Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paid VACA or Sick Days?
happykidschildcare 01:44 PM 05-19-2010
Can anyone share info on how to handle making changes to my policy so that I can get paid vaca or sick days?
Ive been providing care for some of my parents for 4 + years so I have siblings etc... So how do I go about writing a new contract asking for PAID vacation days & sick days? Anyone have a sample or can share info on that.
I feel like a few of the parents will be ok with this, but some are just way cheap and probably are going to throw a fit. So o want to do this as gently as possible...

In the past, when I take off sick days i go without pay, and I usually take 1 week unpaid vacation... Other then that the only time I get off is 3 day weekend.
MarinaVanessa 02:41 PM 05-19-2010
I have 5 paid sick-days a year. Other than that any time that the daycare needs to be closed due to my choice (i.e. vacation) I don't charge. The way I figure if I'm closing and I'm creating the inconvenience and they have to find alternate childcare why should they pay? I also give my families 5 unpaid days of vacation and another 5 days at half price. Any other time taken off for appointments, sickness, family time etc. by the families is still charged at the regular rate. I also take paid days off for holidays.

Here is how my policy is written:
Sick/Personal Days
The provider reserves five paid sick days a year. These sick days can only be used for the provider’s own illness or that of a loved one for whom must be cared for. In the situation that the provider becomes ill and cannot care for the children the daycare will be closed and immediate notice will be given.
Vacation
The provider will give a minimum of two weeks written notice when taking a vacation. An effort to take vacations at the same times every year will be made but may not always be possible. Payment is not expected for providers vacation. It is the client’s responsibility to find and fund alternative care. Some parents may want to take the same time off for vacation as the provider to make it easier.
In the case of your, the client, taking a vacation a minimum of two week’s written notice must be given. The provider offers you, the client, one week of vacation of 5 consecutive days without payment to the provider. A second week of 5 consecutive days at half of the regular rate is also given. Any vacation or additional time taken after that will be subject to the normal rate.
happykidschildcare 02:54 PM 05-19-2010
Hmm I get paid for some hoildays just the bigger ones. And I give them a option to take 2 wks off a year without having to pay any dc fees. Anymore time its 100 week to hold the spot. They do have to pay for sick days, dr appt days etc anything that they dont give me 2 wks notice for also.
Im wandering at the same time that a change and write up for 5 paid sick days a year if I should shorten the 2 weeks I give them to 1 week. idk...I dont wanna piss anyone off, Im such a worry wart
MarinaVanessa 03:37 PM 05-19-2010
Well just remember that you should do what works for you. Just because my policies are different than others doesn't mean that I or someone else is doing it wrong. I offer one week free for vacation and a 2nd at half price and you offer two weeks off. Great! Giving two weeks a year per family just wouldn't work for me financially. I have 5 paid sick days (which still to this day I have never used) not everybody has a sick policy. I give families a 10 hour a day max and will watch their kids even if they are not at work, I figure if you pay for the slot you should be able to use it whether you're working, napping, getting your hair done or running errands as long as you don't go out of your scheduled time slot but not everybody else does and that's ok. I also only take paid days for major holidays i.e. Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Some providers take less paid days off some take more. What I'm saying is that we all do what works better for us individually.

If you want to reduce the amount of vacation, do it. If you want to get 5 paid sick days, do it. It's your business afterall. If you're worried about making clients angry and losing them then talk to them about it and address any concerns. You could also amend one section like shortening the vacation time you give and then later down the road add the 5 paid sick days so that you aren't changing both at the same time. Think about it like this: if you throw a frog into a pot of boiling water it'll immediately jump out but if you put him in the pot and slowly raise the temperature in the end you'll have a cooked frog just how you wanted lol.
nannyde 04:03 PM 05-19-2010
I don't get sick days.

I contract to get 18 paid days off per year:

New Years
Memorial Day
4th July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas

One week paid week before Memorial Day
One week paid between Christmas and New Year

That's 18 days.

I earn 1.5 days paid per month

1.5 X 12 months = 18 days

If a parent leaves they pay in addition to their notice time 1.5 days for every month I work minus whatever days I have had off.

If they leave in April (for example) I would have earned 1.5 X 4 months = 6 days... but I would have only taken off New Years so far that year. So the parent must pay me 5 paid days on top of their notice to cover the vacation/holiday time I have EARNED.

I had a serious problem years ago of having parents leave in November right before Thanksgiving. I take 10 of my 18 paid days off in the six weeks between Thanksgiving and New Years (Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, 5 paid vacation days and New Years).

I had a problem with them leaving to avoid the two weeks paid off. I switched my contract to require them to pay up for accrued vacation pay no matter WHEN they left. If they have had the slot they pay for their portion of the vacation/holiday for that slot for that year.

It completely eliminated my problem. They know they have to pay their portion of the holiday/vacation time no matter when they leave.

The way I explain it is that I accrue holiday/vacation or paid time off just like a regular person does at their job. I only take what I earn.

I had a new family start two weeks ago. They were here just the last two weeks so when I go on vacation next week they will NOT have to pay for my vacation. I haven't earned it. They will pay for Memorial Day because I have earned 1.5 days of vacation by working for them in May. I will take one of the 1.5 days I have earned on Memorial Day.

So that's how I do it. It's kind of difficult to explain but very simple to understand if you can do simple math. I just take paid what I have earned. If I have only worked for them for a few months when I get ready to take the big break in Decemeber they only pay their part of that vacation. I only get paid what I have earned so it's fair to everyone.

Nan
professionalmom 05:46 PM 05-19-2010
I don't have limits on anything. I try to keep it as simple as possible.
Child absences: 2 week advance notice = 50% discount for that time
Less than 2 weeks notice (illness, etc.) = paid at full rate
This provides an incentive to give notice so I can properly adjust my budget, grocery shopping, etc and prepare for the loss in income.

Provider absence: 2 week advance notice = 50 % discount for that time
Less than 2 week notice (illness, etc.) = no charge for that time
This provides an incentive for me to give them advance notice so they can have adequate time to contact their backup.

Usually I give 3-4 weeks notice though. Holidays (in the contract) are paid at the full rate. Since the parents often get paid holidays, I do too.

Basically, if there is no notice, the one taking the absence takes the hit. If notice is given, we share the hit.

I haven't had any problems with this policy. Actually most say, "well that makes sense."
grandmom 06:11 PM 05-19-2010
My monthly fee includes all federal holidays except Veteran's Day, day after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve. I also have 2 weeks paid vacation. Parents vote on when to have it in January, it's usually in July or August, so everyone takes their vacation at the same time. I also have 2 floating holidays. Sometimes I take them, sometimes they carry over to the next year. So if 4th of July is on Tuesday, I am closed on Monday. Again, parents know the full year calendar in January.

How I implemented paid vacation: The year I started with paid vacation I told the parents that in lieu of a rate increase there would be one week paid. The following year was 2 weeks paid. The 3rd year, I increased the rates. New parents just pay the monthly fee and no one questions my paid days off now.

I have no paid sick days. I've not been sick enough to close. I have an assistant so if one of us is sick, the other can wing it for a day while the sick one is on the couch.
HeatherB 07:06 PM 05-19-2010
I get 10 paid holidays. 5 sick call off days & 5 days vacation PAID. Any other time I close is UNPAID!
originalkat 07:35 AM 05-20-2010
Here is what my Parent Handbook says:

Holidays

I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round education program. I try to recognize the needs of working parents and their families. Holidays and breaks are necessary for the well being of all. Please see the calendar for specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will observe it on either the Friday before or the Monday after.

We will be closed on the following paid holidays.

New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve (Close Early)
Christmas Day

Vacations

Each calendar year, Green Gate Preschool will be closed 2 weeks (10 days not including weekends) for provider’s vacation. Parents will be given as much advance notice as possible, with a minimum of 30 days. Vacations are typically taken 1-week during Christmas and 1-week in the Summer. No payment is required for the provider’s vacation. However, parents will be responsible for making alternate childcare arrangements while Green Gate Preschool is closed.

Parent’s Vacations

Parents will receive a one-week vacation coupon per calendar year to use if desired. Tuition will not be required for the one week vacation however, a two-week advance notice is necessary. You must turn in your Vacation Coupon in advance. It may not be used for the first or last week of care. And it must be used in a consecutive 5 day period. It may not be redeemed by the day.

Personal Leave

Green Gate Preschool is allotted up to five (5) paid personal days per calendar year for illness, training, or family emergencies. Parents are responsible for making alternate arrangements for childcare on provider’s personal days.
momma2girls 07:42 AM 05-20-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't get sick days.

I contract to get 18 paid days off per year:

New Years
Memorial Day
4th July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas

One week paid week before Memorial Day
One week paid between Christmas and New Year

That's 18 days.

I earn 1.5 days paid per month

1.5 X 12 months = 18 days

If a parent leaves they pay in addition to their notice time 1.5 days for every month I work minus whatever days I have had off.

If they leave in April (for example) I would have earned 1.5 X 4 months = 6 days... but I would have only taken off New Years so far that year. So the parent must pay me 5 paid days on top of their notice to cover the vacation/holiday time I have EARNED.

I had a serious problem years ago of having parents leave in November right before Thanksgiving. I take 10 of my 18 paid days off in the six weeks between Thanksgiving and New Years (Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, 5 paid vacation days and New Years).

I had a problem with them leaving to avoid the two weeks paid off. I switched my contract to require them to pay up for accrued vacation pay no matter WHEN they left. If they have had the slot they pay for their portion of the vacation/holiday for that slot for that year.

It completely eliminated my problem. They know they have to pay their portion of the holiday/vacation time no matter when they leave.

The way I explain it is that I accrue holiday/vacation or paid time off just like a regular person does at their job. I only take what I earn.

I had a new family start two weeks ago. They were here just the last two weeks so when I go on vacation next week they will NOT have to pay for my vacation. I haven't earned it. They will pay for Memorial Day because I have earned 1.5 days of vacation by working for them in May. I will take one of the 1.5 days I have earned on Memorial Day.

So that's how I do it. It's kind of difficult to explain but very simple to understand if you can do simple math. I just take paid what I have earned. If I have only worked for them for a few months when I get ready to take the big break in Decemeber they only pay their part of that vacation. I only get paid what I have earned so it's fair to everyone.

Nan
I have had the same thing happen to me. 2 weeks before we went to Florida for 1 week, I had a parent put in her 2 weeks notice, so she wouldn't have to pay me for my paid vac. I watched her son from Jan. and this was in Dec. plus he had seperation anxiety badly!!! I couldn't believe it!! From then on, I had to reword my contract, my vac. is still due to me, if you are quitting for any reason!!!! If you do daycare for any length of time, you will have lots of things happen to you, no matter how nice, how leniant you are with things, then you start putting your foot down, adding things the next yr. to your contract, and they quit for no reason!!!!!
misol 11:08 AM 05-20-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Here is what my Parent Handbook says:

Holidays

I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round education program. I try to recognize the needs of working parents and their families. Holidays and breaks are necessary for the well being of all. Please see the calendar for specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will observe it on either the Friday before or the Monday after.

We will be closed on the following paid holidays.

New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve (Close Early)
Christmas Day

Vacations

Each calendar year, Green Gate Preschool will be closed 2 weeks (10 days not including weekends) for provider’s vacation. Parents will be given as much advance notice as possible, with a minimum of 30 days. Vacations are typically taken 1-week during Christmas and 1-week in the Summer. No payment is required for the provider’s vacation. However, parents will be responsible for making alternate childcare arrangements while Green Gate Preschool is closed.

Parent’s Vacations

Parents will receive a one-week vacation coupon per calendar year to use if desired. Tuition will not be required for the one week vacation however, a two-week advance notice is necessary. You must turn in your Vacation Coupon in advance. It may not be used for the first or last week of care. And it must be used in a consecutive 5 day period. It may not be redeemed by the day.

Personal Leave

Green Gate Preschool is allotted up to five (5) paid personal days per calendar year for illness, training, or family emergencies. Parents are responsible for making alternate arrangements for childcare on provider’s personal days.
I like the idea of a coupon. Do you have terms/conditions written on the coupon? Two weeks notice? Cannot be combined with any other offer? Cannot be replaced if lost?
MarinaVanessa 11:21 AM 05-20-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I like the idea of a coupon. Do you have terms/conditions written on the coupon? Two weeks notice? Cannot be combined with any other offer? Cannot be replaced if lost?
I also like the idea of the coupon. This way parents are more inclined to give the coupon back within the right amount of time. Do you have them fill it out like the dates they'll be gone? I also want to know about the terms of your coupon and am curious to know what it looks like.

I'd like to start doing this and have them fill out the info maybe with a little section where I fill in the date that it was given to me (to make sure that it's at least 2 weeks notice).
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:30 AM 05-20-2010
lets think of how the coupon needs to be worded,.. Im absolutely doing this! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE IDEA!!!!!
originalkat 07:30 PM 05-20-2010
At the beginning of each calendar year I have an enrollment update. During this time I hand out updated parent handbook and new contract if new terms have been added. I also have the parents update phone/address/work etc.. and give me an updated immunization record. I mark all the updates with
"2010" or whatever the year so that I know which one is the most recent. I also hand out the Vacation coupon. It expires 12/31 of that calendar year.

I am not having any luck attaching a copy of the forms. I will try to take a picture and post it tomorrow so you can see what it looks like. I have the coupons and the Fee contract printed at Kinkos on NCF paper (the carbonless paper that you can write on and have a pink copy underneath) It is very inexpensive. That way, after the parents sign the contract I tear off their copy and send it home with them. Also, with the coupons, I fill out the very bottom and leave the top blank. When the parent wants to redeem it they fill in the dates etc... and turn it in. I initial it in the top corner and put the bottom copy in their file so they have record that they used it. I put the top copy in their file for future record. The Fee contract also defines the terms of the coupons as well.
This is what is printed in small type at the bottom of the coupon:

This coupon is redeemable for one week free tuition when your child is not in attendance. This coupon must be used during one consecutive 5-day period (excluding weekends). It may not be redeemed by the day. This coupon must be handled in the same manner as your tuition check. Coupons must be redeemed in advance or you will be charged the normal tuition rate.
momma2girls 05:12 AM 05-21-2010
Just a question for you- What if the family looses a coupon??
originalkat 06:21 AM 05-21-2010
Here is a picture of the coupon. Click on it to see a larger image.
preschool 046.jpg
Attached:
originalkat 06:24 AM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Just a question for you- What if the family looses a coupon??
Personally, I would still honor it. You know who has used their 1 week per year. The coupon just gives them a visual reminder that they need to tell me in advance. Plus it is a record of the vacation just in case there was any question later in the year. Most parents keep it in a safe place and turn it is as necessary.
momma2girls 06:31 AM 05-21-2010
Personally, I would still honor it. You know who has used their 1 week per year. The coupon just gives them a visual reminder that they need to tell me in advance. Plus it is a record of the vacation just in case there was any question later in the year. Most parents keep it in a safe place and turn it is as necessary.
I like this idea as well.
nannyde 06:36 AM 05-21-2010
I wouldn't do the coupons. I think it comes down to do you need to do this in order to land the contract? If you really feel you have to offer benefits in order to be picked then yes of course do that.

If you CAN get them to pay 52 weeks a year the same amount of money regardless of the child's attendance then why offer away two percent of your yearly income. It's a very signficant amount of money if you have a number of kids.

If I did offer that I would definitely NOT allow the coupon to be used until the family had done at least one full calander year. Otherwise you could end up with a short term use client who uses the week and it end up being 5 -- 10 percent of your income for that slot.
originalkat 07:18 AM 05-21-2010
I wouldn't do the coupons. I think it comes down to do you need to do this in order to land the contract? If you really feel you have to offer benefits in order to be picked then yes of course do that.

If you CAN get them to pay 52 weeks a year the same amount of money regardless of the child's attendance then why offer away two percent of your yearly income. It's a very signficant amount of money if you have a number of kids.

If I did offer that I would definitely NOT allow the coupon to be used until the family had done at least one full calander year. Otherwise you could end up with a short term use client who uses the week and it end up being 5 -- 10 percent of your income for that slot.
True-- I chose to offer my parents one free vacation week per year as a "benefit" to them. They do not all use it because they just dont have the time to take off work. They also dont use it all at the same time so it is easier to work into my budget. Also, that is one thing that should be added that I do not have at this point...a min. time frame before they may use it. Like 6 mo. or a year. I would HIGHLY recommend that.
melissa ann 07:35 AM 05-21-2010
I'm changing my handbook. Right now, I have 10 holidays, 5 days vacation and 5 days personsal, all unpaid. I was giving parents a free vacation week with a min of 2 week notice. But have decided that they will pay the 3 day min rate for any vacaton time taken. I also will not rasie my rates this year. I did last year but did not make any major payment changes. Next year, I will more than likely raise my rates.
momma2girls 08:00 AM 05-21-2010

I like the idea of the coupons, but as for right now, I don't give breaks for vac. sicknesses, etc. now if I am sick or my child, I take it out of my vac. or take it unpaid. It hasn't ever happened in over 6 yrs. though. I have been lucky!!!
misol 08:53 AM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
I like the idea of the coupons, but as for right now, I don't give breaks for vac. sicknesses, etc. now if I am sick or my child, I take it out of my vac. or take it unpaid. It hasn't ever happened in over 6 yrs. though. I have been lucky!!!
Ditto. Should I choose to offer this benefit I will probably use the coupons. Right now though, my parents pay whether their child is here or not. I think it's a nice gesture for parents who have been here a year or more.

Might need to add something that says the couopn is only redeemable if your account is in good standing.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:34 AM 05-21-2010
I already offer them one free week per year, I think the coupon would make it easier to keep track. I think I will handle the dates as follows,.. I redo all my contracts and have a family conference in Aug. I think I will add this little coupon to that meeting. I will include that account must be in good standing and 2 weeks notice must be recieved. Maybe a Todays date, dates requested for vacation, notice approved signature.
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 05-22-2010
Here is a picture of the coupon. Click on it to see a larger image.
Attachment 23
I love it. I'll definetely be doing this from now on.
kdparadise 10:23 AM 05-26-2010
I love Nanny-De's 18 days accrued contract and have finally settled on your policy with a modification! Thank you! I'm going to charge a weekly fee of the accrued 18 paid days per year, which is 1/4 of the 1.5 x 18 monthly days + tax. This way it's not a huge amount they owe at the end of a year or quarter for the parent. People get sticker shock and never like large sums. It will just be a line item less glaring I'm calling a PTO fee.

I was worried if you collected yearly or bi-yearly or at the end of a parents contract you might even run into problems collecting on the amount owed.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:05 AM 05-26-2010
I raised my rates 5 dollars a week starting with any new clients. I have one starting june 28!!!!
Tags:coupons, handbook, paid days, sick days
Reply Up