Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Did It Take To Set Up Your In Home Daycare?
melilley 08:15 AM 01-08-2013
I'm just curious about how long it took to set up your daycare? I had my son in July and quit working to open up my in home daycare. I feel like it's taking forever to open, but between setting up my home/space to comply with licensing, going out and buying things to open, doing research for and writing my handbook and contact; along with doing daily household chores, grocery shopping, and taking care of my baby it just seems like I'm taking forever. I think I can finally turn in my final paperwork tomorrow, I'm just finishing up installing locks on my cabinets then I can FINALLY turn it in...lol
MNMum 08:33 AM 01-08-2013
We moved into our house in July 2011 and I was finally legally licensed in October 2011. I had 3 kids of my own and lots of toys/pack n plays/etc. I had been planning on it since probably March of 2011, so I was garage saling, etc from that point forward. I also spent a lot of time on this board to get ideas, get my contract started. So really probably 6 mos before I was legal. 18 mos later I am still collecting things I need, setting up curriculum, changing my space, updating my contract.

If you wait until everything is perfectly set up, it could be forever!
bunnyslippers 10:25 AM 01-08-2013
We started finishing our basement in June, 2008. It was just a basement - we haad to do the whole thing. The space itself, with materials, supplies, tables, appliances, paperwork, contracts - everything - was done by the last week in August, when we opened officially.

Longest, most stressful summer EVER! All in all, about 10 weeks, beginning to end.
MNMum 10:48 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
We started finishing our basement in June, 2008. It was just a basement - we haad to do the whole thing. The space itself, with materials, supplies, tables, appliances, paperwork, contracts - everything - was done by the last week in August, when we opened officially.

Longest, most stressful summer EVER! All in all, about 10 weeks, beginning to end.
Did you finish your basement yourself, or did you hire out? We are looking at finishing our basement by July, so daycare and home can be separate when I am on maternity leave ( I have someone coming in to take over).
Jessie 10:58 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
We moved into our house in July 2011 and I was finally legally licensed in October 2011. I had 3 kids of my own and lots of toys/pack n plays/etc. I had been planning on it since probably March of 2011, so I was garage saling, etc from that point forward. I also spent a lot of time on this board to get ideas, get my contract started. So really probably 6 mos before I was legal. 18 mos later I am still collecting things I need, setting up curriculum, changing my space, updating my contract.

If you wait until everything is perfectly set up, it could be forever!
This was EXACTLY my story, my daughter was born in Feb 2011, we moved in July 2011, I got licensed in October, and my first kid walked in the door beginning of December. I started the licensing process with the state in June 2011 - necessary trainings and research, and looking back, those first few months with my first kid were totally unlike how I run things now. It can take a while to get kids too, depending on what the child care market in your area is like. Especially with a little one of your own running around, it can feel like you don't have a lot of momentum, but you'll get there!
MarinaVanessa 12:02 PM 01-08-2013
I started the licensing process in a December by going to my required orientation. In January I completed my fingerprinting and TB test. I received my background check clearance in February.

I completed my CPR, Preventative Safety and First aid training in March and then sent in my application along with all of my requirements. I sent in my application directly to my local Licensing office instead of to Sacramento (I'm in CA) as suggested by the analyst at the orientation and I got a call to schedule my home inspection a week later, the inspection was scheduled for the same month.

In the meantime while I was doing all of this I advertised for one family (in CA you can care for the children of one family and still be legal) and I got my first client 2 weeks before my home inspection. I passed my home inspection and was immediately given a facility number and I immediately started to openly advertise for more clients. It took another 2 months to sign my 2nd client and after that it was easy to get more clients. I did however have to watch family and friends kids (I borrowed them and didn't charge for it) so that other families were comfortable with signing up. So all in all it took me 3 months to complete the process ad become licensed.
spud912 01:25 PM 01-08-2013
I wrote and prepared the majority of daycare paperwork before I quit my last job (I was pregnant at the time). We moved in September of 2010 and I was due in mid-November. Between the beginning of September and mid-November, we deep cleaned the house, lined all the shelving, unpacked and organized, removed boxes, purchased daycare equipment and set up the majority of the equipment. When I had my younger dd in Mid-November, I went on maternity leave (paid either using accrued vacation/sick time and short term disability). We enjoyed the holidays, finished preparing the daycare and advertised for openings. After being out of work for 6 weeks (and after I used up all my paid leave), I put in my 2 week notice. It was at the same time that my first client started, so there never was any period where I had zero income.

Since I've been open, I went from only wanting 2 dck's to having 4 dck's, I did major renovations to my paperwork, changed a lot of my practices and my playroom has been completely transformed (multiple times haha!). I would say the whole thing was more of a long journey than it was a one-time experience.
melilley 02:12 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:

Wow, I guess it is taking me forever, I only have a playroom and have to childproof the rest of my house and it's taking me longer than it did for you to finish a whole basement...lol I wish I could do mine in my basement, you are lucky!
Kim 03:33 PM 01-08-2013
I started in May and was licensed and open by August. It wasn't as perfect as I wanted it to be but I had to get my doors open and start making an income. Within the next year we finished in part of our garage to make a dedicated daycare kitchen so our house upstairs isn't daycare anymore. If I would have waited to do the kitchen it would have taken me much much longer!
LK5kids 04:32 AM 01-09-2013
I opened my doors about 5 weeks after buying a home just for child care. I began writing policies, contacting the state, etc. about a month before that.
We worked on the house painting and putting in safety upgrades the month after signing papers. I am still legally unlicensed and caring for three.

My state has a 14 page checklist you must complete and then a pre-licensor visits to make sure you are ready for the official check. I started inquiring if my BA in early childhood K-6 cert. qualifies for the entry level training over 3 months ago and I am still waiting to hear if it counts toward some or all of the entry level classes. I even taught the entry level classes for a few years! That was about 6/7 years ago and they had a big upgrade of the training requirements and may not even consider that experience. I was told a final packet went out this last Friday but that has not arrive yet. Then it takes about 5 weeks to get their cert., which I need for final inspection. So, I am still waiting to find out if I have to take a few classes.

I suppose from the time I started it will have taken me 6 mo. I feel your pain. This is a long tiring process. Even having taught the classes to get certified or licensed I'm finding out actually trying to jump the hoops is a huge pain in the @$$!
Lianne 05:02 AM 01-09-2013
I didn't have to deal with licensing but I did have to get my finances sorted and move to a new city. It took 6mos of trying to decide if I should take the leap and then a year to get my ducks in a row. I was working as a nanny through that time, knowing my job would be coming to an end when the child was ready for school. I timed the opening of my daycare with the end of that job.

I had one child lined up to start right away, enough to pay my rent the next month and that was it, lol. I lucked out and found enough clients to make it through.
snips&snails 04:17 PM 01-09-2013
I wish I had obsessed less about being perfect & gotten licensed sooner - hindsight lol. The funny part is that I have been licensed 2 months & am completely redoing my playroom & contract this month, and just changed the way I do my rates. I have learned that until you try it you have no idea what will work for you!
Tags:daycare setup, new daycare
Reply Up