Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I In The Wrong?
queenbee 12:56 PM 07-19-2012
I have a parent with 3 kids in my daycare (4mo, 4yo, 6yo). The 4yo and 6yo are school-agers and are only here for the summer.

Last Monday, 6yo brings in a bag filled with barbies, two stuffed animals that she sleeps with and 4 books. The bag stayed on her hook all day with no mention of anything in the bag besides getting the stuffed animals for naptime. Tuesday, same thing. Bag comes in - nothing is every mentioned. Wednesday, Thursday - same thing. Friday the 6yo forgets the bag in the car and is upset that she doesn't have anything to sleep with.

This Monday comes and 6yo brings in a smaller bag with 6 books, 2 barbies and one stuffed animal.

Mom says: "Molly told me that you haven't been making her read her books. Can you make sure she reads to you today for at least 30 minutes?"

I said: "I wasn't aware that she needed to read each day. We don't allow any outside toys or books so the books stay in the bag until pick-up."

Mom sighs loudly and exits. Tuesday comes around and the bag is back I was busy changing diapers in the changing room and didn't see the trio arrive. One of my assistants welcomed them into the gate and she tells me that DCM told her to "Please have Molly read to you today. She is really behind on where she should be. We don't have any time in the evenings for her to read so it needs to happen here."

I emailed Mom during naptime on Tuesday and say:

Dear DCM,

My assistant informed me of your request this morning at drop-off regarding Molly and her required reading. Our daily schedule is followed to the minute each day and we cannot accomodate a 30 minutes session of individual reading with just one child.

I would suggest spending some time with Molly each evening after pick-up and having her read to you or perhaps even her siblings. Maybe she can take advantage of the car ride to and from daycare to catch up on her reading. Unfortunately, I cannot devote time specifically to Molly for 30 minutes each day as it is unfair to the other children who also need my attention and supervision.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Queen

Mom emailed back with a brisk "Sure, thanks", and so far the bag has been brought back to daycare for the past two mornings. Mom has not mentioned it but dcg has told me each morning shortly after drop off that her mom said she needs to read today.

It is NOT my responsiblity to make sure dcg reads for at least 30 minutes each day. Not only do we not have time for it as our schedule during the day, but I do not feel that I should be forcing dcg to read during the day while her friends play and have fun. Summer is about fun and we have fieldtrips nearly everyday. With 16 children ranging from 4mo - 6yrs, it is not possible especially in group care.

Am I completely in the wrong or does Mom need to stop trying to pass the responsibility off to me?

All input is welcome!
Tags:parents - ask too much
Up