 01:05 PM 12-04-2014
I thought after I posted last that I will do the interview but I am wondering if I should get involved. She is getting paid in cash she says, and may be able to get state assistance but vaguely said something about not being able to since she gets paid cash. I am now beginning to wonder if she is getting services and not wanting to report income? I don't like to think that way about people, but the fact I don't like to think that way has gotten me burned before. Guess I better start being more willing huh? Anyway I will do the interview but am going to tread slowly.
Reply Up