Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Social Media Posts
MyCircusMyMonkeys 06:18 AM 12-19-2019
I let a mother go in order to come into compliance with the food programs numbe limits. I was within those limits as she was supposed to be on the certificate program by the time we started, but she decided not to participate when she found out she had to work. Smh. Why she thought the state would pay me for her to sit home all day I’ll never know.

Anyway I had already told all families we would be starting and she got free food anyway from WIC and food stamps. Plus she was the only parent without a job.

I explained and offered to watch him until the end of next week. She said send his stuff home this Friday instead. So I went ahead and got all of his stuff together that stays here and told her it was ready for her at pickup, and she could just send his day to day stuff the next couple of days.

Instead she picked him up at the last minute as always (drops him off first too, despite not working), immediately blocked me on Facebook and started badmouthing me. I started getting screenshots from people left and right. (Small town.)

Then her sister messaged on my app wanting me to refund her money. Umm, no. I did tell her that my social media policy was violated and her posts were forwarded to my attorney, and she would owe me money if they weren’t deleted.

I ended up having to make a post on my daycare page. Very professional. Nothing included that I’d like to say so I’m getting them off my chest here:

Where was her sisters concern when I was insisting the right diapers be sent? Worse, when she came in on Monday saying she’d run out of milk and had been feeding the baby Pedialyte as she handed me a just purchased can of formula. Why was she out? Because despite have no job she didn’t manage to make the WIC appointment. Just like she had told me that she had to call and reschedule his shots because she “just couldn’t do it” and was “too busy” that week. Doing what exactly?

This is the mom that was madder than all get out over having to pick her sick kid who turned out to have RSV and made multiple trips to the emergency room with her. He also got everyone else sick. Every single kid and family member in my home got it. It didn’t help that she took hours to come get him and insisted he wasn’t sick for two straight days after that until he RSV was diagnosed. Then on Facebook she became the poor worried mother. Ugh. Now she’s making things up about me sending everyone home if one kid was sick.

Not to mention the state paid me a visit about her child. Rightly so.

I can’t say any of that on social media. Or much of anything really. She can say whatever and I cannot without looking unprofessional and like a drama mama like her. It’s so frustrating!

She’s sooooo mad that she has to watch her own child!
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 12-19-2019
This is a perfect example of why one should never mix business with personal.

Other than advertising, there is really no reason to have contact with a client via social media.

Social media is both a blessing and a curse depending on how it's used.

Way too much drama for me.

I hope you are able to remedy this situation and move on.
MyCircusMyMonkeys 07:45 AM 12-19-2019
Oh yes. I’ll move right along now that I’ve gotten that off my chest. Thanks!

You’re right about social media. I don’t really want clients on mine, but especially in this tiny town, people take it so personally if you don’t accept their friend requests. I recently got a message because I did not accept a friend request from a parents sister in law. Truly.

I guess they will have to just be mad from now on. I’m just going to start saying that it’s my policy not to have parents on my personal social media, but they are welcome to like/follow the business page.

If only the parents were as easy to handle as the children.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 12-19-2019
Originally Posted by MyCircusMyMonkeys:
Oh yes. I’ll move right along now that I’ve gotten that off my chest. Thanks!

You’re right about social media. I don’t really want clients on mine, but especially in this tiny town, people take it so personally if you don’t accept their friend requests. I recently got a message because I did not accept a friend request from a parents sister in law. Truly.

I guess they will have to just be mad from now on. I’m just going to start saying that it’s my policy not to have parents on my personal social media, but they are welcome to like/follow the business page.

If only the parents were as easy to handle as the children.
Yes, it's best to have a personal page for "friends and family" and a business page for clients.

I have always told my clients (even the one's I've become friendly with over the years) that they are a client FIRST and while enrolled in my program and a friend AFTER they no longer use my services.

They are welcome to follow the business page but if I wouldn't invite them to a family/friend get together then they aren't welcome on my personal page.

Once they understand it's not personal (because the working relationship isn't) then it's an easy rule to follow for both.

On the flip side, I don't want to know some of the things parents post on their pages. I really don't.
Sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

I am glad you were able to vent and feel better!
Welcome to the forum by the way.....it's a great place to vent and share as well as make a few virtual friends along the way!
MyCircusMyMonkeys 10:18 AM 12-19-2019
For the advice and the warm welcome! This forum will no doubt be a saving grace for me!
e.j. 12:12 PM 12-19-2019
One negative about small towns is that everyone knows everyone else's business. One positive about small towns is everyone knows everyone else's business. Hopefully most people who read her posts will "consider the source". Chances are, more people will be rolling their eyes at her drama than believing any negative things she has to say about you and your day care. Just remain positive and professional; don't feed into her drama. Eventually she'll move on to another topic.
MyCircusMyMonkeys 01:59 PM 12-19-2019
I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what is happening. She’s a drama mama and always ranting about something or someone, so I’m not worried about it.

I was just super frustrated choking on everything I wanted to be able to say. Once I got it out here the anger went with it. So thankful for this forum! I’ve learned a ton just reading old posts!
Ariana 03:10 PM 12-19-2019
She sounds ridiculous and that poor poor baby . I think in all of this he is the one truly suffering. I know you were hurt by her actions (we have all been there!) but you are a big girl and you will get over it, but what about a little baby whose mother doesn’t even want him

My heart just hurts so much for kids with parents who do not want to spend any time with them. In her case it sounds like she had him for the $$.

Sorry you are dealing with this a$$hat It’s true that we are not able to say anything while the parents get to say whatever they want. It’s the same way with criticizing parents and what they do. Everyone says “stop judging”. This is the only place where people actually get it.
Tags:blackcat, subsidy issues
Reply Up