Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Do You Store Your Emergency Supplies?
CrackerJacks 09:53 AM 03-13-2014
I'm in the process of having all my parents bring in 24hrs worth of emergency supplies for their child: where do you all store all this stuff I have 8 kids, this is ALOT of stuff and anything else I should add to the list

1 gallon water
2 changes of clothes including shoes (warm and cold weather)
24hrs worth of non perishable foods (crackers,bars etc)
First aid kit
Blanket
Flashlight
Diapers and wipes (if child is in diapers)
2 batteries of each AA, AAA, C and D
Luvnmykidz 02:00 PM 03-13-2014
I am a little confused, as I thought most of the things on your list are the providers responsibility to provide. At any rate I will answer to the best of my ability.
I am not yet providing care but I have a tote in my foyer closet that has bottled water canned food a can opener crank radio flashlights batteries blankets first aid kit coloring books crayons puzzles wipes hand sanitizer diapers and a few other items. The parents are requested to send a change of clothing. Hope that helps.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 06:14 PM 03-15-2014
Most of that stuff I have in my emergency kit. I would only need my first aid kit. I keep flashlights/ batteries etc. I store emergency water and food that includes enough for the my family and dc to last 3 days. The kids have changes of clothes in their cubbies. We do not live in a "tornado area" so mine would be more if we got stuck here due to a winter storm or a heavy rainstorm with downed trees. I can not imagine my parents not getting here within the day though.
If there was a stormy period that I felt we might have to go to the basement I would grab for the kids that were here (diapers etc) to take to the basement. I can not imagine requiring additional supplies.
I have a packed tote for the basement for emergencies. Blankets, flashlights, weather radio etc.
Laurel 06:32 PM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
I'm in the process of having all my parents bring in 24hrs worth of emergency supplies for their child: where do you all store all this stuff I have 8 kids, this is ALOT of stuff and anything else I should add to the list

1 gallon water
2 changes of clothes including shoes (warm and cold weather)
24hrs worth of non perishable foods (crackers,bars etc)
First aid kit
Blanket
Flashlight
Diapers and wipes (if child is in diapers)
2 batteries of each AA, AAA, C and D
I've never thought of emergency supplies. Do you mean if you had to exit the house quickly or if you were stuck inside the house because of a storm, etc.? To be clear, I mean which one of the later did you mean? If we stay in the house, I wouldn't need anything but maybe water. If we had to leave, then I'm not all that prepared.

I live in hurricane country so have flashlights, batteries, crank radio, and even a generator. The children bring diaper bags daily so they always have a change of clothes. I only buy extra water around hurricane season. I always have canned food and first aid kit. I guess I could get water all the time.

Oh water tip: Use and replace water frequently. Those plastic jugs of water are biodegradable and leak over time. Ask me how I know.

Laurel
Cynthia 07:03 PM 03-15-2014
I have put mine on top of refrigerator in garage. All I have to do is open garage door grab extra food and water from refrigerator put in bag and I'm good to go. I'm in Northern Cal. So just Earthquakes and if Delta break, flooding .
pandamom 10:51 PM 03-15-2014
I work in a center. We have a big backpack with the following supplies:

-a few diapers
-a travel case of wipes
-first aid kit
-receiving blanket for each child (to cover up if it's cold)
-list of contact information on all our children
-list of allergies/special needs of our children

THis backpack is only used for if we have to evacuate the building- fire, etc.

It's stored on a hook by the door we use as our primary exit.
Laurel 03:33 AM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by pandamom:
I work in a center. We have a big backpack with the following supplies:

-a few diapers
-a travel case of wipes
-first aid kit
-receiving blanket for each child (to cover up if it's cold)
-list of contact information on all our children
-list of allergies/special needs of our children

THis backpack is only used for if we have to evacuate the building- fire, etc.

It's stored on a hook by the door we use as our primary exit.
That makes sense in a fire. I could probably just grab their diaper bags and put it in the stroller that sits by the door. In the stroller I have a first aid kit and emergency info anyway.

Laurel
Second Home 04:20 PM 03-16-2014
I have a large tote bin with the food supplies & blankets , flashlight etc... in my basement and a second back pack for my to-go bag near my garage it has with similar items (minus the food) but I have attendance / medication sheets and copies of all the kids emergency forms in it .
Reply Up